Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

Some Background

--First Cruise:     Monterey/Matson Lines   Summer 1971  Honolulu to Los Angeles  (OK-I was only 17)😁

--First "Celebrity"     Amerikanis/Chandris    Spring 1986    Bahamas

We are Elite, but do other cruise lines, self-charter sailboats, self-charter boats on canals/rivers in Europe, rent international villas, do plenty of DIY driving trips internationally.

Watching ALL the Edge info.   Seems like Celebrity does not want you to stay in your cabins very much.  Comfort items are gone--especially for veranda type people (like us).  I won't repeat all the negatives, but WOW!  Even room service hours.  Harder to get drinks with less bars (not nice for people with drink packages), major $$$$$ stores, more eateries for $$$$, comments also say quite a bit of upselling.  No library,  such a simple thing.   Not sounding like something we want.  Having seen many, many reviews with pictures, it does look like a beautiful ship inside, the outside is ugly/tacky.  We are there for the SEA/OCEAN connection.  So, not something we would consider, and hoping the fleet doesn't get screwed up.  Happy New Year!

Well - I have seen an advance sneak peak at the Millennium deck plans and the iLounge, acupuncture and library areas midship on deck 6,7,8,9 are all GONE and replaced by inside cabins!  No indication anywhere of a new Library space.  There is an indication that the iLounge will be relocated to the unused area on deck 3 between the mid elevators and ships exterior.  Tuscan Grille is being shrunk to closer resemble the Connie and several new cabins will be installed port side between Tuscan and the mid elevators.  Spa and Oceanview cafe areas significant changes and more AQ cabins being added near spa.  Some images attached below

Reconfigured Spa:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan A.JPG

Reconfigured Oceanview Cafe:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan B.JPG

Millenium post dry dock deck plan C.JPG

Retreat Sundeck deck 12 FWD:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan D.JPG

Reconfigured Deck 3 midship areas:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan E.JPG

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Thanks 2

Well the positive is they have not done away with the Sky Lounge (Cosmos lounge) thank goodness!

I read somewhere that the balcony cabins can't actually be changed to IV cabins due to the structure of the ship so hopefully that is the case as those IV 'balconies' have got to be the biggest ruse I've come across in a long time.

Thanks for posting the plans, AtlantaCruiser. It appears that the extra cabins are following on from what they did on Connie - X are basically adding more and more cabins throughout the ship. I really hope this doesn’t result in an overcrowded feeling, especially on the smaller M class ships. I imagine Blu may feel it more with the additional Aqua cabins and obviously up top with the reduction in open public space after the Retreat area is added. Fingers crossed the new cabin designs are thoroughly thought out 😉.

Edited by villauk

5 hours ago, cluso said:

Some Background

--First Cruise:     Monterey/Matson Lines   Summer 1971  Honolulu to Los Angeles  (OK-I was only 17)😁

--First "Celebrity"     Amerikanis/Chandris    Spring 1986    Bahamas

We are Elite, but do other cruise lines, self-charter sailboats, self-charter boats on canals/rivers in Europe, rent international villas, do plenty of DIY driving trips internationally.

Watching ALL the Edge info.   Seems like Celebrity does not want you to stay in your cabins very much.  Comfort items are gone--especially for veranda type people (like us).  I won't repeat all the negatives, but WOW!  Even room service hours.  Harder to get drinks with less bars (not nice for people with drink packages), major $$$$$ stores, more eateries for $$$$, comments also say quite a bit of upselling.  No library,  such a simple thing.   Not sounding like something we want.  Having seen many, many reviews with pictures, it does look like a beautiful ship inside, the outside is ugly/tacky.  We are there for the SEA/OCEAN connection.  So, not something we would consider, and hoping the fleet doesn't get screwed up.  Happy New Year!

But they kept the Art Auctions.... 😁

• Haha 2

Not sure anyone that understands the way the mainstream cruise industry has gone would be suprised by the changes. More cabins, less space, upselling, less staff, drinks packages. Focus on Suite customers ( bigger profits) Floating theme parks/hotels over tradition cruise ships with a connection to the sea. Revolutionised/ increased profits. 

Just the way it is so we might as well embrace it, it’s never going back to the way it used to be.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, yorky said:

Not sure anyone that understands the way the mainstream cruise industry has gone would be suprised by the changes. More cabins, less space, upselling, less staff, drinks packages. Focus on Suite customers ( bigger profits) Floating theme parks/hotels over tradition cruise ships with a connection to the sea. Revolutionised/ increased profits. 

Just the way it is so we might as well embrace it, it’s never going back to the way it used to be.

I'll embrace it, as long as the food, bedding, and service remains at a decent standard.  However, more of my business may go elsewhere, where value tips in their favor.

• Like 1

Yorky thank you for your spot on analysis - you are quite correct. Well summarized.

Purchasing the mainstream cruise line product you described is not something my household will do.

While we have patronized the Oceania and Viking products, they too are busy cheapening their product.

We have no cruises booked and none planned. 

Too many other options to have fun and travel out there.

3 hours ago, yorky said:

Spot on! Until complaints rise, ships sailing at less than max capacity, and more and more empty specialty restaurants collect dust will things remain the same. 

I just hope that Celebrity top brass will stop and re-evaluate their plans for total Revolution of all their M & S class ships for  a year .  To ascertain all the comments, documentation from travelers on The Edge (what is Excellent, the good, the bad, what is working, what is not working and then make the proper changes).

The Ball is in Celebrity court. IMHO. 

Edited by cruise47
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

But they kept the Art Auctions.... 😁

Unfortunately, regardless of how many people detest the art auctions, they must continue to be a revenue stream for them. Really can’t fault them for that, orany other changes that enhance their revenue.thetrick is that they do it in a way that does not lessen the overall experience. IMO, the addition of the Retreat on deck 12 makes use of a space that wasgreatly underused.  Now if they screwed with the Sky Lounge any more, than they had by adding the Fun Factory some years ago, that would be a different story.

I guess acupuncture wasn’t generating enough revenue, & the library has probably been a thorn in their side for a long time, unless they could start renting books!

the other thing to remember is that we who are fsmiliar with tge present ships will most likely eventually get over any changes we don’t like, but newbies will never know the difference. I am sure that is the bean counter’s mindset.

Edited by richsea
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, yorky said:

yorky,

I guess I have embraced it as you suggest since I continue to pay for cruises.  So what is a "traditional" cruise ship anyway?  The industry and its ships like everything else in life, changes constantly.  Sometimes I think about the past norms with some fondness but not usually as there have been a lot of improvements in safety and technology.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richsea said:

Unfortunately, regardless of how many people detest the art auctions, they must continue to be a revenue stream for them. Really can’t fault them for that, orany other changes that enhance their revenue.thetrick is that they do it in a way that does not lessen the overall experience. IMO, the addition of the Retreat on deck 12 makes use of a space that wasgreatly underused.  Now if they screwed with the Sky Lounge any more, than they had by adding the Fun Factory some years ago, that would be a different story.

I guess acupuncture wasn’t generating enough revenue, & the library has probably been a thorn in their side for a long time, unless they could start renting books!

the other thing to remember is that we who are fsmiliar with tge present ships will most likely eventually get over any changes we don’t like, but newbies will never know the difference. I am sure that is the bean counter’s mindset.

Without a doubt, many of us have had it good over the decades for sure. You mention the library, it’s my wife’s first port of call as she loves reading physical books but they are heavy to bring in luggage as she goes through a good few over the period of a cruise, It’s also a lovely place to sit. However it does not make Celebrity money so it needs to go. Another small thing and maybe of no consequence to many to be fair.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

yorky,

I guess I have embraced it as you suggest since I continue to pay for cruises.  So what is a "traditional" cruise ship anyway?  The industry and its ships like everything else in life, changes constantly.  Sometimes I think about the past norms with some fondness but not usually as there have been a lot of improvements in safety and technology.  

I guess “traditional” maybe means different things to different people. We started cruising in the days of the QE2 and the like, for me a ship that still epitomised the traditions of cruising. A true ocean liner with service and elegance to match where you still felt you had that connection to the sea. No upselling of those speciality restaurants or drinks packages, dressing up to enjoy fantastic meals with others cruisers in the dining room, music around the ship that matched the environment. I believe you still get that in upscale cruise lines ( at a cost) but for mainstream lines ships have turned into all inclusive floating resorts where nickel and diming is the norm. Are they safer ? probably although i’ve never been in one that sunk anyway. Technologically more advanced without a doubt but do I really care about that when we cruise ? No in truth.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Well - I have seen an advance sneak peak at the Millennium deck plans and the iLounge, acupuncture and library areas midship on deck 6,7,8,9 are all GONE and replaced by inside cabins!  No indication anywhere of a new Library space.  There is an indication that the iLounge will be relocated to the unused area on deck 3 between the mid elevators and ships exterior.  Tuscan Grille is being shrunk to closer resemble the Connie and several new cabins will be installed port side between Tuscan and the mid elevators.  Spa and Oceanview cafe areas significant changes and more AQ cabins being added near spa.  

Thanks for the sneak peak!  I'm never a fan a removing public space for more cabins, but this is the trend.  In the past Royal Caribbean/Celebrity took a more balanced approach than some competitors, but I'm not sure that is true anymore.  

I'm very disappointed in the spa/fitness center.  I was hoping it would be enlarged, and instead it was shrunk.  Gone is the wonderful men's changing room with the sauna facing the sea.  How sad.  The pitiful Persian Garden looks no larger.  Hopefully it will be gutted and redone.

As others have mentioned, at least we still have the Observation Lounge (I'm assuming though).  I thought for certain that would be turned into suites.   

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Well - I have seen an advance sneak peak at the Millennium deck plans and the iLounge, acupuncture and library areas midship on deck 6,7,8,9 are all GONE and replaced by inside cabins!  No indication anywhere of a new Library space.  There is an indication that the iLounge will be relocated to the unused area on deck 3 between the mid elevators and ships exterior.  Tuscan Grille is being shrunk to closer resemble the Connie and several new cabins will be installed port side between Tuscan and the mid elevators.  Spa and Oceanview cafe areas significant changes and more AQ cabins being added near spa.  Some images attached below

Reconfigured Spa:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan A.JPG

Reconfigured Oceanview Cafe:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan B.JPG

Millenium post dry dock deck plan C.JPG

Retreat Sundeck deck 12 FWD:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan D.JPG

Reconfigured Deck 3 midship areas:

Millenium post dry dock deck plan E.JPG

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm that Luminae is still in the same spot and Retreat Lounge location is where Michael's Club currently is? Also, any new suites being added anywhere? Any other changes to the top deck; is basketball court still present, any update to the rooftop terrace?

Smaller gym makes me cringe, but health is not important to everyone, in the way of, physical fitness...it is just that I would have to eat less if I could not do a complete workout...oh woe is me...but if it is open 24 hours like Edge, maybe it will not be so crowded...glass half-full.

Thank you for the information, cluso!

Edited by Lastdance

42 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm that Luminae is still in the same spot and Retreat Lounge location is where Michael's Club currently is? Also, any new suites being added anywhere? Any other changes to the top deck; is basketball court still present, any update to the rooftop terrace?

Those areas all remain unchanged per the deck plans I saw.  There did not appear to be an increase in suites.  The basic layout and size of all public area appears to remain intact, however these deck plans may not yet be "final" or represent the actuality of the onboard product in detail.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Smaller gym makes me cringe, but health is not important to everyone, in the way of, physical fitness...it is just that I would have to eat less if I could not do a complete workout...oh woe is me...but if it is open 24 hours like Edge, maybe it will not be so crowded...glass half-full.

Thank you for the information, cluso!

This is the first view of the reconfiguration and it's terrible. The gym is very small and it's going to be geared towards cardio rather than cardio AND weight training. And obviously there's not going to be saunas in the new locker rooms since they're putting in men's & women's in the space of the women's. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This is the first view of the reconfiguration and it's terrible. The gym is very small and it's going to be geared towards cardio rather than cardio AND weight training. And obviously there's not going to be saunas in the new locker rooms since they're putting in men's & women's in the space of the women's. 

How can you say something like this when you haven't been on the reconfigured ship yet?😉

• Like 3

Please let us know if you find S class changes. I am not familiar with M class... so hard for me to evaluate. I was a bit surprised at the immediate construction of Apex before any real passengers had tried out the product. But given that the ship was... what a Billion $ investment.... plans alone must be in the tens of millions... got get their money's worth, I suppose. Ideally you would test market your product before making a major commitment... but this is difficult to do with something as costly as a cruise ship. Unlike most, I liked the IV... but I think they completely miscalculated the size of the veranda. Perhaps if it actually was 42sq ft of useable space instead of 33... they might have something functional. But for DH who likes sitting on the real veranda... it just did not cut it. I liked being able to have such a clear connection with the outside... without having to step out into the sun and heat. But you need to please both passengers if you want repeat business.... and there are only so many people who go to the caribbean in the summer and like sitting indoors 🙂