Jump to content
jabcruiser

Koningsdam: Differences of note

Recommended Posts

You can see from my profile that although I have been a member for many years, I am an infrequent poster. In fact all of my previous posts have been on Roll Calls or Ports of Call forums.

Nor am I a HAL cheerleader. We cruise HAL because we prefer their product, however flawed, and like many other longer term HAL cruisers we lament some of the changes. 

Having said that, our November 21 cruise is the first in many years on which we added extra tips to the cabin and dining room staff. Our experience was that we were back to the "old" days of really personalized service. We were on deck 7, way down the hall from the Neptune area, so they were not servicing those cabins as well. I have heard over the years that the staff for those cabins are all the top notch people, maybe that goes for everyone serving on that deck😀

All 7 other people at our fixed dining table also agreed that we had had terrific service from our 2 dining stewards and the sommelier.

This is not to take away from those who had a less than positive experience, but to aaure others that it is very possible to have a great experience in this area on the Koningsdam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, Crew News said:

 

Using the face of a clock as a reference, I would say your knees would be between the 10:00 and 11:00 position.  I will have a photo sometime today to post here.

:classic_ohmy: … guess it's the same on the Nieuw Amsterdam then … a shame as would have love to tried the new HA ships …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MARLEY225 said:

Thanks for all the comments about the Koningsdam.  I am a four-star mariner, but shortly I will be doing my first cruise on this ship. I have always steered clear of it because of the extra amount of passengers.  I like the 1,900 to 2,000 range.  I have two questions - (1) Is there a welcome 3-4-5 star mariner cocktail party the first day or any day? (2) I received today a notice of embarkment times done by deck level which start at 1 pm.  Four and five start mariners can do anytime between 1 PM and 4 PM.  I usually arrive at 10:30 and they let you on at 11:30 or noon.  Is this procedure of 1 PM embarkment start time normal for this  ship?  Thanks in advance for replies!

 

We were on the K last winter. There was a mariner reception one evening by the midship pool. Very low key, and not a lot of people there. Not like the embarkation day scrum in the Crows Nest on other ships. Just the captain and CD. We were busy chatting with another couple, so we didn't see when the officers left. They didn't appear to mingle at all, just did a receiving line. Don't remember what the drink options were. 

 

I went back and looked at my journal. We arrived at the port around 11:00, and got through everything quickly because my husband needed wheelchair assistance. That let us bypass the lines for security and check-in. They called Neptune Suites and Wheelchairs first, then 4 and 5 stars right after that. We were on the ship before noon. I would guess that standing in the lines would have added 30-45 minutes to the procedure. A lot of people had already checked in and were in the waiting area, which was very crowded. They let wheelchair, Neptune, and 4-5 stars go upstairs to sit in a different area to wait to be called to board.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, taranch said:

You can see from my profile that although I have been a member for many years, I am an infrequent poster. In fact all of my previous posts have been on Roll Calls or Ports of Call forums.

Nor am I a HAL cheerleader. We cruise HAL because we prefer their product, however flawed, and like many other longer term HAL cruisers we lament some of the changes. 

Having said that, our November 21 cruise is the first in many years on which we added extra tips to the cabin and dining room staff. Our experience was that we were back to the "old" days of really personalized service. We were on deck 7, way down the hall from the Neptune area, so they were not servicing those cabins as well. I have heard over the years that the staff for those cabins are all the top notch people, maybe that goes for everyone serving on that deck😀

All 7 other people at our fixed dining table also agreed that we had had terrific service from our 2 dining stewards and the sommelier.

This is not to take away from those who had a less than positive experience, but to aaure others that it is very possible to have a great experience in this area on the Koningsdam.

 

I've seen the comment that the corner afts get less experienced stewards, and can have service below the level of the Neptunes closer to the lounge. I've been in corner afts on the Vistas and had great stewards. The corner aft Neptune on K (deck 7, maybe the same one you had) had the worst stewards I've had on HAL. Luck of the draw, I guess. But no more corner afts for me on the K. I'm going back on her again, but not in the back. Not because of the stewards--she shimmies and slams the water, even in good sea conditions. Lots of bumps back there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FM said:

:classic_ohmy: … guess it's the same on the Nieuw Amsterdam then … a shame as would have love to tried the new HA ships …

 

It is not the same for the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I discovered that I do not have a photo of the Konigsdam but here is one of the NA showing lots of knee room:

 

image.png.15ff3bac78393e1b16e8eb0b5ff8399e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, taranch said:

You can see from my profile that although I have been a member for many years, I am an infrequent poster. In fact all of my previous posts have been on Roll Calls or Ports of Call forums.

Nor am I a HAL cheerleader. We cruise HAL because we prefer their product, however flawed, and like many other longer term HAL cruisers we lament some of the changes. 

Having said that, our November 21 cruise is the first in many years on which we added extra tips to the cabin and dining room staff. Our experience was that we were back to the "old" days of really personalized service. We were on deck 7, way down the hall from the Neptune area, so they were not servicing those cabins as well. I have heard over the years that the staff for those cabins are all the top notch people, maybe that goes for everyone serving on that deck😀

All 7 other people at our fixed dining table also agreed that we had had terrific service from our 2 dining stewards and the sommelier.

This is not to take away from those who had a less than positive experience, but to aaure others that it is very possible to have a great experience in this area on the Koningsdam.

 

I was in an aft stateroom, 7195, on the post-drydock Konigsdam and found my Room Stewards one of the best teams in my HAL expeirience.  The first day was a bit rocky with the ship coming out of drydock but after I expressed my wishes/needs, all was great.  They not only covered my Vista Suite but at least one of the aft Neptune Suites.

 

This was only the fifth cruise of 28 that I have not been in an aft-corner Neptune Suite on HAL and with only one exception, found the Room Stewards very good in every case.  It must be noted thaat the Room Stewards change areas of responsibility quite often.  One of my two Room Stewards on my last cruise cruise had been in eevery category of stateroom that HAL offers.

Edited by Crew News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taranch said:

We were in a mid ship SS, which we loved by the way!

Ah, when you said down the hall from the Neptune Lounge, I figured you were in one of the distant Neptune Suites. You probably had a much better shower in your SS. The corner aft had a shower smaller than a phone booth! But I don't think the toilet position was a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, regarding the Signature shower on the K, not that much bigger than the old Neptune suite shower, which was a big surprise and disappointment. We were in a Vista on our last K cruise, with that fantastic large shower. Signature had a tub, which we don't use, with a handheld shower head. Wasted space for us.

I understand that the tub has been replaced with the large shower on the Nieuw Statendam, which we would have much preferred (I know that folks who booked a Signature expecting the tub were pretty upset, rightly so,  when they discovered the replacement...just saying for us that wold have been much preferred)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Marley has asked, looking for recent experience of regular folk (3 Star, Veranda)

with the late embarkation “request”.

 I have no problem cooperating but don’t want to be the only one coming late if most are still going aboard early.

Is the MDR embarkation lunch still offered?

That answer will be revealing IMO of just how much compliance they are really anticipating.

Just looking for actual experiences, not to provoke arguments or sermons.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 5:25 AM, Moriah said:

Did you miss the wider wrap-around walking deck? Is that still on deck 3? Others have commented that it is very narrow and doesn't have the same feel as the outside deck 3 space on the Vistas. Wondering if you noticed that.  Are many out for exercise in the early morning?

We missed it very much. We  enjoy the deck chairs on the Promenade deck, reading and chatting with others. We did not sit too long at the pool on the Koningsdam.  The seating above the pool area does not get a breeze as there are partitions that stop the breeze. We were on the pre-dry dock cruise and now know NEVER to book that time period again.  We had an 'okay' cruise, but won't take the Koningsdam again.  We're booked on the Zuiderdam later this year.  Love that ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband will be disappointed with Deck 3 being narrow and without lounge chairs. This is where he spends his days, relaxing and looking at the ocean through the rails. We will have to find an alternative location on our cruise in March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, barb-ottawa said:

My husband will be disappointed with Deck 3 being narrow and without lounge chairs. This is where he spends his days, relaxing and looking at the ocean through the rails. We will have to find an alternative location on our cruise in March. 

We love the shady Deck 3.  We did not find any other place that has shade and a breeze.  At the pool, there are shady spots, but no breeze.  We're back to the Zuiderdam this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Like Marley has asked, looking for recent experience of regular folk (3 Star, Veranda)

with the late embarkation “request”.

 I have no problem cooperating but don’t want to be the only one coming late if most are still going aboard early.

Is the MDR embarkation lunch still offered?

That answer will be revealing IMO of just how much compliance they are really anticipating.

Just looking for actual experiences, not to provoke arguments or sermons.

Thanks.

 

The embarkation lunch was offered last year, but as always it was a secret. I don't know why they offer it if they're going to make it difficult to find out about it and get on the ship in time before they stop taking orders. For years, before cabins were ready, staff herded everyone into the elevators up to the Lido, and when asked would say the MDR was closed. Even when we knew about the lunch, it was difficult to get out of the herd and go to the MDR.

 

On K last winter, the CD kept making announcements that the Lido Market was open for lunch, but no mention of the MDR, even when it had been open for only 15 minutes, well before "last orders."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question for those who have been on the Koningsdam lately.  Is the casino smoke=free?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me: on the World Stage are the onboard dancers/singers still doing the same “routines” they have been doing for the past three years?

Been on the Koningsdam for over sixty days since 2016. Will book again March 2019 if the World Stage dancers are dancing to a new tune. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SashaTim said:

Can anyone tell me: on the World Stage are the onboard dancers/singers still doing the same “routines” they have been doing for the past three years?

Been on the Koningsdam for over sixty days since 2016. Will book again March 2019 if the World Stage dancers are dancing to a new tune. Thanks

We were on the Koningsdam at Thanksgiving time.  The 'routines' were ones we had seen on other ships in the last few years. I agree with you. I enjoy the theater, but am tired of seeing the same shows. I will say the staging is different, especially the the one about the musical instruments which may be called '1000 Steps'. I enjoyed the technical aspects very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually,

it seems that both Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam have a totally new Cast and 2 new shows created by a different company, focussing on dancing. 

No more singers.

So you will have different cast shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone has developed a fondness for "Singers in Concert," It's now on QM2. 

 

Is the show that focuses on dancing called "Apassionata"? That was on QM2 for 10 years. Maybe the two lines did a swap?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MARLEY225 said:

Another question for those who have been on the Koningsdam lately.  Is the casino smoke=free?

No. 2 nights only.

Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, Crew News said:

 

It is not the same for the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I discovered that I do not have a photo of the Konigsdam but here is one of the NA showing lots of knee room:

 

image.png.15ff3bac78393e1b16e8eb0b5ff8399e.png

Oops .. apologies … meant the Nieuw Statendam … which has the same configuration as the Koningsdam …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, FM said:

Oops .. apologies … meant the Nieuw Statendam … which has the same configuration as the Koningsdam …

Good to see it got fixed on NS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from the New Year's Eve cruise on Koningsdam.  It was our 15th cruise, but first on HAL.  Overall, we enjoyed the ship very much.  To answer a previous question, the casino was not smoke-free, although they did offer times when it was advertised as smoke-free.  We don't use the casino, but the few times we passed through, it wasn't too smoky, however, we never passed through later in the evening.  

 

I had read prior to the cruise that the pool in the back of the ship is "adults only."  This was not the case at all.  If it was adults only at some point, that is over.  There were no signs indicating "adults only," and the pools and hot tubs were always full of kids.  Most were well behaved, although one time we were there a dad was allowing his small children to DIVE into the HOT TUB.  Talk about a broken neck waiting to happen!  There was also the occasional game of Marco Polo, but for the most part, the children on this ship were among the best behaved we ever seen on a cruise.  One disappointment, however, was that we were seated next to a table of 6 children (middle school age and younger) at Pinnacle.  Their parents sat at separate tables.  When we arrived the kids had finished their entrees, so some were on devices while others where actually crawling on the floor and moving about from table to table.  They did sit back down when dessert came, but not what we expected at Pinnacle.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Win a 7-Night Romantic Danube Luxury River Cruise with AmaWaterways
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×