Jump to content
Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
aussielozzie18

Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

Too healthy, where is the full English !!!  Looks nice anyway.

Plenty of hot options to fill your plate NSWP.  I can't eat a full brekky as well as a 3 course dinner in MDR but that's just me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NSWP said:

Too healthy, where is the full English !!!  Looks nice anyway.

Plenty of hot options to fill your plate NSWP.  I can't eat a full brekky as well as a 3 course dinner in MDR but that's just me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely loving your review! I have often wondered if we would enjoy HAL, I’m really liking what I’m seeing and your comments.  PNG also looks wonderful, looks like I might need to do so further ‘researching’ into HAL.  Thank you again for your review.  Vicki. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the ports.  Our 2nd port in PNG was beautiful Kiriwina Island.  This was a tender port and we didn't need to queue for a tender number which was nice.  Just head down to the tender deck when you were ready.

20181213_143121.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Busy Mum said:

Absolutely loving your review! I have often wondered if we would enjoy HAL, I’m really liking what I’m seeing and your comments.  PNG also looks wonderful, looks like I might need to do so further ‘researching’ into HAL.  Thank you again for your review.  Vicki. 🙂 

Thank you Vicki. I have friends and family members who like me hadn't considered HAL as an option who are now open to the idea.  If you have an opportunity to cruise to PNG I certainly recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 4 cruises, I have made the decision that if I am going to book a cruise it must come with a balcony.  I do it mainly for the port sail ins and departures and with views like this I think it's worth it.

20181213_143154.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiriwina is new to tourism.  There are no ship tours and no local tours.  People find this a little surprising and maybe a little daunting but once you visit you understand why this is the case.

 

As a female solo, I was a little unsure how I would go but fortunately the lovely couple who I mentioned previously invited me to spend the day with them and that was much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On arrival at the island beach, we were greeted by all the locals lined up along the beach and further along a sandy pathway leading into various villages, selling their wares of lots and lots and lots of wooden carvings as well as either items.  Whole families were seated on either side of the long pathway and greeted us with a shy hello in the hope we would buy one of their items.

 

It was very hot and humid.  We walked along the path slowly and eventually came to the first village of several simple abodes where one of the female locals was slicing fruit resting on her legs with a very large machete and another female was feeding her pigs.  We got chatting to one of the male family members and told us that the pigs are only cooked (sorry vegans) on very special occasions (festivities).  After we had been chatting to him for a while he made the first of many many requests on the island to exchange AUD to Kina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love all the glass ware in the cabin, and the hairdryer!!

We did PNG on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago and it was one of our more memorable cruises, loved it.

We sailed into Milne Bay on ANZAC morning, will never foget it.

Just put a Poppy on the wall at the War Memorial Canberra today for a cousin that died on the Senanda track and is buried at Port Moresby, so your lovely photos of Alotau have bought back memories today. Thankyou.

The islands of Kirriwina, Kitava and Doini are beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The local currency is KINA.  If you are reading this and are considering maybe visiting PNG at some time, can I please please ask that you purchase KINA prior to your cruise or if you can on board the cruise ship.  The reason being that AUD is completely useless to the villagers on these remote PNG islands.  

 

What ends up happening is that cruisers find themselves constantly being approached with very polite and legitimate requests by the islanders on this island and the next one (Kitava) to exchange the AUD that they have received back into Kina.  This is not a scam.  This is a genuine exchange request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Love all the glass ware in the cabin, and the hairdryer!!

We did PNG on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago and it was one of our more memorable cruises, loved it.

We sailed into Milne Bay on ANZAC morning, will never foget it.

Just put a Poppy on the wall at the War Memorial Canberra today for a cousin that died on the Senanda track and is buried at Port Moresby, so your lovely photos of Alotau have bought back memories today. Thankyou.

The islands of Kirriwina, Kitava and Doini are beautiful.

Sailing into Milne Bay on Anzac morning would be truly memorable.  Having a family member buried in PNG would make it even more so.  The poppy wall in Canberra is special.  I am glad you are enjoying the photos.  Thank you. 

 

Yes, I was impressed with the glassware.  Didn't need to bring my party champagne glass for a celebratory toast on my verandah immediately after boarding after all.

Edited by aussielozzie18
extra info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we walked along the rustic path to the various villages, we were passed by the local ladies carrying goods on there heads and men carrying goods on their shoulders.

20181213_111045.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×