Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

I hope Heather does not get thrown in the pool again!!!  Perhaps she will be more prepared and not have on her signature high heels and a great dress! (dry clean only!)!!  What a fun ceremony that was last year!!!!

Conni Gi said:

"We are SAILING! I thought it would never get here! Just reading the Viking Daily and soooo happy to see that the legendary  BYRDS’ lead singer and guitarist (Jim) Roger McGuinn will be onboard at least part of the cruise as a guest /enrichment lecturer!! Love all their songs, and I used to teach their “Turn” as poetry in my English classes!"

Ah, my husband is so envious, and I too would enjoy Roger McGuinn's addition as a guest lecturer on one of our Viking cruises! 

Mr. McGuinn, and his lovely wife Camilla, are all about the ship and are both warm and friendly. Roger even participates in a trivia team. 

Roger's first (of three) presentations was brilliant - a multi-media show that chronicled his amazing career.

Later today, #2 will be about the history of the seminal folk/rock/country group, The Byrds.

Roger signed CDs for all those lucky enough to snag one before they sold out.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, Aviator of the Seas said:

Your assigned Pier in Old San Juan is 3-West.  Just a few more steps from Viking's usual home port pier right at the south entrance to the old city.  Enjoy!

Aviator - where did you find this info?  Trying to confirm our pier for our cruise in March and can't seem to find it.  Thanks and sorry to the rest for being off topic

34 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Aviator - where did you find this info?  Trying to confirm our pier for our cruise in March and can't seem to find it.  Thanks and sorry to the rest for being off topic

What's your cruise ship?  if you direct me to your roll call, I can place the info there.  If it's a Viking turn around, most likely Pier 1 right in Old San Juan.  If its a port call, any cruise line, I get the info from the PR Ports Authority the week before. Disclaimer: I am NOT a Viking employee, but I have stayed at HI Express before - UPDATE: Just saw on your signature that you're on the 3/39 SJU to BCN.  As I said, most likely Pier 1 in Old San Juan, unless PR Ports or the US CBP change their minds.  Pier 1 is Viking's preferred berth, but the authorities have changed that on us twice this year already, sending the operation to the Pan Am pier across the channel from Old San Juan.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas
Realized new info.

56 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

As I said, most likely Pier 1 in Old San Juan, unless PR Ports or the US CBP change their minds.  Pier 1 is Viking's preferred berth, but the authorities have changed that on us twice this year already, sending the operation to the Pan Am pier across the channel from Old San Juan.

yes, thats my fear....if we are not gonna board the ship in old town would prefer to not pay the higher downtown prices.  Glad to know that you can only find the information out the week before.  Most places we have cruised, one can find the port calendar with pier assignments (subject to change of course) months in advance....but doesn't seem to be the case in San Juan.

Thanks!  

Edited by Clay Clayton

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Most places we have cruised, one can find the port calendar with pier assignments (subject to change of course) months in advance....but doesn't seem to be the case in San Juan.

Thanks!  

All of the San Juan harbor piers are at some stage of reconstruction after the hurricanes so that's one of the reasons for the constant changes.  Viking is the only one who does turnarounds from Pier 1, and the only one with a schedule of 10+ days.  Depending on when their turnaround falls in relation to other disembark/embark operations by other lines, the US CBP has to parse out their personnel and that's why the risk for changes, as the US CBP has the last word.  

March 29 is a Friday so I'll bet you a bottle of Don Q Rum that you will sail out of Pier 1 (the higher risk for changes occur on Saturday or Sunday).

• Like 1

We were in Salvador da Bahia the day before yesterday. Salvador da Bahia is an old city, a UNESCO Heritage site and was the capital of Brazil for 200 years. Today it is the capital of Brazilian state of Bahia and is situated on the beautiful Bay of All Saints (Bahia de Todos os Santos), the 2nd largest in the world after Hudson Bay according to our local guide (Viking included tour).  It is fun, colorful, laid-back, musical and happy! Musicians are everywhere in the center of town, and the colonial buildings are still resplendent with colonial architectural styles, most notably the opulent and ornate baroque style of the Sao Francisco da Assisi church. Beautiful carvings adorn the outside and the ticket-hall is lined with paintings and large blue-and-white tiles (azuelos) imported from Lisbon .  A beautiful painting adorns the ceiling. We didn't go inside but the intricate carvings inside are covered in goldleaf! We'd visited a similar church in Porto, Portugal a year or so ago, so skipped this one. 

The city itself is a lot like Lisbon with its upper city (you ride up a large elevator to get up there) hilly cobblestoned streets and pastel-colored buildings. It is the only region in Brazil with an Afro-Brazilian culture.

It was hot and humid the day we were there, and the 2-3 hour walk was exhausting! But quite enjoyable. Here are some scenes from the tour. 

20190118_110114-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 1

Bridgett Bardot's arrival to the small fishing and whaling village of Armaco dos Buzios in 1964 changed it forever. It is now a coveted holiday destination for the well-heeled of Rio. It is pretty and idyllic. The lush vegetation is both tropical and desert like with cacti coexisting with hibusicus and bougenvillea. We tried to beay the heat and humidity with cooling and yummy caipirhinias! Some photos below. all from the included walking tour. Bridgette has left her mark here! 

MVIMG_20190118_171009.jpg

MVIMG_20190118_153209.jpg

MVIMG_20190118_143525.jpg

MVIMG_20190118_141332.jpg

• Like 1

Jim:

Had small group dinner with Sujith last night.  He said the problem was with a turbocharger.  He says engineering fixed it while still at sea but a representative of the marine engine builder flew in and checked over the entire propulsion system.  Sujith says they are keeping the engine expert aboard for a while.

We arrived in Dos Buzios slightly ahead of schedule.  Weather perfect.

3 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Jim:

Had small group dinner with Sujith last night.  He said the problem was with a turbocharger.  He says engineering fixed it while still at sea but a representative of the marine engine builder flew in and checked over the entire propulsion system.  Sujith says they are keeping the engine expert aboard for a while.

We arrived in Dos Buzios slightly ahead of schedule.  Weather perfect.

Hi, I am following you along with this informative thread and it’s fun! My friends are on this cruise as well and if you happen to run in to “John and Helga from Cspe Cod”, could you pass on a hello to them! 😎 (Cheryl) 

Spoke to the Shore Excursion reps today about our guide in Armacao Dos Buzios.  She was not familiar with the the capabilities of the Quietvox systems.  Long periods with no narration and few details when she did speak.  Have had this happen on previous Viking tours.  I expect part of this is English as a second language, but tour guides hired by Viking need to learn that they can talk and walk, even if all they are commenting on is the weather, where they are from, how they learned English, whatever.  It was a great day we really enjoyed the town.   

DSCN2378.JPG