Cruise Critic Community
jdcvox

Senior singles cruise for my dad

Hi-

I’m having a very difficult time finding a cruise that is specifically for senior singles. All of the searches I do for “singles” give me rates for single occupancy. Preferably,  I’m looking for a smaller ship that is also luxurious (price isn’t an issue). He is very active and works out daily...

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't believe there is any line or ship that is strictly for singles, or seniors.  Although you will find a high percentage of seniors on longer cruises, and luxury lines.  There is an agency that organizes singles groups on cruises, but I think they might be a younger demographic.  You might ask here on the boards for the luxury lines what the demographic is, and percentage of singles...Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn, Windstar, Oceania, Viking, Hapag- Lloyd and others.  There is also a forum here for Luxury Cruises and you might inquire there.    https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/343-luxury-cruising/

There are also separate boards here for Solo and Singles cruises:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/85-singles-cruises/

There might be tour operators that book cruises for groups of singles, but even then I doubt if any would be strictly for senior singles.   Is he really looking for a singles' cruise (where everyone is single and looking to meet other singles), or just a cruise where it is comfortable to be sailing solo and where not everyone is coupled up?  If he's looking for the first (looking to meet only other single people), then try the "singles cruises" forum, and do a google search for a tour operator that might be organizing something like that.  If he's looking for a cruise to be comfortable as a solo passenger, I recommend Crystal which, thanks to it's relatively low singles' supplement, has a higher-than-average percentage of solo passengers, especially on their longer voyages.  It's a luxury line, and it's ships carry 800-900 people or so. 

Also, how old is your dad, if you don’t mind me asking?  For a lot of purposes, 55+ is considered senior.  But so is 90+, and not all seniors are looking for the same things.  And is he a technophobe who can’t/won’t do his own searching, or does he even know you’re searching for him?  If we know what he wants, perhaps we can make more specific recommendations.  

9 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

If he's looking for a cruise to be comfortable as a solo passenger, I recommend Crystal which, thanks to it's relatively low singles' supplement, has a higher-than-average percentage of solo passengers, especially on their longer voyages.  It's a luxury line, and it's ships carry 800-900 people or so. 

This applies to Silversea also - many of their voyages are 50% solo supplement, and some are 25%. Smaller ships than Crystal but more of them so more choices of dates and itineraries. Huge and comfy cabins and bathrooms.

Onboard, solos are treated very well - it's very easy to meet other pax, both solo and couples or groups. I always sail solo and have 250+ days with Silversea and continue to be very happy with them - I'm treated like an old friend when I board! Their past passenger program is very generous too.

PS lisiamc - we met on Silversea, can't remember when - was it the Spirit March 2016? Or the Wind Jan 2017?

Edited by jollyjones

Is he looking for a singles cruise - where most people are looking to hook up - or for a cruise he'll be comfortable on as a solo?  I've cruised solo on Princess, Celebrity, NCL, Windstar, and Lindblad.  They have all been fantastic trips.

Holland America passengers are normally an older demographic and the ships don't have the water slides, adventure stuff that kids want.  They aren't party ships, but very elegant and easy to interact with other passengers because they are smaller ships.  STill lots to do!  we are on the Oosterdam in March it holds 1964 passengers.  This will be our 8th cruise on Holland America.   Check them out!

14 hours ago, jdcvox said:

Hi-

I’m having a very difficult time finding a cruise that is specifically for senior singles. All of the searches I do for “singles” give me rates for single occupancy. Preferably,  I’m looking for a smaller ship that is also luxurious (price isn’t an issue). He is very active and works out daily...

The luxury ships with smaller passenger counts will help encourage socialization and make introductions.  

Has your dad indicated that he would like to go on a cruise?  And to where?  Have you considered a river cruise, either in the US or Europe?  A riverboat on the Mississippi or Columbia rivers?  Or even the coastal cruises on American Cruise Lines.  EM

6 hours ago, jollyjones said:

PS lisiamc - we met on Silversea, can't remember when - was it the Spirit March 2016? Or the Wind Jan 2017?

Hello jollyjones!  We met on a Transatlantic on Silver Cloud, I think, in March 2015.  We were just in Bermuda twice last year (more Transatlantics!) and thought of you.  I hope you’ve been keeping well.

And I agree about Sliversea being very single-friendly.  A good option for OP’s dad to investigate.

There's the new Saga Spirit of Discovery due to be launched this July.

You have to be at least 50 years old,  and there's about 100 single cabins, so that's going to be a high number of singles on a small, luxurious ship.

Unfortunately, it's in the UK, if you're from the US.

Thanks everyone! 

@jocap that’s excellent to know!! We are in the US (or what’s left of it) but travel to the UK is easy enough. 

Happy New Year to all!

Have you looked at river cruises? They are small ships (usually 100 to 150 passengers) with few if any children.

23 hours ago, jdcvox said:

Hi-

Do you want a nice solo cruise for him or are you looking at a singles cruise. The luxury lines are very nice for older solo cruisers, and usually have lower single supplements, but they are certainly not "singles" cruises.

I agree with the other folks who have given you good information about no specific cruiselines that are for "Sr singles"...…...I would say go to a TA in your area that specializes in cruising and talk to them in person about what your Dad is looking for.

But I will say I have sailed with Silversea and highly recommend them. I am 60 and always sail solo and I LOVE Silversea:classic_biggrin: