Street with umbrellas-where is it?

indy71

It's a fairly easy walk, although it's a bit on an incline part of the way. The easiest way is to cross the street once at the pier to the source where CVS and Senor Frogs is located and walk left. Once you reach the corner at the Ochoa Building, turn right and walk three blocks north to Fortaleza street and turn left. In about 10 minutes you'll reach the area where the umbrellas are located. If I'm not mistaken, the right sidewalk is wider than the one on the left side so you'll bump into people less. For someone without mobility problems it should be a piece of cake.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, Stinger-pr said:

They have become so popular that I guess they will be there for some time. so, yes...

Hey friend! Is this something new or did I somehow miss this the times we have been to PR? I don't recall any umbrellas (other than places you eat at outside the restaurant). Any pictures of what they are talking about? 

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Hey friend! Is this something new or did I somehow miss this the times we have been to PR? I don't recall any umbrellas (other than places you eat at outside the restaurant). Any pictures of what they are talking about? 

This site has a good picture.  https://viajeraymochilero.com/en/the-colorful-umbrellas/

Also thanks so much for all your reviews.  I will be staying at Decanter next time I’m in San Juan because of your review.

Amanda

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Willwork4cruises said:

This site has a good picture.  https://viajeraymochilero.com/en/the-colorful-umbrellas/

Also thanks so much for all your reviews.  I will be staying at Decanter next time I’m in San Juan because of your review.

Amanda

Wow that looks amazing! So pretty. Thanks for the link. I'll have to go back to visit now. (Anything to have an excuse to go back to one of my favorite places). 

Thanks for the comments about my reviews. I really appreciate it. We loved Decanter. When we return, we will probably go back there to stay again. I liked its location too. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, mitsugirly said:

Hey Kim, sorry for being late to respond as I see you've already found your answer.

• 1 month later...
On December 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Stinger-pr said:

It's a fairly easy walk, although it's a bit on an incline part of the way. The easiest way is to cross the street once at the pier to the source where CVS and Senor Frogs is located and walk left. Once you reach the corner at the Ochoa Building, turn right and walk three blocks north to Fortaleza street and turn left. In about 10 minutes you'll reach the area where the umbrellas are located. If I'm not mistaken, the right sidewalk is wider than the one on the left side so you'll bump into people less. For someone without mobility problems it should be a piece of cake.

Thank you, all, for this great info. I just discovered this street today ( Thank you, Instagram),and I don't want to miss this gorgeous street when we are there next week. 

The map and detailed directions are great!

• 4 months later...

We are supposed to be in Old San Juan in two weeks with a Carnival cruise.  I have been reading about the political riots happening there this week.  I saw on social media (sometimes not a reliable news source...) that the umbrellas are being taken down due to the rioting.  Anyone have any reliable info?

Thank you for your response.  I thought the SOS ported at Pan American Pier and also wondered about the distance from the port to Fortaleza Street where the umbrellas are located) is more than a 10-15 minute walk.  Wouldn't you have to take a Uber or a taxi? If we decide on a Uber, what location near the pier can the Uber pick up their customers?

1 hour ago, starlady said:

What port/dock does the Symphony of the Seas dock at in San Juan, Puerto Rico?

You will dock on one of the Old San Juan piers.  

The Pan Am pier is just for starting and ending cruises.  Port stops are Old San Juan.  And it is about a 10 min walk from the piers in Old San Juan.  

While they are taking down the umbrellas, it sounds like they will be put back up when things calm back down.

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 2

Thank you Alfaeric, this helps a lot.  We will probably walk unless part of the way has a high incline and it is really hot. Going the end of August.  Hopefully, the turmoil with the Govenor quiets down before we get there. Sounds like they had more protests going on there today.  I did see the umbrella site was located near the Governors mansion.