Cruise Critic Community
mom2myrugrat

carnival victory beverage question

first time traveling on carnival, there is 4 adults in the room, but only 1 is a drinker, what are my options, as i can't just order one drink package but instead have to spend $980 for 3 people who don't drink at all and 1 who does, Can i just purchase all soda packages instead and purchase the bar fun cash for the one who does drink???? My husband and I and my mom are diabetics so we can't drink alcohol so wondering what i should do

Yes, you can pay as you go for the 1 drinker, using bar cash or prepaid carnival gift cards to add to the sign and sail of that person-the gift cards can be purchased at a discount, to save money on the overall bill.

Instead of buying the bubbles package, each person can bring cans of soda and  order cases of bottled water for the cabin.

Also, if the person that drinks has a special kind of alcohol they like, you can order a bottle or two for them to have all week in the cabin, much cheaper than 980.00.  They can then just purchase mixers for those drinks, again much cheaper than the drink package. The only thing with this is they are limited to the same drinks all week and they might have to go back and forth to the cabin to refresh their drink. Of course, it can be carried around but that might be inconvenient. 

Also, if they drink wine, each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine on board. 

great that is a relief. I mean the 3 of us might have 1 drink all week if that, and the one who drinks well its his 21st Bday so i expect some drinking LOL.. so cards it is YAY i feel so relieved now

Glad to help.  My husband, sister and mom and pretty much light drinkers and I drink wine and alcohol, more when on vacation than when home. If you go to AARP, Allstate or even Kroger/Lowe’s , there are discounts for the gift cards or you can get fuel points for purchasing.  

You could purchase them in advance and gift them to him as a birthday surprise. He can load the cards at the kiosk or at guest services.  Since my family members may have 1 or 2  drinks, I always take their allotment of wine -lol.  None of them drink wine. 

You would have the gift cards loaded to his sign and sail.  Everyone in the cabin will have their own account, and all charges will go to that account.  You can specify if 2 people can share a credit card, example, if my husband and I are in 1 cabin , I can give him charging privileges tied to my credit card, gift cards or cash on account.  Or not. Another example is my son was in a different cabin, since he was underage, he had to be tied to an adults account for any charges, so I gave him charging privileges to my account. My niece-17, was connected to my sisters account and they added cash. 

He can have his own separate account, connected to his own card or cash or he can be linked with another cruiser, even in a different cabin.  All of this is setup at the online checkin or can be done once you get ready to board. 

pretty typical situation you're in OP, Comes up a lot. Even though per drink prices are a little high, but not always (depends where you're from) it's more the amount of drinks that gets you. Seems like if you have any more than 2 adults and it's any more than a 5 night cruise then paying per drink is often the better way to go. I guess I didn't do the math, but it sure seems that way.

anyway, have fun!! 

edit: so what's cheers now, like $55/day?   So for 2 adults that's like 550 for 5 nights....divide that by lets say...8 some drinks are more or less...that's upwards of 65 drinks, or about 13/day which most people don't hit. So technically in this case cheers is better though you're "not supposed to share"

unless he/she at 21 is an experienced drinker already, they'd probably have a tough time keeping down 13/day. 

but really, don 't focus on all of that, you'll ruin the fun ...lol. Just go and enjoy yourselves :P

Edited by splash_in_the_water

Bar cash does not save you any money- it is dollar for dollar but you can buy AARP gift cards for a 10% saving. Have fun!

8 hours ago, mom2myrugrat said:

My husband and I and my mom are diabetics so we can't drink alcohol so wondering what i should do

I was wondering who told you this.  I have been a type I Diabetic for over 25 years and no one ever told me I could not drink alcohol.  In fact I have found that a couple glasses of DRY wine actually helps to moderate BG with a higher carb meal.  Beer requires a bolus, depending on the ABV and final gravity, but can easily be accommodated.  If your Doctor told you you can't drink alcohol due to diabetes, I would find another Doctor.

As to the beverage package when only one person in the cabin chooses to drink alcohol, I just pay per drink as I get them.  If you want to get the Bar Cash, you can, but it is my understanding that any funds not spent on beverages will not be refunded, i.e. "use it or lose it." I have found that drink prices are pretty much the same as if you went out to your local watering hole so see no reason to do separate funding for them.  

On 12/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, splash_in_the_water said:

edit: so what's cheers now, like $55/day?   So for 2 adults that's like 550 for 5 nights....divide that by lets say...8 some drinks are more or less...that's upwards of 65 drinks, or about 13/day which most people don't hit. So technically in this case cheers is better though you're "not supposed to share"

Yeas, in general Cheers! doesn't work for even a couple where one doesn't drink, unless the non-alcohol-drinking person likes to drink, say, 5 or 6 fancy coffees, vitamin waters/Powerade, or similar upcharge non-alcoholic drinks.

Then the break-even point for the alcohol-drinker is closer to 8 or 9 drinks per day, or even lower if they like top-shelf liquor in their martinis or scotch, etc.

But for the OP, indeed, drinking a la carte for the one person, and everyone either carries on some soda or just buys the bottom bubbles package, makes sense.