Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

Absolutely loving your review! I have often wondered if we would enjoy HAL, I’m really liking what I’m seeing and your comments.  PNG also looks wonderful, looks like I might need to do so further ‘researching’ into HAL.  Thank you again for your review.  Vicki. 🙂 

1 minute ago, Busy Mum said:

Absolutely loving your review! I have often wondered if we would enjoy HAL, I’m really liking what I’m seeing and your comments.  PNG also looks wonderful, looks like I might need to do so further ‘researching’ into HAL.  Thank you again for your review.  Vicki. 🙂 

Thank you Vicki. I have friends and family members who like me hadn't considered HAL as an option who are now open to the idea.  If you have an opportunity to cruise to PNG I certainly recommend it.

Kiriwina is new to tourism.  There are no ship tours and no local tours.  People find this a little surprising and maybe a little daunting but once you visit you understand why this is the case.

As a female solo, I was a little unsure how I would go but fortunately the lovely couple who I mentioned previously invited me to spend the day with them and that was much appreciated.

On arrival at the island beach, we were greeted by all the locals lined up along the beach and further along a sandy pathway leading into various villages, selling their wares of lots and lots and lots of wooden carvings as well as either items.  Whole families were seated on either side of the long pathway and greeted us with a shy hello in the hope we would buy one of their items.

It was very hot and humid.  We walked along the path slowly and eventually came to the first village of several simple abodes where one of the female locals was slicing fruit resting on her legs with a very large machete and another female was feeding her pigs.  We got chatting to one of the male family members and told us that the pigs are only cooked (sorry vegans) on very special occasions (festivities).  After we had been chatting to him for a while he made the first of many many requests on the island to exchange AUD to Kina.

Love all the glass ware in the cabin, and the hairdryer!!

We did PNG on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago and it was one of our more memorable cruises, loved it.

We sailed into Milne Bay on ANZAC morning, will never foget it.

Just put a Poppy on the wall at the War Memorial Canberra today for a cousin that died on the Senanda track and is buried at Port Moresby, so your lovely photos of Alotau have bought back memories today. Thankyou.

The islands of Kirriwina, Kitava and Doini are beautiful.

The local currency is KINA.  If you are reading this and are considering maybe visiting PNG at some time, can I please please ask that you purchase KINA prior to your cruise or if you can on board the cruise ship.  The reason being that AUD is completely useless to the villagers on these remote PNG islands.  

What ends up happening is that cruisers find themselves constantly being approached with very polite and legitimate requests by the islanders on this island and the next one (Kitava) to exchange the AUD that they have received back into Kina.  This is not a scam.  This is a genuine exchange request.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Love all the glass ware in the cabin, and the hairdryer!!

We did PNG on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago and it was one of our more memorable cruises, loved it.

We sailed into Milne Bay on ANZAC morning, will never foget it.

Just put a Poppy on the wall at the War Memorial Canberra today for a cousin that died on the Senanda track and is buried at Port Moresby, so your lovely photos of Alotau have bought back memories today. Thankyou.

The islands of Kirriwina, Kitava and Doini are beautiful.

Sailing into Milne Bay on Anzac morning would be truly memorable.  Having a family member buried in PNG would make it even more so.  The poppy wall in Canberra is special.  I am glad you are enjoying the photos.  Thank you. 

Yes, I was impressed with the glassware.  Didn't need to bring my party champagne glass for a celebratory toast on my verandah immediately after boarding after all.

Edited by aussielozzie18
extra info.