What is it really like in Britannia Club?

AspirationalFlyer

I’ve mentioned on the forum that my recent three night trip was my first experience in Britannia Club. I wanted to add a short post (with photos) around how the Cunard marketing compares with the reality. 

Cunard promises (amongst other things): 

Spacious balcony cabin 

Pillow menu 

Enhanced dining

Balcony cabin: we stayed in QE 8039. It was very similar to our Britannia statement on previous Cunard voyages and certainly no bigger than what we’ve had before. I had mixed feelings about the location. It was in a good location for the gym, Commodore Club and Yacht Club but a good walk to dinner every evening. My Mum thought this stateroom was in a less stable location than our oceanview cabin on QV. Bottom line: no real improvement. 

Pillow menu: was not offered, nor did we need it. There were two very good pillows already on the bed. Bottom line: disconnect between the marketing and what was being offered in practice. Seemed a bit of a gimmick. 

Dining: I will restrict my comments to the dinner service. We never ate in the restaurant at lunchtime, but did have breakfast on two of the three days we were onboard. 

With BC you arrive at anytime (within the designated meal slots) and have your own allocated table. We had our own table for 2, although tables were close together and everyone seemed to be able to overhear our conversations! In practice, we did arrive at about 8-8:30pm every evening anyway but it was great not to queue and go straight to our table (the queue for regular Britannia class was very long and way down the corridor). There was a greater selection of food and I had escargot every night (there is a 20 minute wait, but that was just a good opportunity to order 2 starters.....!). 

There was a really extensive selection of main courses, all of which were excellent. I didn’t realise until the last night you can order side dishes too. The creamed potatos were great.....! 

The desserts were a little unimaginative but ok. I was really keen to try the flambe, but whilst it was on the menu I was told it was not available on shorter cruises.  I’d suggest saving your appetite for the cheese. The cheese trolley was wonderful and the selection changed every night. The only consistency was the amazing mound of Stilton. All of the cheeses were served with as many crackers and as much chutney, apricots and grapes as you liked. Yum! 

Our waiter was efficient and attentive, although not particularly friendly. Some of the other restaurant staff were delightful. 

Is BC worth it? In my view, the only real benefit over regular Britannia class is the restaurant and food. The flexibility to arrive whenever we liked, never queueing, the greater selection of food and more attentive service certainly worked for us. Provided you are paying a small premium (in our case about £30-£35 pp extra per day) we thought it was worth it. I’d be reluctant to pay much more. It may be better to spend your money on speciality dining in the Verandah and cocktails! 

2FD61754-04A6-4E50-B848-744BFFE58F0F.jpeg

AFFB885D-4353-4A02-BCCC-C7B4871F0DC3.jpeg

989F0CCA-285B-451A-9661-73C957CE3C16.jpeg

A95682DF-C207-4C86-B189-B410AA75AB9B.jpeg

49B471D1-0994-412B-8FA3-3F26C61B11FE.jpeg

6162B35A-2F7F-480D-BCFC-83C6A7AF7CDD.jpeg

83786839-23B1-4355-9318-AE6726CF9995.jpeg

6C858945-943D-44A0-94C0-B99D000925BC.jpeg

260D5ACE-9AA1-4C59-9609-ADF767234DDF.jpeg

66AC60E2-3EF1-49A7-85CD-A89B7BF4BC28.jpeg

2144C1E1-7F31-4CBE-BDCF-17F6A3723BA3.jpeg

E8345B1C-CE14-4240-A28E-CBC6BA91A543.jpeg

45989FD9-C74D-45B8-8C21-51429DEAC651.jpeg

0F759602-D9E7-47EF-AB32-E62DA1808E7F.jpeg

2BF60790-4EA6-4EE6-8CB0-066AE8B89563.jpeg

2C11DA58-B342-42DB-8D7E-7F82477FF4CB.jpeg

A9E65F02-B41C-470C-8719-72D7258EA5A8.jpeg

• Like 1

Great report, thanks.

I agree about Britannia Club, the dining is great and if you can get it for not much more than an ordinary Britannia, I'd go for it. The rooms are the same size as most of the other Balcony cabins and on QE/QV aren't in a great location.

Thanks for this excellent report. Can anyone say how likely we would be to get a table for 2 in the restaurant? Early saver fare brings the cost down considerably and for us the only benefit of select fare would be the free coach and port shuttles which would not add up to the several hundred pound price difference. Our recent cruises have been with Azamara and Oceania where its turn up at any time dining (within the opening times) and a table for 2 guaranteed if you are prepared to wait. Any information gratefully received. Many thanks.

Thank you for your great presentation.

Can't wait till our sailing in July in Club Class.

This will be our 4th time in Club and looking forward too it again. Of course, hoping maybe the Upgrade Fairy may pay a visit.

Once again, Thank you.....

Hello, 

On my last trip, I booked the early saver fare (we’ve never booked the Cunard fare) and was allocated a table for two without issue. I did call beforehand (when I ordered the cake shown above) and asked if my table request could be noted in my booking. 

On previous trips we have been allocated an early sitting on a group table when we preferred the exact opposite. I’d just recommend checking your allocation as you soon as you enter your stateroom and, if you’re unhappy, take your card to the restaurant as soon as you can and ask for it to be changed. Done quickly and without fuss in our case. 

I just wonder if those that book the Cunard fares are given priority for complementary upgrades. 

30 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello, 

On my last trip, I booked the early saver fare (we’ve never booked the Cunard fare) and was allocated a table for two without issue. I did call beforehand (when I ordered the cake shown above) and asked if my table request could be noted in my booking. 

On previous trips we have been allocated an early sitting on a group table when we preferred the exact opposite. I’d just recommend checking your allocation as you soon as you enter your stateroom and, if you’re unhappy, take your card to the restaurant as soon as you can and ask for it to be changed. Done quickly and without fuss in our case. 

I just wonder if those that book the Cunard fares are given priority for complementary upgrades. 

Many thanks for your reply this  is really helpful.

re your comment: we have been allocated an early sitting on a group table

So it would appear if we were allocated a group table we would have a set dining time. That doesn't match with what I have read which I thought was dine whenever you please. So glad you posted this information - thanks.

30 minutes ago, alanbab said:

Many thanks for your reply this  is really helpful.

re your comment: we have been allocated an early sitting on a group table

So it would appear if we were allocated a group table we would have a set dining time. That doesn't match with what I have read which I thought was dine whenever you please. So glad you posted this information - thanks.

Sorry. Perhaps I should have been clearer. 

If you are in BC you might get allocated a group table, but I assume you can still arrive whenever you want within opening hours. I assume you must be able to ask to be moved from a group to a 2 person table. 

If you are in regular Britannia you get allocated a table and a particular setting (early or late). In our case and my example above, we changed both. 

No idea about the Grills. I’ve never tried either PG or QG. 

I hope that helps and makes sense. 

AF

19 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

I think your advice about changing dining by just taking your card to the restaurant when you board is a little optimistic. If you want to change from early to late sitting your chance is probably good. However the reverse can be very difficult. We prefer late, but book the Cunard fare anyway if in the MDR. On a very recent cruise we certainly came across people who wanted to change from late to early, and it had not been possible. 

It comes down to the fact that if you book a a Saver Fare, accept what you are given: you have possibley saved £££s against the full fare and those given priority in the dining room.

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

I think your advice about changing dining by just taking your card to the restaurant when you board is a little optimistic. If you want to change from early to late sitting your chance is probably good. However the reverse can be very difficult. We prefer late, but book the Cunard fare anyway if in the MDR. On a very recent cruise we certainly came across people who wanted to change from late to early, and it had not been possible. 

It comes down to the fact that if you book a a Saver Fare, accept what you are given: you have possibley saved £££s against the full fare and those given priority in the dining room.

Sure. Understood. I wasn’t suggesting it was guaranteed and it is, of course, subject to availability. We can only both speak from our collective experiences. Just in my experience, the change has been straightforward and without issue. I’ve spoken with others onboard who have done the same. I agree there is a trade off between the risk of getting something you don’t like and paying more. 

Admittedly it has been a few years since I was in BC on QE but I was seated at a large table and could arrive any time while the dining room was open. About half of the table liked to eat when the dining room opened and the other half later (8:15-8:30).  There was no problem with this.

I agree with the OP that the stateroom is not an upgrade from Britannia.  Same size, same amenities, same balcony.  I was not offered a "pillow Menu".  I had a balcony on deck 7 the year before and liked it better because it was quieter.  The deck 8 BC stateroom was noisy because they moved the deck chairs at least every morning by the Pavilion Pool which wasn't even being used (it was a crossing in early January).  

I was given an upgrade to BC.  I would not pay the difference just for the dining room which was the only thing I found better.

We enjoyed our time in Britannia Club because of the anytime dining.  Otherwise we found little difference as compared to Britannia Class.  Not sure if I would do it again, unless the price was right.

By the way, our experience has been that the pillow menu does not exist and should be taken out of the Cunard promotional literature.  It's mentioned as a promotion in Grills Class as well, and every time we have asked for it from our butler or steward, we receive nothing more than a puzzled look.