Cruise Critic Community
tinykygal

Koningsdam Culinary Arts

Sounds like a fun venue.

We don't normally go to the speciality restaurants, but this might be something we would want to do.

Do you think it is worth the $30 pp cover charge?

HAL stated that is 'come as you are.'

What are your dress code suggestions?

Koningsdam just completed a dry dock refurbish this month.  One thing to go was the Culinary Arts Center for meals for the general passengers.  It's now the dining room for Club Orange passengers.  Club Orange is for those who pay the Club Orange upcharge of $50pp/day and for suites passengers.  Those folks may have breakfast and dinner here with an expanded menu compared to the MDR.  The Club Orange upcharge also includes many other perks.  

The America's Test Kitchen contract is over; I don't know if there will still be any cooking demos in this venue.  

m--

My understanding is that the CAC demo area was being moved to the space where the Rolling Stone Rock Room is in the evening with stage settings that transform like they do in the Queen's Lounge on older ships. But don't know if they could offer any meals because of a limited prep area.

Although too late as the previous post says, the CAC was worth every cent of the extra charge when we were onboard in 2017.  Alas not everyone shared our enthusiasm for the venue and on the night we visited myself and my DW were the only two full paying passengers in the room.  We did get the company of the K's singers and dancers who had chosen that night for a bit of a celebration.  From other posts it appears for the last year it has been a venue for tapas.  We also had a great Cellar Masters Dinner in the CAC and joined up with another lovely couple for a dining experience we will not forget.

9 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I am on Koningsdam.  NO cooking demos AT ALL.  No ATK presence except you can watch episodes on TV. 

Sorry to read that. Thought the combo of the live demos combined with the recorded ATK pieces was very well put together and had full audiences on other HAL ships.

18 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I am on Koningsdam.  NO cooking demos AT ALL.  No ATK presence except you can watch episodes on TV. 

This is beyond sad. We have so enjoyed the demos on the Volendam and the Veendam. In fact, some of the sessions required arriving early in order to get handouts and on some days, a seat!

19 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Interesting - one of our 5 Star perks is a private 5 Star cooking class - wonder if that is gone too or if they will substitute something else?  I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks as we board on Jan 13 for 42 days.