Cruise Critic Community
LauraS

Please Welcome: Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com

We're pleased to offer you this oppportunity to ask any question -- any -- about cruise insurance.  Should you buy?  When should you buy?  What does "pre-existing condition mean?  How much should it cost?  What does it cover.  Be as specific as you need to be in your questions!

Steve will be here on January 7th to answer your questions -- go ahead and ask now!

Here's some information about Steve:

Steve Dasseos is recognized as a leading travel insurance expert in the United States. Steve’s helped
over 173,433 travelers understand travel insurance and how it benefits them. He owns TripInsuranceStore.com
which is a popular and very informative travel insurance website.
“The TripInsuranceStore is hands down the best site in the entire industry for booking trip insurance. I've
spoken many times to Steve and he has always taken the time to educate me on the ins and outs of buying trip
insurance properly. The trip insurance industry is a minefield and you better know what you're buying or you
could be left out in the cold if the time comes to make a claim. You have to be a jailhouse lawyer to be able to
navigate through the legal jargon and be confident you have purchased the right policy at the right price. Why
go through all that trouble? Spend the time to read through Steve's blog and you'll be amazed as I was at how
little I knew about this industry. The TripInsuranceStore is the ONLY honest broker out there offering trip
insurance at a fair price coupled with a complete tutorial on which trip insurance you should buy!”
Steve Helveston, Carrollton, VA
“Steve, after twice buying trip insurance through you in the last six months, I've been telling friends and family
that this is what they need to do before their next trip and that this is the place to get it done. The insurance
provides peace of mind. And your outfit makes it easy to get. We had to cancel a European trip because of
illness and not only got reimbursed, but when the insurance company questioned one item, you stepped in and
quickly got us back another $100.” Philip Siekman, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Steve - the interview was wonderful - you sounded great! After talking with you it's clear why you are so
successful - you project a great deal of warmth and sincerity. Keep me in the loop - we are always on the
lookout for new things to benefit consumers. Asa Aarons, wjcl.com/ask-asa
blogtalkradio.com/justaskasa
"The Trip Insurance Store is an online insurance agency that also allows you to book your protection right from
the site, but offers so much information in such a clear and concise manner that we found it to be one of the best
Web sites we have ever visited. Not only can you compare the coverage of several travel insurance providers
side by side, each covered component is described and explained in a manner that makes it easy to understand.
We applaud and appreciate that, since the choices and conditions can be overwhelming. Another thing we liked
about the Trip Insurance Store is that there are live agents you can call toll free to clarify any questions you
might have." Jana Jones, Cruise Writer, CruiseCritic.com
“I call you because I know you understand how travel insurance works.” Laurie Berger, Los Angeles Times
Steve has been featured in over 347 newspapers, magazines, radio stations and books including The Wall Street
Journal, Reader's Digest, Forbes, Family Circle, CruiseCritic.com, CNN Travel, Fox News, MSNBC, Los
Angeles Times, The Chicago Tribune, CBS MarketWatch.com, Town & Country Travel, The Today Show, She
Knows, Frommer's, New York Times, Life Goes Strong, The International Herald Tribune, Time, Undercurrent
Magazine, The Plain Dealer, Ski Magazine, Howard County Times and The Complete Travel Detective Bible.

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate post or place to post ithis; but if not, I'll assume it will just be pulled or moved. I don't have a question. But I do want to say I've used Steve and the gals he works with and tripinsurancestore.com for probably 40 cruises and service has been stellar.  I've had "special circumstances" a few times and called and asked which insurance he'd recommend and he's always extremely helpful as are the other folks that work with him. He really knows his product.

Recently a travel mate of mine lost sensation in her legs a few days before we were set to cruise. It was a fairly pricey cruise and we had various private (non-refundable) excursions lined up.  She filed a claim on her insurance, and said the entire process was painless and she was refunded for every dollar she asked for. But during the process, the folks at tripinsurancestore told her that if she needed any assistance, just to let them know and they'd be there for her. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Hi,

We have used Steve at TripInsuranceStore for many years. Wonderful team and service, wouldn't go anywhere else for trip insurance.

I have a question that I was going to email Steve, but saw this thread and thought maybe others could benefit from the answer.

(Not sure if this is where I post the question, but here it goes...)

We are taking our grandkids ages 7 and 8 on their first cruise this coming April (along with their parents) RT Miami to Bahamas.

We purchased trip insurance from TripInsuranceStore.

All adults have Passports, children will have Birth Certificates.

Q. What happens if there is an emergency with one of the kids (who only have birth certificates) while in the Bahamas and we have to fly home due to either missing the ship after seeking medical assistance in port or needing to fly home for a more serious medical condition?

Can the kids fly back to the US in this situation with only birth certificates? If not, what would happen in an emergency?

Thank you!

Linda L

Laura,

I'm looking thru the postings on this site and see no responses from Steve Dasseos to the many topics  posted. Was that the intent of creating this "site"? I would certainly hope not.....

Edited by Johnamac123

We've also used Steve and his team for many if not all of our trips. Just amazing service.

How nice of CC to acknowledge him and have him answer questions on Jan 7th.

2 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

Laura,

I'm looking thru the postings on this site and see no responses from Steve Dasseos to the many topics  posted. Was that the intent of creating this "site"? I would certainly hope not.....

I believe Steve comes online Jan 7th here on CC...In the mean time call the Trip Insurance Store directly if you need anything.

(888) 407-3854

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I believe Steve comes online Jan 7th here on CC...In the mean time call the Trip Insurance Store directly if you need anything.

(888) 407-3854

Thanks!!

Steve: We have coverage through our American Airlines credit card and also a GeoBlue Trekker Choice policy. Are there any gaps in coverage or anything we should be concerned about when we insure this way? Thanks. 

On 1/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Alaskanb said:

Steve: We have coverage through our American Airlines credit card and also a GeoBlue Trekker Choice policy. Are there any gaps in coverage or anything we should be concerned about when we insure this way? Thanks. 

In anticipation of my visit on Monday Jan 7th, I have a specific question for you, Alaskanb :

Does your American Airlines credit card incude Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage?

Hi Steve,

Given some of the questions here, plus many on the Travel Insurance sub-forum of CC, could you specify if you are able to answer questions about insurance in just the USA, or also any other countries?  If so, which other countries?

Unfortunately that wasn't mentioned at the beginning when this special online discussion was announced.

I know that some in non-USA countries have *very* different insurance regulations/etc., so that makes a huge difference.  (This confusion comes up frequently in the main travel insurance forum, and we all can waste a lot of time talking - er, writing - past each other, if different countries are involved.)

We had dear friends who are European citizens/residents, and we also couldn't help them with any travel insurance information, even though we are all set for ourselves.

Thanks very much!

The Geezers

GC

On 12/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, llarsen said:

Hi,

We have used Steve at TripInsuranceStore for many years. Wonderful team and service, wouldn't go anywhere else for trip insurance.

I have a question that I was going to email Steve, but saw this thread and thought maybe others could benefit from the answer.

(Not sure if this is where I post the question, but here it goes...)

We are taking our grandkids ages 7 and 8 on their first cruise this coming April (along with their parents) RT Miami to Bahamas.

We purchased trip insurance from TripInsuranceStore.

All adults have Passports, children will have Birth Certificates.

Q. What happens if there is an emergency with one of the kids (who only have birth certificates) while in the Bahamas and we have to fly home due to either missing the ship after seeking medical assistance in port or needing to fly home for a more serious medical condition?

Can the kids fly back to the US in this situation with only birth certificates? If not, what would happen in an emergency?

Thank you!

Linda L

Hi Linda,

Nice to hear from you.

I'm not a travel agent, but I was able to find the following information.

Here is the exact search I did on Google:

(I searched this: Can a child fly back to the US with only birth certificates?)
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=firefox-b-1-ab&ei=fWExXIvBLYmmjwTkqrOYDA&q=Can+a+child+fly+back+to+the+US+with+only+birth+certificates%3F&oq=Can+a+child+fly+back+to+the+US+with+only+birth+certificates%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3...108407.114926..118179...0.0..0.74.554.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i10.STjTFTkHyuA

And, I think these two links to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's website will help you:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/~/u.s.-citizens---documents-needed-to-enter-the-united-states-and%2For-to-travel

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Sincerely, Steve

On 12/24/2018 at 9:29 AM, LauraS said:

We're pleased to offer you this oppportunity to ask any question -- any -- about cruise insurance.  Should you buy?  When should you buy?  What does "pre-existing condition mean?  How much should it cost?  What does it cover.  Be as specific as you need to be in your questions!

Steve will be here on January 7th to answer your questions -- go ahead and ask now!

Thank you Laura for giving me this opportunity.

I should have thanked you first, but I was so focused on the questions that I didn't do that right away.

If anyone wants to ask me anything that they don't want to post publicly, they may send it me via a private message here on CruiseCritic or email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com .

Sincerely, Steve

On 1/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Hi Steve,

Given some of the questions here, plus many on the Travel Insurance sub-forum of CC, could you specify if you are able to answer questions about insurance in just the USA, or also any other countries?  If so, which other countries?

Unfortunately that wasn't mentioned at the beginning when this special online discussion was announced.

I know that some in non-USA countries have *very* different insurance regulations/etc., so that makes a huge difference.  (This confusion comes up frequently in the main travel insurance forum, and we all can waste a lot of time talking - er, writing - past each other, if different countries are involved.)

We had dear friends who are European citizens/residents, and we also couldn't help them with any travel insurance information, even though we are all set for ourselves.

Thanks very much!

The Geezers

GC

Hi Geezers,

Nice to hear from you. You always have good questions.

I will only be answering questions for travel insurance policies that are available to residents of the United States. I'm happy to help non-US residents because I might be able to give them a different perspective and some ideas that they can use when they're looking into travel insurance policies from their own country.

Sincerely, Steve

I have used Trip Insurance Store many times over the last 20 years. Absolutely love them!  Great customer service.  Wish I could find this response on other customer service issues!