Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
GlendaleCruiser

Totems in Ketchikan

Recommended Posts

Has anyone been to the Totems in Ketchikan without taking a tour?  We want to see them but we don't want to do the Lumberjack show or canoeing combined with it.  Is it far?  Is there public transportation like bus or taxi? Is it close enough to walk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NONE require any "combo touring".    There are numerous totems  available,   with easy walking,  bus,  or cab access.    Right on the dock is the Eagle totem between docks  2 and 3.     Across the street,  is the bus stop that will take you to Totem Bight on the Silver bus.   Print out and take the totem guide with you,    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm    allow 3 hours,  with transit.  

 

Walking,   Whale Park,  and the Creek Street Entrance  has totems.    Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.     Alaska Discovery,  museum,  and Totem Heritage Museum are excellent.     City bus to  Saxman is also worthwhile-  with a guided tour superior .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

Thank you!  Totem Bight is what we want.  I'll print it and we'll plan on it. 🙂

 

We took a taxi to Totem Bight. You can take the public bus, but it takes longer (due to stops) and we wanted to maximize what we saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.      

Is the funicular back in operation? It was out of service when we visited August 2017 and May 2018.  At that point, I asked what was up at a nearby store and was told that there was a problem getting the parts needed to repair it so there was no estimate on when, or even if, it would be back in service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the information.  It is exactly what we needed to know.  We'll take a taxi there and I assuming we can get one back?  We'll see how much time we have left for shopping afterwards.

 

Love your pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

Thank you all for the information.  It is exactly what we needed to know.  We'll take a taxi there and I assuming we can get one back?  We'll see how much time we have left for shopping afterwards.

 

Love your pictures!

 

The taxi that dropped us off at Totem Bight gave us a card so we could call to have them come back if needed and that's what we ended up doing. When we were there, we didn't see any taxis hanging out to pick up fares. I'd recommend that you either arrange with the driver to return for you at a specific time or have a number to call. We had decent cell service there.

 

We had walked around town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center before going out to Totem Bight. At that point, we hadn't seen any taxis queued for fares near the port so we asked about taxis at the Discovery Center desk and they gave us a number to call. A taxi picked us up within a few minutes (my husband had just enough time to go across the street and by a mocha to feed his addiction before it arrived). If you want to be more prepared than us, you might get a couple of taxi company numbers beforehand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

 

The taxi that dropped us off at Totem Bight gave us a card so we could call to have them come back if needed and that's what we ended up doing. When we were there, we didn't see any taxis hanging out to pick up fares. I'd recommend that you either arrange with the driver to return for you at a specific time or have a number to call. We had decent cell service there.

 

We had walked around town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center before going out to Totem Bight. At that point, we hadn't seen any taxis queued for fares near the port so we asked about taxis at the Discovery Center desk and they gave us a number to call. A taxi picked us up within a few minutes (my husband had just enough time to go across the street and by a mocha to feed his addiction before it arrived). If you want to be more prepared than us, you might get a couple of taxi company numbers beforehand.

Great idea and thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always recommend going to Totem Bight  early-   not "tour"  around Ketchikan port area ,  then go .   Superior planning-  to be back in the port area for filling in time that is walkable .   The Silver line bus,  leaves about 25 after the hour from downtown.     there is no cab line at Totem Bight.   IF you call for one,  do so about 30  minutes prior to needing with and agree upon a pick up time.    I also suggest, heading next door  to Potlatch Park and taking a look at their small museum.    Also walk out back,  sometimes their carving shed is open[-  worth taking a look in the window,  at least.    Cabs can pick you up right there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

What is the cost of a Taxi out to Totem Bright park?  

 

I'm interested in knowing that, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

 

I'm interested in knowing that, too.

We've been going to Alaska every year for the last 15 years or so. We do something different every year. This we are talking about doing this taxi tour in Ketchikan   https://ketchikantaxicabtours.com/?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also pick up a van tour at the dock that will give you a custom tour.  There are a couple of them run by local Tlingits who know a lot about the local culture and history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

You can also pick up a van tour at the dock that will give you a custom tour.  There are a couple of them run by local Tlingits who know a lot about the local culture and history.

 

We will check that out.  Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 12:23 AM, Budget Queen said:

. . . Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.  . . . 

We did this at least once--easy , no tour or taxi required as long as a person can walk a few blocks on a flat surface (downtown Ketchikan) to reach the funicular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the funicular is open, we may do that if we have time.  Two in our group are asthmatic and unable to climb that trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 11:13 PM, Eaglecw said:

We've been going to Alaska every year for the last 15 years or so. We do something different every year. This we are talking about doing this taxi tour in Ketchikan   https://ketchikantaxicabtours.com/?

Hi. Hoping you can help since this is our 1st time in Ketchikan.  Totem Bight or  Saxman?  We are only in port for about 5-1/2 hours and hoping to hike Rainbird trail.  Which would you suggest?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Totem Bight idea. I looked up the bus schedule. It is every hour and the fare is $2 each way. We are going to do a walking town around the town which only takes around 2hr. This is a good addition to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, JCBAY4 said:

Hi. Hoping you can help since this is our 1st time in Ketchikan.  Totem Bight or  Saxman?  We are only in port for about 5-1/2 hours and hoping to hike Rainbird trail.  Which would you suggest?  Thanks.

I would catch the city bus early in the morning out to Totem Bright. Tour the Totems there then catch the city bus back into town and then do the Rainbird hike. Rainbird is a wonderful hike, it's only about an 11/2 or 2 hour hike, it's well worth the time. A little tip, the bus will be very crowded going out to Totem bright. Walk up towards Creek Street and catch the bus at one of the stops before the tourist area around the ship berths/piers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...