Cruise Critic Community
Texas Tillie

New Website!

Our biggest problem with the new web site is the inability to see entertainers, officers, and lecturers.  The second thing we miss are updated camera views and the computer room view.  We really do like the on-line booking ability.  We stopped using travel agents years ago and wish Crystal would drop them completely.  We always hate seeing travel agents come on board in ports, causing the crew to have to work their "events" instead of being able to go ashore.  We have booked directly through Crystal ever since it became an option.  The more we can do on our own, the happier we are. 

30 minutes ago, Mike808 said:

We stopped using travel agents years ago and wish Crystal would drop them completely.  We always hate seeing travel agents come on board in ports, causing the crew to have to work their "events" instead of being able to go ashore

What a strange comment. I totally disagree with you on your suggestion that Crystal stop using TAs - Travel Agents perform a valuable service for Crystal customers. Sure it’s your call if you want to book direct - go right ahead but don’t stop others from having the option to utilise them and enjoy the services and benefits they provide 

Having TAs visit the ships while in port is ok - as long as it’s kept in perspective and doesn’t impact guests. What Crystal chose to do with their resources, including staff, is entirely their decision. My observation is that visiting TAs only use facilities that are open for guests anyway 

It would be a bold move indeed should Crystal choose to eliminate TAs as one of their channels to market - the logical outcome would be that TAs would promote other lines that they could book to their clients and therefore Crystal would have to spend a lot of marketing money on trying to reach individuals and attract them to the line - good luck with that 

1 hour ago, Mike808 said:

Our biggest problem with the new web site is the inability to see entertainers, officers, and lecturers.  The second thing we miss are updated camera views and the computer room view.  We really do like the on-line booking ability.  We stopped using travel agents years ago and wish Crystal would drop them completely.  We always hate seeing travel agents come on board in ports, causing the crew to have to work their "events" instead of being able to go ashore.  We have booked directly through Crystal ever since it became an option.  The more we can do on our own, the happier we are. 

You might remember (or not) Renaissance Cruise Lines. They thought they could do away with TAs too, and in fact did. They had 8 ships in total, four of which now belong to Oceania, three to Azamara and one to Princess. While I was not in the industry then,  the model did not work, and 9/11 finally pushed them into bankruptcy.

The TA community (full disclosure, and as the regulars here know, I am a TA) is, in fact, the direct customer link to the cruising public and the lines would have to hire (and pay) massive numbers of staff to replace us, and those costs would in all probability come from higher fares. We are paid a commission by the cruise lines and our services to the public are, in most cases, provided free of charge. As a matter of practice, you pay the same rate booking direct as you would through a TA. 

As to TA ship inspections, they are (with the odd exception of overnights) during the day, when most guests are on shore, and as Stickman pointed out, they are using facilities that are available to guests staying onboard, and are therefore already being staffed. I don't know this, but I suspect TA visits keep very few staff from going ashore in any given port.

By all means if you prefer to book directly with Crystal continue to do so, but that does not mean everyone else should too. There is no "right" way to book a cruise. 

Edited by Roland4

Now I can't log in! It starts to load the login page then reverts to whatever page I was on before.

From my non-cruise critic friends, their number 1 complaint is the missing entertainment page. 

1 minute ago, TER777 said:

Now I can't log in! It starts to load the login page then reverts to whatever page I was on before.

From my non-cruise critic friends, their number 1 complaint is the missing entertainment page. 

It’s certainly a challenge isn’t it.  I’m finding it very inconsistent and what you can access or see one day may not be what you can do or see the next day...  I’m baffled by the poster who recommends Crystal do away with travel agents and direct sell only - if they had to rely on their website for all their business I’m not sure they would survive for long!!!! 

Anne..

In support of using a TA - when you need them you really need one and a great one.  As I've written before getting off a cruise ship in Europe on 9/11 and trying to figure a way home as soon as it was possible took a great TA with flexible ideas that were constantly communicated with us.  Sure if everything goes great then maybe the value goes down but for things such as cruises in different countries  wouldn't try without.

I'm a little baffled by the lack of response by Crystal and even fixing things on the new web site.  Even a "we know there are things ..... and we are working to fix them and thank you for your patience type meaningless response would be better than this.  Maybe everyone at Crystal is taking the holiday period off - good thing after you roll out a major change. 

11 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

I’m baffled by the poster who recommends Crystal do away with travel agents and direct sell only - if they had to rely on their website for all their business I’m not sure they would survive for long!!!! 

They know what happened to Renaissance cruise lines! The vast majority of people (90% or so) book with travel agents for cruises.

They actually have fixed a few things. Small things. Now, only my cruises that I have sailed show up, not ones I have received quotes on.

Edited by Coral

Finally home from holiday trip and signed in - several past voyages are missing but all future voyages are listed...anyone figure out how to get past voyages listed?

I sent an email to my amazing TA and she contacted her amazing contact at Crystal who checked and verified our past cruises at the correct number and said they are aware of the issues people are concerned about and the IT people are “on it” as well. Also she said the Entertainment list can be accessed internally at this time and it sounded like will be available when they get their act together. So for us, it seems Crystal rushed the new site but will at some point catch up. Hope this helps lower the angst. :classic_cool:

43 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

it seems Crystal rushed the new site but will at some point catch up. Hope this helps lower the angst. :classic_cool:

Thanks

If this is correct it is indeed good news

The angst would be easily avoided if Crystal staff had bothered to communicate the situation and their plans to CC members - just as they announced the change to members when it was rolled out - and asked for members assistance in reporting issues

To date I haven't seen anyone say they have heard diddly squat from Crystal on the website - Id be interested if those who have reported issues have received any response from Crystal

Crystals back office failure to communicate with this community is an ongoing disappointment - and entirely avoidable

We had two related issues that I reported to Crystal that their IT department resolved for us this past Thursday and Friday respectively.

When I set up my log in I made a mistake and ended up with my daughter's Crystal Society information.  I couldn't change the Crystal Society information.  They fixed this for me but then I was getting my wife Anne Marie's information.  They fixed that for me and mine is now working.

Then we ran into problems with Anne Marie's.  We couldn't get her information and I believe that was because it was somehow associated with my e-mail. This was corrected yesterday.

So now I can go into the system and get all of our upcoming voyages including all the ones we are on for the next few months as they involve two different Crystal reservation numbers in addition to our current one.  I can see key details such as the room numbers and categories and most importantly when I click on the summary or whatever it is called I can get into PCPC without having to retype in my booking confirmation.  I really like that because before I had to copy and paste each one and on this trip with three different booking numbers it made it cumbersome when I was making specialty restaurant reservations and looking at and booking shore excursions.

All of my future booking are showing up all the way through 2021 and I like the ease of seeing them.

I don't see my history now which I assume because they are working to fix that.  Then again I never could see my history in the old site. Hopefully that will be corrected soon but it has no impact on what I am trying to use the site for.

Being on a cruise right now I am not spending a lot of time on the site.  I have looked up some cruises though for ourselves and when assisting others with questions on the board and I find it easier to use then the old site.  Like anything new I had to get used to the placement of some items but then again that has been the case when our financial institutions, airlines that we frequently use and even stores that we shop at have changed their sites.  When that happens it take me a bit of time to get used to where everything is.  Even today one store we shop at frequently on line I still have to think a bit where to find things such as current charges and bill payment and orders pending.

I have sent in some suggestions to make it easier to find things.  I am not sure if those are possible to implement but think they would be helpful for those using the site.

Keith

I just looked and from what I can see it is listing all of my past voyages in terms of the dates

For me this is not really important but it's good to see a what dates we previously sailed.

We received a copy of all our cruises at the Crystal Society Desk which 

I found to be very useful as it also included the room numbers we have stayed in.

As I mentioned earlier I do love that it shows each of the future cruises we have booked, with a few details including

the room we have booked and I do love that from there we can get to PCPC and not have to key in our name and

booking number.

I do think that the site is much better than the previous one and I am sure with each passing day/week/month it will get better.

I am not making excuses but I read many of the cruise line boards when we are at home and I don't know of any new website for a cruise line where people didn't have a lot of criticisms about it.

In terms of live views right now we are not seeing them from the ship so this is one not to blame the website for.  

Again some items to enhance and to fix but  I do believe this site is much better than the previous one and should continue to get better.

Keith

Keith, I believe it’s because you are on the ship but us land side are having a big problems researching information.  The site has a multitude of problems right now as many others have mentioned.  I can’t find our many past cruises that disappeared.  I will let my TA know when she returns.

MalbecWine good idea to have your TA help you when she returns.

In my case being on the ship has not related to this one.

As I mentioned earlier I had issues with logging in and being able to get my e-mail linked with my Crystal Society number and IT fixed that.  I also had a similar problem with Anne Marie's which they fixed the following day.

I did communicate with them that people were having trouble seeing past cruises.  By the time they got my Crystal Society numbers linked with our respective e-mails and I went on line I then saw all of our past cruises.  Again seeing them is not important to me but seeing all the future ones is great because I can log into PCPC from each voyage and not have to key in our name and the confirmation number.  Really makes things a lot easier.

Keith

I am missing my two from 2017. I think others specifically mentioned those were what they also were missing.

There's no rush for it to be fixed so I'll certainly wait until after the short first week of 2019.

Funnier than that is where it says it's 175 days to my next cruise, which is actually one I cancelled. That cruise shows up with the same confirmation number as the cruise I booked in its place. Again it's nothing drastic. I would so much rather see the enrichment and entertainment staff!

--Muriel

Well, now on iPhone, it won’t load the list of past cruises but I can tell by the number that 2017 is still missing. 

A friend and I were just working on shore excursions. We found it very annoying that the start time and price were not listed on the same page. 

Also, when closing the tour description pop up window, it went to the top of the list instead of where in the list it came from. And the ability to click on the tour description would be very useful. 

selected our excursions couple of weeks ago (for river cruise on Mozart ) Now 3 days (out of 10) selections are missing!!

20 minutes ago, docmark said:

selected our excursions couple of weeks ago (for river cruise on Mozart ) Now 3 days (out of 10) selections are missing!!

docmark:

I believe this one was not impacted by the new website as the only thing the new website does is provide a link to PCPC.

I did check all of my Mozart excursions after reading your post and they are all in place and none are missing.

I would select them again and what I do is print out the confirmations so that I have a printed record of what I booked so that if they did go missing and I could not book them again I could show that I did book them.  

Happy New Year.

39 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

docmark:

I believe this one was not impacted by the new website as the only thing the new website does is provide a link to PCPC.

I did check all of my Mozart excursions after reading your post and they are all in place and none are missing.

I would select them again and what I do is print out the confirmations so that I have a printed record of what I booked so that if they did go missing and I could not book them again I could show that I did book them.  

Happy New Year.

Thanks Keith

But unfortunately there are NO "complimentary" excursions listed now for DAY 1, only 2 tours at~$800 PP

I know you are following us on Mozart, can I ask what "comp" tours are listed for you on Day 1 ?

Thanks in advance and happy new year to you

2 hours ago, docmark said:

Thanks Keith

But unfortunately there are NO "complimentary" excursions listed now for DAY 1, only 2 tours at~$800 PP

I know you are following us on Mozart, can I ask what "comp" tours are listed for you on Day 1 ?

Thanks in advance and happy new year to you

Hopefully Keith can answer soon.

I returned in November on the Mozart and can tell you that I did not pay for any excursions - all the ones I chose were free (including Day 1 and Day 2). I am sure it is just a web glitch. There were a few to pay for and you could book a private driver but oddly - all the ones I wanted were the free ones. The Mozart was great - loved it. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Docmark I just sent you information although I only noted what we booked.

Here is what I see that are complimentary on Day 1.

For Day 1 I only see the private vehicles.  I didn't book anything day 1 as we will be in Vienna for a few days prior to boarding and wanted to get settled on the vessel that day.

Day 2 has one complimentary tour listed although it does show the tour I have booked in my reservations even though it is not listed. 

I would have your TA followup on this one. It is possible it is either a glitch or they are updating the tours for Vienna.

Keith

Dear Valued Cruise Critic Members,

Happy New Year! We hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.

We want to thank you for all your feedback on the new website. As we noted in our earlier message, a project of this magnitude that includes more than 6,000 unique pages may have problems and errors. We are continuing to work through these issues and we appreciate your patience during this first release of the website.

A few specific notes to some of the feedback we have received:

1. Camera time stamps are a technical glitch and it is currently being resolved;
2. The computer lab cameras are being relocated and will be available shortly;
3. As it relates to listing officers, crew and entertainers, this information was not included in the initial release as we are working on upgrading the functionality on the back end to deliver the most comprehensive and accurate experience. We will be including this information in a release in the near future;
4. Voyage numbers can be found in the URL address and can be used in the search function;
5. We are continuing to address the listing of voyages;
6. As noted above, other issues are being addressed and fixes will be included in future releases;
7. If you have a specific issue, please click the Website Feedback link in the footer of the website or email webfeedback@crystalcruises.com and we will address as promptly as possible. 

Thank you again for your continued support and your feedback. We truly appreciate it!

Kari Tarnowski
Vice President, Marketing