MITSUGIRLY sails off into the HORIZON-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

8 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

If it sails from San Juan, I just may be interested again. That would be awesome! When does it start sailing from there?

I can tell you that my family, friends and I will be sailing on the Epic out of San Juan over New Years. this year.  So toward the end of this year it will be leaving from San Juan.

20 minutes ago, Debala715 said:

I can tell you that my family, friends and I will be sailing on the Epic out of San Juan over New Years. this year.  So toward the end of this year it will be leaving from San Juan.

I would LOVE to do a New Years cruise. That would be so cool. But, I bet very expensive. I'll have to check this out!

5 minutes ago, my_crib_too said:

Kim,

Great review as always.  I enjoy each of your cruises as you review them.  Thank you for taking the time.

Bruce...

Thanks Bruce! I really appreciate it and glad you enjoyed it. 

Great review!! We will be cruising on the Horizon in June. This cruise is to celebrate my grandsons graduation. 

He has been on 2 cruises and has loved them, he has always made friends and had a lot to do. Now that he is 18, he is worried that there will be nothing for him to do. Do you know if there are special things for that age group?

Thank you

Love your fun approach to the review and the cruise. I’ve jokingly wondered how long the thread would be if you and St. Greg ever took the same cruise.

It may be buried in there somewhere I’ve missed, but what type of camera are you using for your underwater shots? They are amazing! The one I’m using now only seems to be able to get to the quality of your “wrong setting” shots.

Again, thanks for all of the details!

2 hours ago, DownToTheSea said:

Love your fun approach to the review and the cruise. I’ve jokingly wondered how long the thread would be if you and St. Greg ever took the same cruise.

It may be buried in there somewhere I’ve missed, but what type of camera are you using for your underwater shots? They are amazing! The one I’m using now only seems to be able to get to the quality of your “wrong setting” shots.

Again, thanks for all of the details!

Thanks so much. I'm not sure who St Greg is. I'll have to check it out. 

I always post the camera info on the first page with details. I actually have 3 of them (all Olympus Tough). 

18 hours ago, Canadian Tyler said:

Great review - thanks for taking the time to share it!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, CoasterGuy said:

Kim,

What did you think of the Horizon overall? Particularly the decor, food, entertainment, and anything else relevant you can think of lol?

I absolutely LOVED it! It was a beautiful ship. I never really care for the entertainment. We aren't really into the "song and dance" Broadway type shows. We always like it when they have a variety of different types of shows like a magician, ventriloquist and so on. Carnival never seems to have much of a variety to us. Food was pretty good. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:18 PM, kdunn6 said:

Great review!! We will be cruising on the Horizon in June. This cruise is to celebrate my grandsons graduation. 

He has been on 2 cruises and has loved them, he has always made friends and had a lot to do. Now that he is 18, he is worried that there will be nothing for him to do. Do you know if there are special things for that age group?

Thank you

I believe the "kids club" stops at age 17, but I'm not completely sure. He's considered an adult, so he would pretty much be able to do the things any adult on the ship would do...go to the adult comedy clubs, dancing, night-life, various things they have on the ship (like the arts & crafts, which I know most 18 year old guys probably wouldn't be interested in, but it's just an example). They have plenty of different things that's going on during the day and will be in the daily Fun Times they give you each day. But as far as special things for that age group, I'm unaware of anything. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:23 PM, cocomango said:

Subscribing... What great timing!! 

Just made our final payment for Horizon yesterday .

Will have to come back here when I can fully focus! 

Well congrats and I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Horizon. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:35 PM, retiring soon said:

Thanks for the link. I like that itinerary and it includes bonnaire! I will have to look it up on the US site and see what I come up with. 

Edited by mitsugirly

Kim! You're back! I'm glad I found you! Actually, I was looking at someone else's video on YouTube, and several of yours from this cruise popped up on my recommended list popped up - so here I am! Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do and it's late for me to start doing that now, but I will most definitely be back soon! 

It's taken me a couple of days to read this entire review, it was definitely time well spent! I always love following along with you and your family on cruises! Right now we are in our pre cruise excitement mode, approaching the 90 day mark. We will be on the shiny new Symphony Of The Seas our first time cruising out of Miami.

I thought the Horizon was beautiful, and I may just consider booking a cruise on her at some point. I love the itinerary you sailed. It would work perfectly for us! Well, except for the drive to Miami. Port Canaveral is an easy 90 minute drive from our house, so I guess you could say that we are pretty spoiled in that regard. It is also why most of our cruises have departed from Canaveral.

Thanks for taking the time for sharing another great review with us! 

Edited by perfect match
Fixed typos.

I was finally able to finish your review, lots has happened since you started.  We welcomed a new grandson and have been busy traveling to help out.  Your review was awesome as always and I can't wait to board the ship in May.  Hope Kendra got some rest when she got home.  Have fun planning your next cruise and I can't wait to read about it.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:56 AM, perfect match said:

Kim! You're back! I'm glad I found you! Actually, I was looking at someone else's video on YouTube, and several of yours from this cruise popped up on my recommended list popped up - so here I am! Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do and it's late for me to start doing that now, but I will most definitely be back soon! 

Hiya! Haha, that's funny that you found me on youtube and discovered this review.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:40 PM, jenseib said:

Another great cruise!  Thanks for writing once again.

I am flying to San Juan to cruise this weekend and most of my info has come from rereading your stuff.

You are always so helpful!

You're welcome and thanks for commenting. Glad I can be of some help at times. That's the reason I do them. I absolutely love San Juan and hope you have an amazing cruise!

On 1/23/2019 at 3:14 AM, perfect match said:

It's taken me a couple of days to read this entire review, it was definitely time well spent! I always love following along with you and your family on cruises! Right now we are in our pre cruise excitement mode, approaching the 90 day mark. We will be on the shiny new Symphony Of The Seas our first time cruising out of Miami.

I thought the Horizon was beautiful, and I may just consider booking a cruise on her at some point. I love the itinerary you sailed. It would work perfectly for us! Well, except for the drive to Miami. Port Canaveral is an easy 90 minute drive from our house, so I guess you could say that we are pretty spoiled in that regard. It is also why most of our cruises have departed from Canaveral.

Thanks for taking the time for sharing another great review with us! 

Aww thanks! 90 day mark! Woo Hoo! I would love to go on the Symphony! I'm looking for something for Spring Break. Kendra texted my last night wanting to book that ship for 2020 and was telling me all about it.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, JaniceB said:

I was finally able to finish your review, lots has happened since you started.  We welcomed a new grandson and have been busy traveling to help out.  Your review was awesome as always and I can't wait to board the ship in May.  Hope Kendra got some rest when she got home.  Have fun planning your next cruise and I can't wait to read about it.

Congrats on the new grandson! Glad you enjoyed the review and I hope you have fun in May on your cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, mitsugirly said:

I was aware of the Weeki Wachee (I went there as a kid myself) and told her about it a year or so ago. I wasn't aware there was a camp though. That would be so cool. I'll have to check into that.  She would LOVE IT!

Hey if you ever get to do Weeki Wachee you might want to plan a little time to drive about an hour and do the "Snorkel with the Manatees" tour at the Plantation on Crystal River too.

"This bay in Crystal River is one of the largest aquifers in the state and home to more than 400 West Indian manatees that migrate each year to the warmth of the springs".

"Unlike other areas of Florida, the Federal Government allows for "passive observation" in the water between manatees and people in Kings Bay. This allows face-to-face interaction with manatees.

https://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm

Bet you'd get some fantastic pictures there!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Hey if you ever get to do Weeki Wachee you might want to plan a little time to drive about an hour and do the "Snorkel with the Manatees" tour at the Plantation on Crystal River too.

"This bay in Crystal River is one of the largest aquifers in the state and home to more than 400 West Indian manatees that migrate each year to the warmth of the springs".

"Unlike other areas of Florida, the Federal Government allows for "passive observation" in the water between manatees and people in Kings Bay. This allows face-to-face interaction with manatees.

https://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm

Bet you'd get some fantastic pictures there!

:classic_ohmy:

I'm definitely wanting to do this!!!

Wow what a cruise and what a great review (as always!)

Kim, it is good to see you back on CC. I just came back from the NCL Escape cruise. I have been wondering where you were all this time. So good to have you back again!

I would never have known about this Christmas cruise review had I not searched for your Jewel of the Seas review again. We are going on the Jewel on Feb 15 and I wanted to go over it one more time. I went through it in two sessions....it is hard to get off the computer when reading a Mitsugirly review.:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: honestly and I believe many other readers feel the same way.

Sakari is growing up so fast. She is beautiful! Kam is a cutie! Adorable! And B is so grown up too. Isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up! You have a very sweet family. Congratulations on your completion of school....you are a free woman !!!:classic_biggrin:

Where is your next cruise? Am I ever going to meet you on one or in some port??!!!!

On 1/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, mitsugirly said:

I wonder if the people in the donkey outfits at the Christmas party were dressed up like Dominick the Donkey. It's a silly song about a Christmas donkey that my 2 year old nephew is obsessed with.  

On 1/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, Arzeena said:

Wow what a cruise and what a great review (as always!)

Kim, it is good to see you back on CC. I just came back from the NCL Escape cruise. I have been wondering where you were all this time. So good to have you back again!

I would never have known about this Christmas cruise review had I not searched for your Jewel of the Seas review again. We are going on the Jewel on Feb 15 and I wanted to go over it one more time. I went through it in two sessions....it is hard to get off the computer when reading a Mitsugirly review.:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: honestly and I believe many other readers feel the same way.

Sakari is growing up so fast. She is beautiful! Kam is a cutie! Adorable! And B is so grown up too. Isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up! You have a very sweet family. Congratulations on your completion of school....you are a free woman !!!:classic_biggrin:

Where is your next cruise? Am I ever going to meet you on one or in some port??!!!!

Aww, thanks so much! I'm hoping to get on the Escape sooner or later. Sakari keeps begging to go on it but I can't seem to make it line up with our schedule and where we want to go. 

I hope you have an amazing time on the Jewel. We LOVED her!

Yes, these kids....ugh, they are getting so big and growing up so quickly. Where does the time go???

Not completed on school quite yet....1 more class to go that starts in February and then I'll be free! I can't wait!

We are not are yet on the next cruise. We always do something for Spring Break, which is in April this year so I'm going to have to get on the ball and find something to book soon. I know it will probably just be us this time around. Kendra is talking about going to Vegas during Spring Break but who knows at this point...Billy (her fiance) just fell and broke his ankle and had surgery with a plate and pins put in so he's down for the count for a while. 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, EmilyAnn86 said:

I wonder if the people in the donkey outfits at the Christmas party were dressed up like Dominick the Donkey. It's a silly song about a Christmas donkey that my 2 year old nephew is obsessed with.  

I've never heard of Dominick the Donkey. Maybe that's what it was. 🙂

another awesome review! Thanks so much. Seeking your expert opinion:) We are planning a family cruise first week of January 2020 and seem to have similar dynamics as your family as far as our cruise goals, needs,etc. I think we are narrowing it down to Carnival Breeze, NCL Encore (new ship) or Carnival Glory. We are family of 4 and at that time will be cruising with our 19 year old son and 10 year old daughter, who is also a big time lover of water. We have never cruised either line, we have done Disney, RCCL and HAL. My mother in law and sis in law will be traveling with us and have their own room. The Breeze itinerary includes San Juan, which we love so am leaning a little that way but would love to hear your thoughts if you have time. Thanks!

On 1/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, SailingRNC said:

I always love reading your reviews.  Congrats on finishing school !!

Glad you enjoyed it...and I still have 1 class to go. So close!

On 2/3/2019 at 8:53 AM, becky11111 said:

Another great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it! I am sailing on the Horizon in a few weeks on the same itinerary and your review has me even more excited !!!!

You are welcome and thank you. I hope you have a great time on the Horizon! She's a beauty and the ports are awesome. 

9 minutes ago, beccawes7471 said:

another awesome review! Thanks so much. Seeking your expert opinion:) We are planning a family cruise first week of January 2020 and seem to have similar dynamics as your family as far as our cruise goals, needs,etc. I think we are narrowing it down to Carnival Breeze, NCL Encore (new ship) or Carnival Glory. We are family of 4 and at that time will be cruising with our 19 year old son and 10 year old daughter, who is also a big time lover of water. We have never cruised either line, we have done Disney, RCCL and HAL. My mother in law and sis in law will be traveling with us and have their own room. The Breeze itinerary includes San Juan, which we love so am leaning a little that way but would love to hear your thoughts if you have time. Thanks!

I absolutely love NLC and Carnival so hard decision. I haven't checked out the Encore yet and what it has to offer but I'm sure it's going to be amazing! The Breeze is an absolute favorite of mine so you can't go wrong with that either. I think you'll be happy with either. So, I guess for me to pick one (for myself) I'd have to know the ports. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, mitsugirly said:

Doubletree by Hilton in Hollywood Florida

Curious to know how long it took you guys to get from this hotel to the port..I googled it and it says 49 minutes. Does that sound about right?