Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Marykatesmom

Viking Air Information

Recommended Posts

I've checked the prices and if I stay with Viking it would be much cheaper than paying directly.  I purchased Air Plus but have to wait until Wednesday to get my flights.  They did sound very helpful when I spoke to them.  
 

How do upgrades work?  I want to travel Comfort + on Delta not economy.  Do I just pay the difference in price that I see online?

 

Do I get to pick my seats?  I know I don't want to travel in the first row of Comfort + as there is no seat in front of you and all bags go overhead.  I need to be able to get to the granola bars in my purse.

 

If I stay two days past my cruise I am obligated to also pay a deviation fee on top of Air Plus? 

 

The outbound transfers only take you to the airport so we would lose those.  I wish they would take you downtown instead.  I would consider doing the Miami post cruise through Viking but they only do Pre-cruise.  My guess it that the post cruise is over the weekend (why we are staying) while pre-cruise is mid-week.

 

Any other tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marykatesmom said:

I've checked the prices and if I stay with Viking it would be much cheaper than paying directly.  I purchased Air Plus but have to wait until Wednesday to get my flights.  They did sound very helpful when I spoke to them.  
 

How do upgrades work?  I want to travel Comfort + on Delta not economy.  Do I just pay the difference in price that I see online?

 

Do I get to pick my seats?  I know I don't want to travel in the first row of Comfort + as there is no seat in front of you and all bags go overhead.  I need to be able to get to the granola bars in my purse.

 

If I stay two days past my cruise I am obligated to also pay a deviation fee on top of Air Plus? 

 

The outbound transfers only take you to the airport so we would lose those.  I wish they would take you downtown instead.  I would consider doing the Miami post cruise through Viking but they only do Pre-cruise.  My guess it that the post cruise is over the weekend (why we are staying) while pre-cruise is mid-week.

 

Any other tips?

Regarding upgrades, it depends on whether Viking has a contract for those category of seats & separate pricing - check with Viking Air on that.  Viking Air should be able to pick your seats - if not immediately, once you have a ticket, you can go online to Delta & pick your seats.  Yes, if you stay two days past, you need to pay a deviation fee on top of Air Plus.  I would check & make sure that there is no Miami post extension - sometimes Viking will add extensions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SM77 said:

 I would check & make sure that there is no Miami post extension - sometimes Viking will add extensions.  

 

But you could do it yourself and save some money.  If you go early or stay later there is only one deviation fee of $100 and if your paying money for the deviation and and Air plus, why not save some where you can.  The port is easy to navigate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dreamercruise said:

Anyone has flight schedule change as a result of grounding of Boeing 737-Max planes?

 

Yes, see post #25 in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SM77 said:

 I would check & make sure that there is no Miami post extension - sometimes Viking will add extensions.  

 

Viking is asking $600pp for two nights at the Hilton Cabana; you can probably make your own arrangements including paying the deviation fee and transfers for less than what Viking is charging for the extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Viking is asking $600pp for two nights at the Hilton Cabana; you can probably make your own arrangements including paying the deviation fee and transfers for less than what Viking is charging for the extension.

 

The rooms are renting for around $ 300 a night so you can see the inflated prices and probably not much is included from Viking.  You can certainly do better on your own even with transfers and spend that extra money on something that enhances the trip, rather than drains the bank account.  Luckily, most people there speak English so you shouldn't have much trouble navigating the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all.  I booked two nights at the Cadillac Hotel for $570 Oceanfront with a balcony.  We stayed there last month and really enjoyed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, Marykatesmom said:

 

Thanks.  I reread your post.  How far in advance can you book the flights?   I have until 6 months out to pay for my vacation.  I pay a portion every month to break things up.   I'm worried my TA (who is new to Viking) isn't going to handle the "Custom Air" very well.  

 

I need to upgrade to Business as well.  I booked on board and they could only book economy.  When should I upgrade?  Should I look at the flights first to see if it is a good deal? 

Research flights.  Give preferences to TA.  Buy custom Air.  Have TA work with Viking custom Air with your preferences.  Gotta pay in full to get ticketed.
I've also gone direct to the airline myself to upgrade.  It depends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a TA (but) still have used Viking Air.  I do a lot of checking, but I haven't found cheaper flights than what it cost with Viking.  Last year I used miles (points) and did the flights myself.

 

On our trip this year we are in first class (domestic) then business class (international).  I priced out our flights myself and it was cheaper with Viking.  We have one stops each way, back and forth through JFK.  (RDU-JFK-VCE-BCN-JFK-RDU).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Since we will only have a long flight one direction here's hoping the cost will be 1/2 of your round trip cost. Thanks for the info!

I have heard that on some airlines you cannot upgrade from  economy class.  We have been able to upgrade on American, Delta and KLM but not sure what airlines won't let you upgrade.  Just letting you know so you can ask first when using air plus to make sure you can upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ienjoycruising said:

I have heard that on some airlines you cannot upgrade from  economy class.  We have been able to upgrade on American, Delta and KLM but not sure what airlines won't let you upgrade.  Just letting you know so you can ask first when using air plus to make sure you can upgrade.

 

I believe that it has more to do with the class of your economy ticket and what the rules are for the particular airline. It might be best to use Custom Air if you are planning to upgrade so that you won't be guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Ienjoycruising said:

I have heard that on some airlines you cannot upgrade from  economy class.  We have been able to upgrade on American, Delta and KLM but not sure what airlines won't let you upgrade.  Just letting you know so you can ask first when using air plus to make sure you can upgrade.

One can upgrade to Economy Plus on United. After the ticket is actually purchased by Viking Air for you  - not just reserved - you can go online and upgrade for $$. If you're a frequent flier you just login and access your reservation; if not, use the 6 character confirmation number and your last name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, Peregrina651 said:

 

I believe that it has more to do with the class of your economy ticket and what the rules are for the particular airline. It might be best to use Custom Air if you are planning to upgrade so that you won't be guessing.

The fare class of your ticket (speaking from years of experience with United) only matters if you're trying to use frequent flier miles. If you're willing to pay, I don't think it matters. I haven't found any United low cost economy fare class, e.g., K, Q, H, S, (less than full fare economy which is Y) I haven't been able to pay to upgrade to EconomyPlus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used Viking Air one way return from Miami to Newark.  Booked cruise 8 months out but despite several calls didn't get our air reservations  confirmed until 45 days before sailing.  VO simply said we had gotten lost in their system.  Once we were confirmed on AA we were able to visit the AA web site and upgrade to economy +,

 

Question:  This weekend VO is offering "free" economy air on several sailings.  We're thinking about London  - NY this August.  I'm also a big guy and hate the prospect of a long flight in coach.  Newark to London flights are currently running around $600 in coach vs $6000 business class.  If I trade up through Viking should I expect the business class upgrade to cost me the difference, around $5400?  Is this something best discussed with VO or Viking Air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Question:  This weekend VO is offering "free" economy air on several sailings.  We're thinking about London  - NY this August.  I'm also a big guy and hate the prospect of a long flight in coach.  Newark to London flights are currently running around $600 in coach vs $6000 business class.  If I trade up through Viking should I expect the business class upgrade to cost me the difference, around $5400?  Is this something best discussed with VO or Viking Air?

Viking will quote you a price for business class and apply any offered dollar discount that is on the website.  If you do go with Viking Air make sure you get Air Plus so that you can work with them on your flights.  Balance must be paid in full before you can ticket the flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We used Viking Air one way return from Miami to Newark.  Booked cruise 8 months out but despite several calls didn't get our air reservations  confirmed until 45 days before sailing.  VO simply said we had gotten lost in their system.  Once we were confirmed on AA we were able to visit the AA web site and upgrade to economy +,

 

Question:  This weekend VO is offering "free" economy air on several sailings.  We're thinking about London  - NY this August.  I'm also a big guy and hate the prospect of a long flight in coach.  Newark to London flights are currently running around $600 in coach vs $6000 business class.  If I trade up through Viking should I expect the business class upgrade to cost me the difference, around $5400?  Is this something best discussed with VO or Viking Air?

 

IMHO, best discussed with Viking. The pricing is not as simple as adding and subtracting what you see on the internet. If Viking can beat the price you see on the internet, then go with Viking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Viking was $1500 cheaper than Delta per person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, when we tried to parlay our “free” air promo into business class, Viking gave us a price that was more expensive than what we could buy ourselves...so we will be flying long-haul coach next Friday for the first time in 10 years. 😢

 

Only time will tell if Viking “Free” Air is Worth it. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

IMHO, best discussed with Viking. The pricing is not as simple as adding and subtracting what you see on the internet. If Viking can beat the price you see on the internet, then go with Viking.

 

Thanks Peregrina

 

Did just that.  Spent some time on phone with Trent in VO sales.  He quoted me one way business class of $2249 vs $6000 direct through UAL.  Looks like a great price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, Marykatesmom said:

I've checked the prices and if I stay with Viking it would be much cheaper than paying directly.  I purchased Air Plus but have to wait until Wednesday to get my flights.  They did sound very helpful when I spoke to them.  
 

How do upgrades work?  I want to travel Comfort + on Delta not economy.  Do I just pay the difference in price that I see online?

 

Do I get to pick my seats?  I know I don't want to travel in the first row of Comfort + as there is no seat in front of you and all bags go overhead.  I need to be able to get to the granola bars in my purse.

 

If I stay two days past my cruise I am obligated to also pay a deviation fee on top of Air Plus? 

 

The outbound transfers only take you to the airport so we would lose those.  I wish they would take you downtown instead.  I would consider doing the Miami post cruise through Viking but they only do Pre-cruise.  My guess it that the post cruise is over the weekend (why we are staying) while pre-cruise is mid-week.

 

Any other tips?

My recent experience with Delta and Viking Air (this week) resulted in my buying my Comfort Plus tickets directly with Delta.   For tickets to South America (for the Chilean Fiords and Cape Horn cruise), Viking offered a discount of only $200 on economy tickets ($1499 per person v. $1699 published fare).  I checked and found out the included fares were valid on the flights I wanted (the only non-stops between the destination and Atlanta each way), but the agent was pretty quick to tell me that if I wanted Comfort Plus seats they would essentially be the same price if I booked them directly with Delta and that I likely wouldn't see any discount at all.  (They tried but were inexplicably unable to pull up the Comfort Plus fares for this particular itinerary while I was on the phone with them.)  The "buy direct" Comfort Plus fares were $1999 (by contrast, the First Class tix were over $7,000!).  In any event, even though the flights are not until next January, the Comfort Plus seats were already filling up and I didn't want to get blocked out since these are 10-hour flights.  So, I went ahead and bought them directly, using my Delta Amex card to get bonus miles for the purchase.  If you go through Viking and can get the Comfort Plus seats, they will not be able to reserve specific seats well in advance unless you've paid for your cruise in full (my payment is not due until July so I wasn't really interested in paying Viking a substantial amount of money any earlier than I had to!).  I also feared not being able to get decent seats if I waited.  On our most recent cruise, I used Viking Air Plus and ended up getting the same horrible itinerary I would have gotten had I not paid the extra for Viking Air and wound up with a lovely 3:00 a.m. disembarkation time in Athens.  I tried on those flights (Delta one way and Air France on the return) to upgrade to Comfort Plus and was not able to do that - the Viking booked tickets were not upgradeable outside the economy cabin.  I could "upgrade" to exit row and preferred seats in economy, but not Comfort Plus.  The bottom line is that you really need to make sure you understand the difference between booking directly and booking through Viking Air.  I wanted my particular seats and didn't want to pay the full amount due on my cruise early.  The price ended up being the same, I got the flights and Comfort Plus seats that I wanted and bonus miles for booking on my credit card.  I did opt to pay the extra transfer fees to take care of transportation from the airport to the ship and back, which would have been included had I used Viking Air, but I was happy to do that to get my preferred seats in my preferred class.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

 

You're going to do a drive by and not even tell us why?  😟

Sorry for the delay -- had to wait 'til I was home and could post from my home computer rather than my mobile phone.  So .. ok .. cuz you asked. Because Delta treated me like dirt for no good reason many years ago and I've never ever forgiven them for it.  I still believe it had to do with the fact I was a United frequent flier with Premium Executive status flying on a ticket booked thru United but with one leg on Delta.  

 

My daughter (now 30) was in middle school at the time and there was a mother-daughter event scheduled to occur on the day after a meeting I had to attend in Arizona.  The only way I could manage both the trip (couldn't skip) and attend the middle-school event was to do a red-eye back from Tucson.  The only way I could do that and stay mostly on United was to do a red-eye on Delta from Tucson to Atlanta and then United Express back to Dulles.  When I arrived at the airport in Tucson for my return flight and checked into the Delta desk, all went well until they looked at my  ticket (this was before e-tickets etc but after 9-11) and saw the words "United" and "PremierExec" on it.  Then their attitude changed.  Smiles were transformed into frowns and outright sneers.  All of a sudden they said my ticket was "flagged" as a one-way even tho it was clear I was on a return flight -- therefore my bags MUST be searched before I could proceed.  So they searched my dirty clothes.  And if that's all they'd done, I'd be OK.  But it wasn't.  They must have flagged my boarding pass in some way because when I went thru the TSA screening, I was subjected to even more scrutiny.  At the gate, when I was in line to board -- my boarding pass popped up with an alert subjecting me to even more searches -- my laptop bag & purse including a pat down.  When I was at last allowed to board, I discovered to my dismay they'd changed my seat assignment to someplace the most uncomfortable they could think of rather than the seat I had picked as the most comfortable for doing a red-eye.   When I arrived in Atlanta and asked the Delta agent for help finding my United gate she laughed in my face.  After that experience, I vowed I would NEVER fly on Delta again and I haven't. I was very sad when Northwest was bought out by Delta.  It was indeed n excellent airline - knew how to treat customers .. even "orphans" as I was one time from a cancelled United flight. 

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...