Western Mediterranean NCL Epic Help

DaisyDebmo

Traveling in November 2019 embarkation Barcelona.  We could not get a direct flight into Barcelona during November on American Airlines, so we are flying direct to Madrid.  We will be taking the rail into Barcelona.  We booked the Barcelona Hilton with rewards points.  Anyone have any experience with the rail and transportation to the pier from Barcelona?  Any help appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I too will be cruising from Barcelona in November for a 12 day cruise, first trip to Europe and first NCL cruise! I am excited, yet overwhelmed. This will be our longest trip ever! We have done many 6-8 day cruises with Carnival to the Caribbean. Never flown either! Lots of first for my daughter (20) and I. Looking forward to great tips and info. I do know we are staying at the Montblanc Hotel. That's all I know and have put together so far. We arrive about 26 hours before ship leaves the port.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:41 PM, jmedlin78@gmail.com said:

I too will be cruising from Barcelona in November for a 12 day cruise, first trip to Europe and first NCL cruise! I am excited, yet overwhelmed. This will be our longest trip ever! We have done many 6-8 day cruises with Carnival to the Caribbean. Never flown either! Lots of first for my daughter (20) and I. Looking forward to great tips and info. I do know we are staying at the Montblanc Hotel. That's all I know and have put together so far. We arrive about 26 hours before ship leaves the port.

I love Barcelona and wish that you had more time to spend there.     Sounds as if you will have around 20 hours there less sleeping time.   I was just there in September 2018  and will return with family in July.  Whatever you do, DO NOT miss seeing La Sagrada Familia!  I'm of the opinion that you do not need a tour guide in order to experience it from the inside but others might think otherwise.  Either way, you need to have prearranged/prepurchased entry tickets in order to skip the long lines.  You should also determine if entry is actually available for the day of your visit.  I bought my tickets thru Viator.  Suggest that you might consider the Hop On Hop Off bus on which you can cheaply see (drive by) a great deal of the city in 4-6 hours.  I did this in Sept again buying tickets thru Viator.  This July, I've opted to have  Barcelona Day Tours begin our 5 hour city tour by picking us up at the airport when we arrive around 9am , doing the city tour and dropping us and our luggage at our hotel at the end of the tour around 1pm....saving us time and some taxi money as well. We'll then make our way to LSF at 3pm with prepurchased designed entry time tickets.  Lastly, you might want to consider a Tapas Tour with Urban Adventures after your LSF tour.  Did this as well in Sept and enjoyed seeing some different parts of the city along with a few tapas and beverages.  Tour met at 515p and lasted a couple of hours. You'll be tired but will have maximized your limited time.   I'll email you my email address if you'd like to ask me other questions.  

I took the train from Madrid to Barcelona a few years back and it was an easy way to travel.  There was one snag though, my early train was cancelled and just tacked onto the next train departing the station. Due to my poor Spanish language skills and inexperience with rail travel, I was a little confused at the time (I didn’t need a new ticket and had the same seat), but it all worked out.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, jmedlin78@gmail.com said:

Hotel Montblanc is an NCL preferred hotel so I assume you have taken package with them re flights etc

if so there will be reps at airport to transport you to hotel and to port next day

Hotel itself is comfortable and just round the corner from the main square P Cataluyna

that is where HOHO buses start from

no need to book ahead-tickets sold on board or by tourng reps nearby

if you use City Sightseeing buses and keep receipts that will give you discount if you use in other cities

1 minute ago, fabnfortysomething said:

Hotel Montblanc is an NCL preferred hotel so I assume you have taken package with them re flights etc

if so there will be reps at airport to transport you to hotel and to port next day

Hotel itself is comfortable and just round the corner from the main square P Cataluyna

that is where HOHO buses start from

no need to book ahead-tickets sold on board or by tourng reps nearby

if you use City Sightseeing buses and keep receipts that will give you discount if you use in other cities

Great! Thanks... I have no idea what to do, where to start, how to begin to get organized for this trip!. LOL  I really need to start writing these things down, putting in folders for each place or something. I am feeling overwhelmed, I know there are tons of things to see and do. I am trying to find the easiest and most cost efficient ways. But with that said, I am willing to splurge on MUST see and do things. I am so grateful for all the tips and ideas

3 minutes ago, jmedlin78@gmail.com said:

Great! Thanks... I have no idea what to do, where to start, how to begin to get organized for this trip!. LOL  I really need to start writing these things down, putting in folders for each place or something. I am feeling overwhelmed, I know there are tons of things to see and do. I am trying to find the easiest and most cost efficient ways. But with that said, I am willing to splurge on MUST see and do things. I am so grateful for all the tips and ideas

best place t research is the Europe ports of call forum

29 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

best place t research is the Europe ports of call forum

This

But also getting from MAdrid to Barcelona by train is easy.  The trains are good quality.    Make sure that you have wheeled luggage - and as light as you can because the fast trains are really long - you might have to walk some way.  However you are boarded onto the trains very professionally.  

The advice to see Sagrada Familia is good - make sure you get your tickets online before you go.  I thought that the audio guide was worth it.  

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities.  I am actually setting off to Granada for a long weekend tomorrow.  If Barcelona was within driving distance I would be there instead.  

Enjoy your trip.  

• Like 1

I also agree Barcelona is wonderful.  Was there with Wife and Kids.  We used the Hop on Hop off bus and it was a great way to get around the city.  The City is quite beautiful. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello I wanted to know if the tour in Naples is full with your group. We are three passengers and I contacted Italy tours and they asked me to find 2 more couples to accommodate us. But if your group is not full we will gladly join your group.

let me know thanks.