Cabin bathroom smell

Monica887

Random pondering...about halfway through the trip on the Escape, the cabin bathroom smelled. It smelled like a portapotty. Our room attendant was seemingly excellent and the room seemed clean. Our bathroom at home does not smell. And just to be sure I ran some wet wipes around the edges. Was it just us, or a known problem? I've cruised many times before and never had this problem.

If the drain trap dries out it leaves an air passage for foul odors to waft thru the cabin -

as noted in the previous post fill it full of water. It won't overflow unless blocked.

If blocked call for maintenance.

Water is the trap or plug holding the odor at bay.

The drain trap is basically the same as the J pipe underneath the sinks except you don't

see all the pipes.

The sinks are used often enough that they do not dry out.

A new cabin steward may not know of this but a seasoned veteran should.  

10 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

we use the ice bucket to pour water into the toilet.  This solves the problem.

That will NOT solve the problem - it is the floor drain either in the shower/bath or in corner of the bathroom.

Overflow from the shower will get to the floor drain before swamping the carpet in the cabin.

Normally there is small lip that you have to step over getting into and out of the bathroom.

The shower drain should not be the problem because it is used often enough.

That floor drain in the corner off to the side of the bathroom is the culprit - may not seen any overflow

activity for weeks on end and then when dry air begins to flow and whatever has festered died will raise

the stink level up a notch or two.

The commode brush as previously mentioned in post # 5 could very well be the culprit or contributing element.

14 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

That will NOT solve the problem - it is the floor drain either in the shower/bath or in corner of the bathroom.

Overflow from the shower will get to the floor drain before swamping the carpet in the cabin.

Normally there is small lip that you have to step over getting into and out of the bathroom.

The shower drain should not be the problem because it is used often enough.

That floor drain in the corner off to the side of the bathroom is the culprit - may not seen any overflow

activity for weeks on end and then when dry air begins to flow and whatever has festered died will raise

the stink level up a notch or two.

The commode brush as previously mentioned in post # 5 could very well be the culprit or contributing element.

Thanks good to know 

3 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

op, did you problem ever get solved? It has been a couple of days now, hope everything is ok. 

I posted after the trip, so I didn't have a chance to give it a try, but I'm happy to have what sounds like a good solution if it should happen again! Thanks!