Koningsdam or Eurodam for the disabled - which is more spacious w/less crowding?

dcsam

My husband doesn’t do well maneuvering amongst loads of people.  He can walk, but  he often uses a Travelscoot or I push him in a transfer chair. Which ship do you feel is better suited to less crowding and tight spaces?

Thank you

I was on the Koningsdam last spring on a transatlantic and Mediterranean cruise and had no problem whatsoever getting around  on my midsize scooter anywhere on the ship  - even in the main Dining room.  The staff is always extremely helpful as well.  I had an accessible inside cabin which was very large and allowed me to turn around easily, park in the room without being in the way.

I'm looking forward to cruising on the Eurodam in February and expect no problems on that ship as well especially after seeing the posting by Himself.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, dcsam said:

My husband doesn’t do well maneuvering amongst loads of people.  He can walk, but  he often uses a Travelscoot or I push him in a transfer chair. Which ship do you feel is better suited to less crowding and tight spaces?

Thank you

was on k-dam last nov.  one area definitely NOT suited to scooter movement is the deck above the pool, which has the new york pizza/deli.  the sofas are curved up and down the length of the deck overlooking the pool, it was actually cumbersome to walk.

Thank you for the information.  We booked with another cruiseline (Oceania) aboard the Riviera.  Seems less crowded, which will be more enjoyable for my husband.  We love Holland America, and will continue to cruise on their smaller ships.  Thanks again.  

On 1/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, dcsam said:

Thank you for the information.  We booked with another cruiseline (Oceania) aboard the Riviera.  Seems less crowded, which will be more enjoyable for my husband.  We love Holland America, and will continue to cruise on their smaller ships.  Thanks again.  

Your'e welcome.  we have sailed Oceania 3 times -- 2 times on R ships - once on Marina.  Riviera is a similar build of Marina.  Really loved O -- no nickel & diming.  You pay more -- but you get more.  I know you will like it.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, dcsam said:

We booked with another cruiseline (Oceania) aboard the Riviera. 

I found the Riviera was not very disabled friendly. The passageways were narrow, so using a walker or rollator didn't leave much room for others to pass. I never saw a scooter while I was on board.
Many nights in the dining room they tried to seat us in an area that was 2-3 steps up from the entrance level, even though I have a terrible time with stairs.
There was a ramp going down to the dining area, which would be difficult to push someone in a wheelchair back up. The ramp up to the show lounge was even steeper, then a slope downhill to get to the seating.
Tables in the equivalent of the Lido were quite close together, so getting around them with a scooter will be difficult at best.
What really bothered me, though, was that never once did anyone offer to carry my food for me in the 'Lido'.

I wish you a better experience.

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Tables in the equivalent of the Lido were quite close together, so getting around them with a scooter will be difficult at best.
What really bothered me, though, was that never once did anyone offer to carry my food for me in the 'Lido'.

I wish you a better experience.

That was our experience on the Riviera as well.  

Thank you.  He can walk a little.  Not sure if he’ll use the Travelscoot or transfer chair while onboard.  Really... I think he prefers me pushing him in the transfer chair as it’s easier to navigate and much quicker and less stress... for him;-)

On our most recent cruise with Viking Oceans, we also found the hallways quite narrow.  But people were always gracious and stepped aside at the nearest area.  It wasn’t really a problem.

Edited by dcsam