cruise kitty

MERGED: SERVER ERRORS ... error message "MySQL server has gone away"

Error 500 message several times within the last hour.  This is really getting old.:classic_angry:

Error 500 message several times today, also.  Isn't CC embarrassed ????  If not, I'm embarrassed for you, geesh!

23 minutes ago, mafig said:

Error 500 message several times within the last hour.  This is really getting old.:classic_angry:

Error 500 message several times today, also.  Isn't CC embarrassed ????  If not, I'm embarrassed for you, geesh!

Me too, yesterday and today.  Very frustrating.  Posting here or trying to find anything is WORK.

Roz

Ditto - Error 500 for last 3 or 4 days, off & on ... refresh "sometimes" work on reloading.  

Nothing wrong with us ... as end users.  Problems are with, IMHO, as many said & know/work in I.T. knew, is with the cloud server(s) & provider (AWS as in Amazon) ... dare I say it, unable to cache & handle "excessive" DBMS hits when traffic exceeded threshold.  It should not be an issue, in this day & age and sorry to say, routine maintenance or planned upgrade - is an unacceptable excuse if this was happening in our own IT Dept. 

But, this isn't mission critical so we will just have to deal with it.  More than embarassing, it is what it is.  #sigh 

Error 500 seems to be occurring more often today for me.  If they are working on it, they are going in the wrong direction.

I've just had an episode when trying to access a saved Activity Stream with an active auto log-in (when I needed it because I would have long been logged out automatically), and tried the apparent fix from last time I saw this: Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com and then navigate from there. The 500 errors stopped straight away.

And I've just fixed another episode in the same way.

So for anyone else who's suffering the problems, I recommend trying this.

And it may help the CC techies to identify what's wrong.

The blank white screen has been extremely annoying today, particularly when accessing the main Princess board, but my roll call, not really.  The only way to work around it is to clear cache and re-launch browser.  BTW, for me it does not matter if I use Firefox or Chrome.  I only have 10 more days til my next cruise and I will likely be done here.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

The blank white screen has been extremely annoying today, ....

Thanks you!  I was afraid it was just my iPad.   Sorry that you are having this problem, too. 

22 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I've just had an episode when trying to access a saved Activity Stream with an active auto log-in (when I needed it because I would have long been logged out automatically), and tried the apparent fix from last time I saw this: Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com and then navigate from there. The 500 errors stopped straight away.

And on getting a "MySQL server has gone away" error, I had to go back to www.cruisecritic.com and come back to the boards, but that then fixed that error straight away.

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

Cannot load http error 500 intermittently yesterday and more frequently today.

Yeah, it's been happening A LOT the last 3-4 days.

OK, my little bit of education today, I looked it up:

The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code that means something has gone wrong on the web site's server but the server could not be more specific on what the exact problem is.

Yeah, I'd say "something has gone wrong", 

Error 500 is alive and well.  It is nominally an improvement over the SQL error as it generally took hours before you could get back on with that one.  But the 500 one is a major annoyance.

It's very irritating for this to continue on as long as it has. If we were paying for CC I'm sure there would be a few software folks fired or  CC would be bankrupt. 

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Error 500 is alive and well.  It is nominally an improvement over the SQL error as it generally took hours before you could get back on with that one.  But the 500 one is a major annoyance.

Have you tried the fix that I've posted above?

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Have you tried the fix that I've posted above?

Yes, and I still got the error.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Yes, and I still got the error.

Interesting. It fixed a 500 for me earlier this morning.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Interesting. It fixed a 500 for me earlier this morning.

I used the link right out of your post!  So, is it fixed or a coincidence?

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

I used the link right out of your post!  So, is it fixed or a coincidence?

I have wondered about coincidence since I first tried it, but it has cleared the 500 errors so reliably since then that I think that mere coincidence is unlikely.

One thing I would suggest, though, is not to click from the link. Instead, go to the address bar and clear the URL back to that state, and then press enter. I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether it might make a difference, but I do know that servers handle clicked links differently from directly typed-in URLs. And it's been (in effect) a directly typed-in URL that's worked for me.

At least you guys are getting an error message.  I keep getting blank white screens.  

I have not been getting any error messages so far today.  No problems!  Fingers crossed!

I know this is not related - but some of you have experience with our log in issues as well.

Please see our update

7 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I know this is not related - but some of you have experience with our log in issues as well.

Please see our update

Everything seems to be working smoothly for me, from a bookmark or from an email!  Thanks, Jenn.  (I don't use Tapatalk any more - it is so easy to add photos now just using CC.:classic_smile:)

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

MySQL server has gone away

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.