Cruise Critic Community
mitsugirly

MITSUGIRLY sails off into the HORIZON-review & pictorial

Thanks so much for putting all the time and effort into another fantastic review! Love it! 

Tell Sakari there's an actual Mermaid camp at Weeki Wachee Springs down here in Florida - I know she would ace it! And there's one for Mom too (if you're over 30!) :classic_biggrin:.

I read an article today about a Mom who took it to do something special just for herself after finishing treatment for breast cancer and she LOVED it:

https://weekiwachee.com/camps/junior-mermaid-camp/

https://weekiwachee.com/camps/sirens-of-the-deep-mermaid-camp/

Mermaid power!

Edited by SeaHunt

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ thanks for another amazing review. Learned a couple of things from you & enjoyed all the pictures.

I can't believe it's over, & keep coming back looking for more!

Looking forward to your next cruise, how about on Bliss? I was on it for 14 days in Nov. & it's a great ship.

BTW Epic is doing a cruise next year that goes to all 3 of the ABC Islands. I've booked for Feb 6 as I've never been to Bonaire yet. Have you been to HMC?

~ Jo ~ 😊

On 1/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, smurfm69 said:

The end of your review is almost as sad as the end of a cruise. Lol  Great job as always and thanks for taking the time to share your pics and family vacation with al the Cruise Critic peeps.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it and glad you enjoyed it. 

On 1/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, KroozFoolz said:

Thanks for the great review, as always, and the wonderful pictures!

You really need to find an itinerary that goes to Bonaire!

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I agree...I definitely want to find a cruise that goes to bonaire. Of course when you ask someone from Curacao (as I did) about "the best scuba/snorkeling being in Bonaire and what's the difference" they'll tell you it's all the same area and same reef and you'll see the same things and one is no better than the other. I guess I'll have to see for myself. ;) hehe

On 1/12/2019 at 4:38 PM, scsagh said:

Thanks for the great review, Kim! I always enjoy reading your reviews, even though I know we're not going on the Horizon, or any of those ports in the near future. You do such a great job putting your review and pictures together. I know some day I'll be going back to look things up, as I love to snorkel when we cruise too. I think a boat snorkel to the Blue Channel in Roatan is still one of my favorites. We'll be there next month!  Thanks again Mitsugirly!!

Thanks for reading and enjoying the review. I really appreciate the comments! 

I have heard about the Blue Channel in Roatan before but thought I read somewhere that it's too far to travel to get there when you are cruising? I'll have to check this out since it sounds like maybe it's not. 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, pbxtech said:

Thanks for doing another fantastic Review.

Thanks so much!

On 1/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

I just finished and really enjoyed this!  But I have enjoyed all all of your reviews.  I can't believe how grown up Sakari and B are now...they were just little kids!!!  Thanks for the information on the ship and so glad to know it didn't feel crowded and it look really beautiful on the inside.  That has been my biggest hesitation with even considering a larger ship.  Loved all of the pictures of Curacao & Aruba too, those are two we haven't been to yet.  Your snorkeling pics in Aruba, even with the wrong setting, actually look really cool!  I'm like you, the more ports the better, so that is one of the reasons why I hesitate on that itinerary (hubby wants to do it), but the more I see of it, the more I'm leaning toward it.  Glad to know the water wasn't too rocky.  I had seen other reviews on the same itinerary that mention very rough water (and barf bags being set out) between the DR and Aruba/Curacao and I was beginning to think that maybe the water in that area was always rough, which would definitely be a turnoff for me since I do get seasick.  Dramamine is my friend when it comes to cruising, but if the seas were really rocky, I don't think it would help.  I'm so glad you saw Jason Blanchard, he's my favorite!   We saw him on our first Liberty cruise (western Caribbean, Arp. 2014) and I laughed the entire time and that has not happened before or since.  The funniest was when he closed out his show, he did it with a "towel animal", one of the naughty ones, in relation to a subject he hit on during his show.  I thought it was hilarious and very clever.  So glad to see you back with another review and I always appreciate the time you put into them and love your pictures.  I don't know if I told you, I did get the Olympus TG5 last year before our trip to New Orleans.  I just love it and can't wait till we get an opportunity to snorkel so I can use it underwater.  That won't be this year...we need to replace our windows, so vacation this year is out.  But thank you again for taking the time share this.

I just ran across one of my old reviews when answering a questions to someone and seen Sakari at 3 years old and thought "wow! she was so little when this all started". They have grown so much. 

The ship was awesome! Definitely a favorite of mine (along with the Breeze) for Carnival. I just couldn't believe it just didn't feel too crowded at all and the no lines is what really got me! Like where was everyone??? lol  Even check in and getting off the ship was amazing!

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about the rough water between DR and Aruba/Curacao before. We did this itinerary before and never had issues either. 

Haha about Jason Blanchard. He didn't do anything with a towel animal this time darn it. lol  

I'm thinking you did mention getting the TG5 last year. I hope you end up with some great snorkeling pictures when you get to use it. I just love mine. I hope the issues I'm having is with the SD card and not the camera itself. 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, AKR2011 said:

Thanks for another awesome review! I look forward to your next one.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, tlw440 said:

Thanks for another great review. Great pics. Carnival needs to hire you full time to do reviews.

Thanks and I agree...I would love to be hired for the reviews! It really is a passion of mine and I really enjoy doing them. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, splash_in_the_water said:

and so ends another great cruise review. Thanks , it was a fun ride. you really made me fee like i was there with you all! Til next time *cheers*

Why thank you and glad you enjoyed it. 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, bettyboop16 said:

Hi, always enjoy reading your reviews. All the kids are really growing up!

When you rent a place in Aruba, do you rent from VRBO, Flip Key or something else?

Thanks,

Thanks and yes they are getting so big. 

When we rented this last time we did Airbnb for the house and VRBO for the condo. I search them all to find the perfect place and price. 

On 1/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, Cruise Envy said:

Kim thanks for a great review!

Thanks so much. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:15 AM, CoasterGuy said:

Awesome review. Enjoyed it. Thanks again.

You are welcome and thanks for reading. I appreciate it. 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, pooksma said:

Great read!  Thanks for sharing 🙂

Thanks and glad you liked it. 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, Ziggy7 said:

Great review as always! Thanks for sharing!!! <3

You're welcome and thanks!

On 1/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, Hooked! said:

Kim, thank you for another awesome trip report. Finding this was super helpful, as I just got off a New Year’s cruise last Sunday, went straight back to work on Monday, and have been suffering from a pretty bad case of Post-Cruise Depression ever since. Your humor and great pictures made me feel like I was back in the Caribbean. Good luck in finishing that degree and thank you again! 

Aww, thanks so much for all the comments. I really appreciate it. I'm having that same after cruise suffering right now myself. I can't wait to go back. 

23 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Thanks so much for putting all the time and effort into another fantastic review! Love it! 

Tell Sakari there's an actual Mermaid camp at Weeki Wachee Springs down here in Florida - I know she would ace it! And there's one for Mom too (if you're over 30!) :classic_biggrin:.

I read an article today about a Mom who took it to do something special just for herself after finishing treatment for breast cancer and she LOVED it:

https://weekiwachee.com/camps/junior-mermaid-camp/

https://weekiwachee.com/camps/sirens-of-the-deep-mermaid-camp/

Mermaid power!

You are very welcome and glad you enjoyed the review. 

I was aware of the Weeki Wachee (I went there as a kid myself) and told her about it a year or so ago. I wasn't aware there was a camp though. That would be so cool. I'll have to check into that.  She would LOVE IT!

4 hours ago, retiring soon said:

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ thanks for another amazing review. Learned a couple of things from you & enjoyed all the pictures.

I can't believe it's over, & keep coming back looking for more!

Looking forward to your next cruise, how about on Bliss? I was on it for 14 days in Nov. & it's a great ship.

BTW Epic is doing a cruise next year that goes to all 3 of the ABC Islands. I've booked for Feb 6 as I've never been to Bonaire yet. Have you been to HMC?

~ Jo ~ 😊

Hi and glad you were able to learn a few things and enjoyed the review and pictures. 

I would LOVE to do the Bliss! We actually did look into it for this cruise but I really wanted the itinerary we were on. But it's definitely on my "to-do" list.

We have done the Epic twice now (and I normally don't repeat ships if I don't have to and the only reason we did it again was that was the only ship we had been on that Sakari didn't go with us...her "pre-cruising days". But it sounds wonderful!

Yes, I have been to HMC and it is absolutely beautiful there. I should have a review of it in my signature line but I know my signature line is at it's limit and I can't add more (haven't been able to add any more for the last 2 cruises). Blah!

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ this will be my 5th time on Epic! It's had different itineraries the Med,, Morocco & the Canary Islands & the Caribbean. This one in Feb., & probably other months maybe more suitable for you, sails from San Juan.

I took a look at your HMC link & it's beautiful. I love that place & was wondering what you thought of it. Not your fav but close to it it sounds like. My Sky cruise missed GSC & the Disney one couldn't get into their island.:classic_sad:

20 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ this will be my 5th time on Epic! It's had different itineraries the Med,, Morocco & the Canary Islands & the Caribbean. This one in Feb., & probably other months maybe more suitable for you, sails from San Juan.

I took a look at your HMC link & it's beautiful. I love that place & was wondering what you thought of it. Not your fav but close to it it sounds like. My Sky cruise missed GSC & the Disney one couldn't get into their island.:classic_sad:

It sounds like you really love the Epic. It was my very first ship we went on when we started cruising again back in 2010 and it has remained one of my favorites in the NCL fleet. If it sails from San Juan, I just may be interested again. That would be awesome! When does it start sailing from there?

Yes, we loved HMC. It's so beautiful there and makes for a great "free" day on the island. GSC is great too. I love the private islands that the ships go to. It's been a while since we went to GSC and would love to go back again. I can only imagine the improvements it has now. The last time we were supposed to go there, we missed it due to high waves and I haven't been on an itinerary that goes there since. :(  Maybe one day again. 

8 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

If it sails from San Juan, I just may be interested again. That would be awesome! When does it start sailing from there?

I can tell you that my family, friends and I will be sailing on the Epic out of San Juan over New Years. this year.  So toward the end of this year it will be leaving from San Juan.

Kim,

Great review as always.  I enjoy each of your cruises as you review them.  Thank you for taking the time.

Bruce...

20 minutes ago, Debala715 said:

I can tell you that my family, friends and I will be sailing on the Epic out of San Juan over New Years. this year.  So toward the end of this year it will be leaving from San Juan.

I would LOVE to do a New Years cruise. That would be so cool. But, I bet very expensive. I'll have to check this out!

5 minutes ago, my_crib_too said:

Kim,

Great review as always.  I enjoy each of your cruises as you review them.  Thank you for taking the time.

Bruce...

Thanks Bruce! I really appreciate it and glad you enjoyed it. 

Subscribing... What great timing!! 

Just made our final payment for Horizon yesterday .

Will have to come back here when I can fully focus! 

Great review!! We will be cruising on the Horizon in June. This cruise is to celebrate my grandsons graduation. 

He has been on 2 cruises and has loved them, he has always made friends and had a lot to do. Now that he is 18, he is worried that there will be nothing for him to do. Do you know if there are special things for that age group?

Thank you

Kim,

What did you think of the Horizon overall? Particularly the decor, food, entertainment, and anything else relevant you can think of lol?

Love your fun approach to the review and the cruise. I’ve jokingly wondered how long the thread would be if you and St. Greg ever took the same cruise.

It may be buried in there somewhere I’ve missed, but what type of camera are you using for your underwater shots? They are amazing! The one I’m using now only seems to be able to get to the quality of your “wrong setting” shots.

Again, thanks for all of the details!

2 hours ago, DownToTheSea said:

Love your fun approach to the review and the cruise. I’ve jokingly wondered how long the thread would be if you and St. Greg ever took the same cruise.

It may be buried in there somewhere I’ve missed, but what type of camera are you using for your underwater shots? They are amazing! The one I’m using now only seems to be able to get to the quality of your “wrong setting” shots.

Again, thanks for all of the details!

Thanks so much. I'm not sure who St Greg is. I'll have to check it out. 

I always post the camera info on the first page with details. I actually have 3 of them (all Olympus Tough). 

18 hours ago, Canadian Tyler said:

Great review - thanks for taking the time to share it!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, CoasterGuy said:

Kim,

What did you think of the Horizon overall? Particularly the decor, food, entertainment, and anything else relevant you can think of lol?

I absolutely LOVED it! It was a beautiful ship. I never really care for the entertainment. We aren't really into the "song and dance" Broadway type shows. We always like it when they have a variety of different types of shows like a magician, ventriloquist and so on. Carnival never seems to have much of a variety to us. Food was pretty good. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:18 PM, kdunn6 said:

Great review!! We will be cruising on the Horizon in June. This cruise is to celebrate my grandsons graduation. 

He has been on 2 cruises and has loved them, he has always made friends and had a lot to do. Now that he is 18, he is worried that there will be nothing for him to do. Do you know if there are special things for that age group?

Thank you

I believe the "kids club" stops at age 17, but I'm not completely sure. He's considered an adult, so he would pretty much be able to do the things any adult on the ship would do...go to the adult comedy clubs, dancing, night-life, various things they have on the ship (like the arts & crafts, which I know most 18 year old guys probably wouldn't be interested in, but it's just an example). They have plenty of different things that's going on during the day and will be in the daily Fun Times they give you each day. But as far as special things for that age group, I'm unaware of anything. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:23 PM, cocomango said:

Subscribing... What great timing!! 

Just made our final payment for Horizon yesterday .

Will have to come back here when I can fully focus! 

Well congrats and I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Horizon. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:35 PM, retiring soon said:

Thanks for the link. I like that itinerary and it includes bonnaire! I will have to look it up on the US site and see what I come up with. 

Edited by mitsugirly

Kim! You're back! I'm glad I found you! Actually, I was looking at someone else's video on YouTube, and several of yours from this cruise popped up on my recommended list popped up - so here I am! Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do and it's late for me to start doing that now, but I will most definitely be back soon! 

Another great cruise!  Thanks for writing once again.

I am flying to San Juan to cruise this weekend and most of my info has come from rereading your stuff.

You are always so helpful!

It's taken me a couple of days to read this entire review, it was definitely time well spent! I always love following along with you and your family on cruises! Right now we are in our pre cruise excitement mode, approaching the 90 day mark. We will be on the shiny new Symphony Of The Seas our first time cruising out of Miami.

I thought the Horizon was beautiful, and I may just consider booking a cruise on her at some point. I love the itinerary you sailed. It would work perfectly for us! Well, except for the drive to Miami. Port Canaveral is an easy 90 minute drive from our house, so I guess you could say that we are pretty spoiled in that regard. It is also why most of our cruises have departed from Canaveral.

Thanks for taking the time for sharing another great review with us! 

Edited by perfect match
Fixed typos.

I was finally able to finish your review, lots has happened since you started.  We welcomed a new grandson and have been busy traveling to help out.  Your review was awesome as always and I can't wait to board the ship in May.  Hope Kendra got some rest when she got home.  Have fun planning your next cruise and I can't wait to read about it.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:56 AM, perfect match said:

Kim! You're back! I'm glad I found you! Actually, I was looking at someone else's video on YouTube, and several of yours from this cruise popped up on my recommended list popped up - so here I am! Obviously, I have a lot of catching up to do and it's late for me to start doing that now, but I will most definitely be back soon! 

Hiya! Haha, that's funny that you found me on youtube and discovered this review.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:40 PM, jenseib said:

Another great cruise!  Thanks for writing once again.

I am flying to San Juan to cruise this weekend and most of my info has come from rereading your stuff.

You are always so helpful!

You're welcome and thanks for commenting. Glad I can be of some help at times. That's the reason I do them. I absolutely love San Juan and hope you have an amazing cruise!

On 1/23/2019 at 3:14 AM, perfect match said:

It's taken me a couple of days to read this entire review, it was definitely time well spent! I always love following along with you and your family on cruises! Right now we are in our pre cruise excitement mode, approaching the 90 day mark. We will be on the shiny new Symphony Of The Seas our first time cruising out of Miami.

I thought the Horizon was beautiful, and I may just consider booking a cruise on her at some point. I love the itinerary you sailed. It would work perfectly for us! Well, except for the drive to Miami. Port Canaveral is an easy 90 minute drive from our house, so I guess you could say that we are pretty spoiled in that regard. It is also why most of our cruises have departed from Canaveral.

Thanks for taking the time for sharing another great review with us! 

Aww thanks! 90 day mark! Woo Hoo! I would love to go on the Symphony! I'm looking for something for Spring Break. Kendra texted my last night wanting to book that ship for 2020 and was telling me all about it.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, JaniceB said:

I was finally able to finish your review, lots has happened since you started.  We welcomed a new grandson and have been busy traveling to help out.  Your review was awesome as always and I can't wait to board the ship in May.  Hope Kendra got some rest when she got home.  Have fun planning your next cruise and I can't wait to read about it.

Congrats on the new grandson! Glad you enjoyed the review and I hope you have fun in May on your cruise.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, mitsugirly said:

I was aware of the Weeki Wachee (I went there as a kid myself) and told her about it a year or so ago. I wasn't aware there was a camp though. That would be so cool. I'll have to check into that.  She would LOVE IT!

Hey if you ever get to do Weeki Wachee you might want to plan a little time to drive about an hour and do the "Snorkel with the Manatees" tour at the Plantation on Crystal River too.

"This bay in Crystal River is one of the largest aquifers in the state and home to more than 400 West Indian manatees that migrate each year to the warmth of the springs".

"Unlike other areas of Florida, the Federal Government allows for "passive observation" in the water between manatees and people in Kings Bay. This allows face-to-face interaction with manatees.

https://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm

Bet you'd get some fantastic pictures there!

6 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Hey if you ever get to do Weeki Wachee you might want to plan a little time to drive about an hour and do the "Snorkel with the Manatees" tour at the Plantation on Crystal River too.

"This bay in Crystal River is one of the largest aquifers in the state and home to more than 400 West Indian manatees that migrate each year to the warmth of the springs".

"Unlike other areas of Florida, the Federal Government allows for "passive observation" in the water between manatees and people in Kings Bay. This allows face-to-face interaction with manatees.

https://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm

Bet you'd get some fantastic pictures there!

:classic_ohmy:

I'm definitely wanting to do this!!!

Wow what a cruise and what a great review (as always!)

Kim, it is good to see you back on CC. I just came back from the NCL Escape cruise. I have been wondering where you were all this time. So good to have you back again!

I would never have known about this Christmas cruise review had I not searched for your Jewel of the Seas review again. We are going on the Jewel on Feb 15 and I wanted to go over it one more time. I went through it in two sessions....it is hard to get off the computer when reading a Mitsugirly review.:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: honestly and I believe many other readers feel the same way.

Sakari is growing up so fast. She is beautiful! Kam is a cutie! Adorable! And B is so grown up too. Isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up! You have a very sweet family. Congratulations on your completion of school....you are a free woman !!!:classic_biggrin:

Where is your next cruise? Am I ever going to meet you on one or in some port??!!!!

On 1/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, mitsugirly said:

I wonder if the people in the donkey outfits at the Christmas party were dressed up like Dominick the Donkey. It's a silly song about a Christmas donkey that my 2 year old nephew is obsessed with.  

On 1/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, Arzeena said:

Wow what a cruise and what a great review (as always!)

Kim, it is good to see you back on CC. I just came back from the NCL Escape cruise. I have been wondering where you were all this time. So good to have you back again!

I would never have known about this Christmas cruise review had I not searched for your Jewel of the Seas review again. We are going on the Jewel on Feb 15 and I wanted to go over it one more time. I went through it in two sessions....it is hard to get off the computer when reading a Mitsugirly review.:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: honestly and I believe many other readers feel the same way.

Sakari is growing up so fast. She is beautiful! Kam is a cutie! Adorable! And B is so grown up too. Isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up! You have a very sweet family. Congratulations on your completion of school....you are a free woman !!!:classic_biggrin:

Where is your next cruise? Am I ever going to meet you on one or in some port??!!!!

Aww, thanks so much! I'm hoping to get on the Escape sooner or later. Sakari keeps begging to go on it but I can't seem to make it line up with our schedule and where we want to go. 

I hope you have an amazing time on the Jewel. We LOVED her!

Yes, these kids....ugh, they are getting so big and growing up so quickly. Where does the time go???

Not completed on school quite yet....1 more class to go that starts in February and then I'll be free! I can't wait!

We are not are yet on the next cruise. We always do something for Spring Break, which is in April this year so I'm going to have to get on the ball and find something to book soon. I know it will probably just be us this time around. Kendra is talking about going to Vegas during Spring Break but who knows at this point...Billy (her fiance) just fell and broke his ankle and had surgery with a plate and pins put in so he's down for the count for a while. 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, EmilyAnn86 said:

I wonder if the people in the donkey outfits at the Christmas party were dressed up like Dominick the Donkey. It's a silly song about a Christmas donkey that my 2 year old nephew is obsessed with.  

I've never heard of Dominick the Donkey. Maybe that's what it was. 🙂