Cruise Critic Community
Brenditaa

solo travelling on repositioning cruises

Hi my name is brenda and I am retired and would love to get some tips on solo repositioning cruises, I live in Ft Lauderdale and I love to travel the world but I am new to cruising.

2 minutes ago, Brenditaa said:

Hi my name is brenda and I am retired and would love to get some tips on solo repositioning cruises, I live in Ft Lauderdale and I love to travel the world but I am new to cruising.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There is a section for solo cruisers that will give you great info!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

Cruising is a great introduction to traveling solo; if you've traveled solo a lot before, you'll still enjoy it.  As the previous post said, there's a whole forum for solo passengers.   Transoceanic cruising is a lovely way to get from one continent to another, and a great opportunity for travel (on land) when you arrive. 

Hopefully you'll meet someone that would like to cruise with you and split the cost.  The downside of cruising solo is that you have to pay for two people in the room (double occupancy) even when you're the only one there.  

The upside of cruising solo is that you're from Florida, so you're likely to get lots of discounted "Florida resident" rates for many cruises!

I cruise solo and I'd suggest you just book a cruise, go for it with a positive attitude, and see how it works out. Take books (or iPad/kindle).

Some practical advice - do your arithmetic!

Look at the cost of airfare as well as the cruise - work out how you are going to deal with an expensive one way TA flight. I often use the miles I earn on other (round) trip flights to pay for the one way.

Research solo supplements. Main stream cruise lines (HAL, Princess, Celebrity etc.) mostly charge 100% solo supplement so the fare is very high. Then you must pay gratuities, drinks, and other expenses so the bottom line is even higher. You can sometimes get a lower supp for an inside cabin but not everyone can face a claustrophobic cabin with no natural daylight.

Luxury lines (Silversea and Crystal in particular) offer lower solo supps (25 - 50%) on many cruises, especially transatlantics, and are inclusive fares i.e. grats and drinks included, so altho' the fare initially seems a lot, at the end of the day you get better value for money. And with smaller ships there is more personalized service and solos are looked after very well.

PS I'm sure you understand a solo supplement but if not:

Fares quoted by cruise lines are 'per person, double occupancy" so if a fare is xx, a couple will pay xxxx for their cabin. If the solo supplement is 100%, a solo will also pay xxxx. If the solo supplement is 50%, the solo will pay xxx. There is very nearly always a solo supplement, you will exhaust yourself for no purpose trying to avoid it. 

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks for the good info I am looking at taking a repositioning cruise from Miami to Barcelona in April with Norwegian. I live in Ft Lauderdale so I don't need airfare. I have been travelling around the world for years but never used cruising  before to do it so it will be a new adventure for me to do it this way.

3 minutes ago, Brenditaa said:

Thanks for the good info I am looking at taking a repositioning cruise from Miami to Barcelona in April with Norwegian. I live in Ft Lauderdale so I don't need airfare. I have been travelling around the world for years but never used cruising  before to do it so it will be a new adventure for me to do it this way.

How you getting home from Barcelona?

And NCL is notorious for nickel and diming pax to death, but each to their own.

Edited by jollyjones

I will travel to Portugal to visit friends. So far Norwegian has the best deal on a 15 day trip and I just took a cruise with them and really enjoyed it.

Barcelona ... Portugal ... anywhere else in Europe ... doesn't matter but you're still going to need a one way Transatlantic plane ticket.

I use my miles so I dont worry about that. Plus I like to be open to travel when and where I want and not be tied to a time to return. I slow travel and enjoy the moment.

9 minutes ago, Brenditaa said:

I use my miles so I dont worry about that. Plus I like to be open to travel when and where I want and not be tied to a time to return. I slow travel and enjoy the moment.

Brenditaa, that is the best way to travel, enjoy the moment.  I have done two TA's as a solo and have enjoyed both of them.  I know that some people do not like all the sea days, but I just like to sit and read and relax so I enjoyed them just as much if not more than the port days.  To each their own, as they say.  I hope you enjoy your trip and have a great time.  As far as NCL nickeling and diming you, I have heard that multiple times, and it is usually from someone who just doesn't like NCL.  I have sailed on all the mass market lines and don't see much difference in any of them that way, and I have sailed on NCL quite a few times.  I didn't find them to be any different than Celebrity, RCI, HAL, Princess, or Carnival on how they treat their guests.  Happy Sailing.

I love cruising solo and have been doing it since 2003.  I agree with the other folks who have recommended the solo cruise forum on here.  Lots of good information over there.

As for tips on the cruise? Once you decide to pick a cruise line, I would suggest posting on that forum as well and you can get replies from folks who sail with them...…..have fun researching, that can be a fun part of the process too.:classic_smile:

Transoceanic cruises are my favourite, and I loved Portugal when I was there a few years ago (an 18 day road trip).  Enjoy!  I started with a 10 day transatlantic, then decided I wanted more sea days.....now I search for transpacifics with 10-20 days at sea, and as few port stops as possible. 

NCL is far and away the most "solo-friendly" cruise line.   First of all, most of their newer ships offer solo cabins, that include a key card accessed, lounge with 24 hour, free espresso machine and snacks.

Secondly, NCL often offers a last minute rate, for various cabin categories, with no single supplement, and sometimes a rock-bottom, no frills included, 'sail away' rate.

And most of all, NCL has a  solo traveler's get together each evening, at a lounge from about 5:30 until 6:00 or so, (it will be listed in the Freestyle Daily), if in the Studio Lounge, they will block the door open so that all solo's on the ship can attend.

This event is hosted by a member of the cruise activities staff, who will make introduction's, conduct party games, post sign up sheets for sports activities, specialty dinner's, shore excursion's, show's, etc.

At the end of the social hour, they will often invite all that have no other plans, to join the group for dinner in one of the main dining rooms, where they will have a couple of large tables reserved.

I have met some great friends at these, especially on my last cruise, which happened to be a repositioning cruise on the Breakaway from New York to New Orleans.

I highly recommend it.....:classic_smile:

41 minutes ago, bob brown said:

NCL is far and away the most "solo-friendly" cruise line.   First of all, most of their newer ships offer solo cabins, that include a key card accessed, lounge with 24 hour, free espresso machine and snacks.

Whether or not that's "solo-friendly" depends on what you want as a solo, and what you consider "solo-friendly".  To me, those things aren't solo-friendly at all -- the smallest cabins, without any natural light, a lounge that I have no interest in, and a social director for gatherings based solely on the fact that I'm traveling solo.  

To me, a solo-friendly cruise line treats solo passengers the same way they treat all their other passengers, without prejudice, and offers reasonable singles supplements on virtually every voyage they cruise, not just on last minute trips where they couldn't get enough of their preferred customers (pairs).  

I'm not saying NCL isn't a good option for some solo passengers, who are looking for last minute deals and looking for help in arranging company for events -- just that it's not every solo traveler's definition of what "solo-friendly" is.   I actually think that trying to make the worst real estate on the ship seem "special" for solos is kind of an insult, like tossing scraps their way and telling them it's prime rib, and it's OK because they'll throw in dessert too.  (Yes, I know I'm in the minority on that feeling.)

Edited by calliopecruiser

2 hours ago, Brenditaa said:

Thanks for your comment which TA cruises did you take?? 

Both of my TA's were west to east in the fall.  The first one left out of Southhampton, and had stops in Spain, Portugal, Madeira Island, the canary islands, and then to Miami, on RCI's Navigator of the Seas.  The second was on the HAL Rotterdam and left out of Rome, with stops in Corsica, Barcelona, Cartagena, Malaga, Tangiers, Morocco, Madeira Island again, and then on to Fort Lauderdale.  Both were very enjoyable.  I have not done the east to west route, as spring is usually a busy time in the bank and it is hard for me to get away then for that long of a trip.

39 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Both of my TA's were west to east in the fall.  The first one left out of Southhampton, and had stops in Spain, Portugal, Madeira Island, the canary islands, and then to Miami, on RCI's Navigator of the Seas.  The second was on the HAL Rotterdam and left out of Rome, with stops in Corsica, Barcelona, Cartagena, Malaga, Tangiers, Morocco, Madeira Island again, and then on to Fort Lauderdale.  Both were very enjoyable.  I have not done the east to west route, as spring is usually a busy time in the bank and it is hard for me to get away then for that long of a trip.

Europe to the US is east to west and US to Europe is west to east.

Wow sounds great. Has anyone taken the Norwegian Star repositioning from Miami to Barcelona in April???

I am thinking of booki g it but would love to hear from anyone that has done this trip.

One thing to consider, albeit a minor one...when doing a trans-oceanic cruise,  if you cruise eastward, you have several 23 hour long days, but if you cruise westward, you have several 25 hour days.   If you pack a lot of activities into your day, it can make a difference....:classic_wink:

Sorry I meant the norwegian epic not star. If anyone has taken this repositioning cruise from Miami to Barcelona please let me know.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Europe to the US is east to west and US to Europe is west to east.

Got me on that one, wasn't thinking right this morning.  Unless you are leaving Western Europe to Eastern US, but I don't think I will try that one as you are definitely sailing west eventually.

Was on a HAL TATL repo a few years ago and a solo traveller told me that the single supplement for outdoor and lesser (i.e., inside) categories is (or was) only 50%.

8 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

Was on a HAL TATL repo a few years ago and a solo traveller told me that the single supplement for outdoor and lesser (i.e., inside) categories is (or was) only 50%.

It used to be that Inside and Oceanview cabins could be had at a lower solo supplement (65% on Princess, similar on HAL), but then they got greedy and solo supps went up to 100%. (Lower supps can still be found but they're much rarer.)

That's when I changed to Silversea with it's lower solo supps - my last Princess cruise, when grats and a very modest drinks bill were counted in, cost more per diem than some of my Silversea cruises. And Silversea is a so much better product than Princess ... or the other mainstreams (I've sailed them all).

And as for NCL - I totally agree with calliopecruiser's opinion (above). Plus when you price the solo cabins they aren't as much of a bargain as they try and tell you.

PS Last minute deals are of very limited use to cruisers who would have to pay high last minute airfares, even if the flights weren't full.

PPS Consider carefully the impact of five or six 23 hour days - it is noticeable and can be wearing. That's why I usually sail east to west - all those 25 hour days still disrupt the body clock but you can rest more if you need to. I usually do two, sometimes three, Transatlantics a year so I do know!

Edited by jollyjones