Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

I think this was discussed somewhere but can't find it.  

Are the full WC'ers treated differently on the ship than people just doing segments?  Heard somewhere that they have their own CD, and onboard special events?  And name tags?  

Just wondering in what ways the full cruisers are differentiated from the segmenters.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and experiences on your WC! It all sounds so wonderful! The DH and I are toying with the idea of the 20201 VO world trip. One thing I haven't heard is if there's a passenger choir on board or any sing-a-longs or not. We really  enjoyed singing in the choir on our 2018 Princess WC and joining in the occasional Broadway tune sing-a-longs. I hope this is something other lines offer.  

Any other singers out there?

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think this was discussed somewhere but can't find it.  

Are the full WC'ers treated differently on the ship than people just doing segments?  Heard somewhere that they have their own CD, and onboard special events?  And name tags?  

Just wondering in what ways the full cruisers are differentiated from the segmenters.

We were given WC jackets and ball caps and there was a small  separate reception for the 71 folks repeating from last year's cruise.  No special nametags. We get the Silver Spirits drinks package included but beyond that generally one can not tell the difference.  The crew and senior management treats everyone equally in my estimation.

3 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and experiences on your WC! It all sounds so wonderful! The DH and I are toying with the idea of the 20201 VO world trip. One thing I haven't heard is if there's a passenger choir on board or any sing-a-longs or not. We really  enjoyed singing in the choir on our 2018 Princess WC and joining in the occasional Broadway tune sing-a-longs. I hope this is something other lines offer.  

Any other singers out there?

There is a choir that has really just started.  Last year we had a choir/chorus and a dancing group.  Our Cruise Director is Heather Clancy, a professional mezzo soprano.  Exceptional.

1 hour ago, Aquadesiac said:

Wonderful news! Now I can start my not-so-stealthy campaign to convince the DH we need to pull the trigger for 2021 on Viking! 

The mantra is:  you’re not going to get any younger and it’s not going to get any cheaper.  Go for it!  

On 1/18/2019 at 8:01 PM, Redwarrior68 said:

Hi.

I'll be happy to pass on your greetings.  Met a lot of people from New England on this trip as well as folks from last year's WC.  We are from Concord, NH.  Happy to miss the big snow storm coming this weekend.

Hello,

We are enduring this snow/sleet storm here in Marlow NH as we don't join you until Durban. Looking forward to meeting fellow New Hampshirites. 

My impression of Rio, based on our admittedly cursory experience, is that either the city gets a bad rap or they have made substantial progress since hosting the Olympics.

The city still shows considerable contrast of wealth, but the people appear to be busy, relatively happy, and proud of their town and country. 

Throngs of Brazilians crowd the famed Copacabana and Ipenema beaches and tourist-friendly Corcovada and Sugarloaf peaks. As crowded as they were, I observed no rudeness or anger - everyone was happy, hot, and enjoying the Brazilian summer.

The ship hosted a wonderful local Samba school performance onboard on the overnight evening, followed by a festive sailaway party midday on Day 2.

Last night night the party continued with a Brazilian-themed feast at the World Cafe and a deck party on the mercifully cooler open deck under a glorious full moon. Yes, the NFL games were also available.

After a dodgy Salvador de Bahia experience, the port calls to beautiful Buzios and exciting, vibrant Rio left this traveler thoroughly appreciative and fortunate to experience a little bit of Brazil.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Just been watching the Panomax camera as the ship leaves Rio.  So envious! 

Agreed, the sail in was good to! The Map is now working properly again, so anyone who wants can review the images at any time by clicking on green line on the map which shows that part of the route.

Hello World Cruisers.  I am curious about the procedure on Viking for clearing into a new country especially for the next week or so.  Jan 23 Uruguay, Jan 24 Argentina, Jan 26 Uruguay again, Jan 29 Falkland, Feb 1 Argentina again and Feb 4 Chile.  Does Viking collect the passports to clear you in?  Do you have to stand in a long line that snakes around the atrium levels and have a face-to-face with customs?  Do you present passport to Customs when you disembark for excursion?  Are excursion times late/on time due to clearance?  Thanks in advance for info.

Viking collected our passports (and Brazilian visa) in Miami and still has them. I just overheard a man asking for his passport back, and they said they needed to keep it to check us in tomorrow in Uraguay. So far no lines, nothing but walk off the ship with our stateroom card. Very easy!

My impression of Rio, based on our admittedly cursory experience, is that either the city gets a bad rap or they have made substantial progress since hosting the Olympics.

The city still shows considerable contrast of wealth, but the people appear to be busy, relatively happy, and proud of their town and country. 

Throngs of Brazilians crowd the famed Copacabana and Ipenema beaches and tourist-friendly Corcovada and Sugarloaf peaks. As crowded as they were, I observed no rudeness or anger - everyone was happy, hot, and enjoying the Brazilian summer.

The ship hosted a wonderful local Samba school performance onboard on the overnight evening, followed by a festive sailaway party midday on Day 2.

Last night night the party continued with a Brazilian-themed feast at the World Cafe and a deck party on the mercifully cooler open deck under a glorious full moon. Yes, the NFL games were also available.

After a dodgy Salvador de Bahia experience, the port calls to beautiful Buzios and exciting, vibrant Rio left this traveler thoroughly appreciative and fortunate to experience a little bit of Brazil.

We shared a lunch table with this couple from Sao Paulo blocks from Copacabana Beach.  She learned English serving on a cargo ship.  Bill for all our meals, and drinks--$17.  Note the portions of wonderful food.  What fun!  Viking provided free bus service between the ship's pier and the beach. 

DSCN2404.JPG

• Like 1

And, btw, Brazil is apparently a bear, but Viking met in the dining room with their people as soon as we docked and took care of everything, so we just walked off for our 9 am tour. 

Thank you.  Curious if same procedure continues for the BA to Santiago segment.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:40 AM, 2rinnh said:

I was so hoping you were correct! We will be boarding in Durban as well and I would love not to have to wait so long.

I’ve just paid the final invoice and it suddenly feels a lot closer 🙂 

Edited by Thatname
Reply to the right post!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, Thatname said:

I’ve just paid the final invoice and it suddenly feels a lot closer 🙂 

Yes, ours has arrived too... I'll pay it this week!  The days are whizzing by, and I'm even looking forward to that dreadfully long flight. :classic_ohmy:  Happy that we finish in Greenwich and can take the train home!

Incredible that so many single segment passengers have no idea they are joining a WC or that other segments are available. Were any segment 1 guests invited to extend?

After the way Viking treated us and our travel agent, I suggest Viking needs travel agents more than they know. Agents are selling single segments without knowledge or effort to add on.

2018 WC was sold out without a need to sell segments. This season less than 1/2 passengers are on for the full cruise. It already appears Viking is challenged to provide for the different populations (WC vice segmenters)

We've seen this as a one time experience and it's a bit deflating that Viking's focus is blurred and will be 3 more times from here to London.

It's humorous that late arrivals complain of lack of access to excursions, dining, etc. yet they have no idea they're arriving late to the party. Again, I wonder why they don't have the info, or perhaps, don't remember. 

Viking has work to do. 2018 WC, sold out. 2019 ~ 50%. Not a good trend and the 2020 is even more unclear.