Cruise Critic Community
maria2015

BYO Wine vs Wine package on Nieuw Statendam

Can any one give me advice on where to purchase wine upon boarding a HAL cruise aboard the Nieuw Statendam Sept 2020 from Amsterdam

I am contemplating buying wine  before we embark and paying the $18 corkage

Is there a good wine shop close to port?

Perhaps like Barcelona there is a wine shop after you have passed thru check in and security?

I am thinking this  might be more economical than the wine packages offered on HAL?

Would appreciate any input 

many thanks 

I hope someone will speak up re:Amsterdam wine. Just wanted to let you know you seem to have posted this 4 times here in the HAL forum.  I suggest you delete the other three.

You might wish to post this question on the Amsterdam Port page as there might be locals who could provide you with this information.

When we last sailed from Amsterdam, 18 months ago, there was a wine "shop" in the terminal downtown (some ships sail from a more industrial type area outside of the city).  The shop had about 6 different types of wine at low prices.  We bought 2 bottles.  It was okay.  If offered the same types again, I would not buy them.

We have brought on board wine several times. But n Amsterdam, there isn't really a close-by wine shop other than the one listed above. Not like Fort Lauderdale with access to total wine. Depending on your status, if you get the wine package at a 50% discount, the bottles work out to about $13-15 each, depending on which package you buy, so economics are about a wash. The quality of wine to many on this forum isn't great, and if forced to pay full price for the packages, way too much money. Don't know your itinerary, but there are likely wine shops in most European cities. Another source is the Amsterdam airport with wine available in many shops, but don't expect great values. Consider also the total cost. If you purchase a good bottle of wine, at say $20, then add the $18 corkage fee, you're spending about what the better wines on HAL cost. We have a couple of favorites from  the wine menu (not the packages) which will run $40 or so. Up to you what  you do, but harder to get the best value when leaving from Amsterdam. The port is essentially next to the train station, and you may find something in there that will meet your needs, also.

Thank you everyone great help

Sorry have no idea how to delete threads ...first time I have posted  a question ...kept coming back Error 

I guess it wasnt accurate lol

There is a decent basement level wine shop on Damrak St. in Amsterdam (near The Palace Square same side) which is a walk from the Central train station.  We stayed overnight in Amsterdam prior to our Konigsdam Iberian Adventure so I carried on 4 bottles bought at that store.  Sorry I cannot recall the name but I found it on yelp Amsterdam wine shops.  I also had good luck filling in with more bottles in duty free shops at the terminals and walking around in Spain.  I don't know what your itinerary is.   If you like nice wine that is not the generic stuff on the ship it is a good way to go.  It was really fun to enjoy those Duoro and Tempranillo wines picked up in the Duty Free shops.