treated badly by royal caribbean

willow1uk

20 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I will back your thread and would be interested to hear how you get on.

My son is confined to a wheelchair and due to, one of, his medical conditions has to bring his own liquid food. Yet RCCL still insist on charging him full price for any cabin we book.   

And I as a solo pay full fare for someone that isn't even there.  If I want to cruise, it is something I have to accept.  

Interesting that Teacher42, who in the other thread was merely making an observation about the rules of RC bookings, and was not actually saying they wanted compensation or special treatment, was jumped on by many people who were assuming that was the basis of the post.

In this thread, the OP believes they are entitled to more than they received and nobody with an IQ larger than their shoe size agrees with them. Now Teacher 42 has joined in, yet this is a completely different situation.

We then get a couple of people posting tongue in cheek remarks about seeking compensation themselves, and other people jump on the bandwagon and agree with them.

"I'm rethinking my earlier post. Maybe RCCL is treating my mother, who is in a wheelchair, badly because they charged her full price for her balcony cabin on our upcoming Adventure cruise. 

Perhaps I should start a new thread demanding that Royal give her a balcony for the price of a guarantee inside cabin, just because she is in a wheelchair. And if they don't comply, claim they are cruel and inhumane, maybe even claim age discrimination."

One even made up stuff that the OP never actually said "Also they kept the port charges", and complete fabrications "Also other lines were sailing that route during that time frame so the excuse "weather" will not hold up in court".

The OP never mentioned port charges being kept by RC, so where did that come from, and other vessels were definitely rerouted during the same period. Read before posting is usually a good rule to follow.

Yet another thinks they are some kind of lawyer, and made up another ridiculous statement "The ship was believed by some to be unseaworthy due to a faulty stabiliser, backed up by press reports. I think given those facts, even if later proved to be wrong could influence a higher compensation payment."

What a crock.... if that were the case, I could look at any ship, aircraft, train or other form of transport and say "I believe this is unseaworthy/unroadworthy/etc and get myself a higher compensation payout. The ship was declared safe to sail, therefore what the passengers believe is completely irrelevant.

To round this out, we have now heard from someone who actually took the cruise in question and did not regret doing so, which is what our OP should have done in the first place. Again, our OP has yet to explain WHY they chose to take the refund for the cruise instead of having an enjoyable holiday and not losing 1500 pounds.

Unless the OP comes back and clarifies their reasoning, this thread is fast becoming a complete waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, willow1uk said:

hi guys

we were looking forward to our cruise from southampton to usa and down to miami on 5th november, then on 3rd november RC changed the itinerary to europe and on to miami. we booked almost 1 year before and were devastated. we were offered compensation if did the cruise but nothing but our money back if we cancelled. it took RC 6 weeks to send us a cheque with no compensation. our insurers wouldnt help and we had paid for hotel in miami, flights,hotel in southampton and parking - all lost!!!!! RC kept apologising but dont compensate at all. we had over £1500 of extras lost. they were no help. we ever regretted booking them and although cruised with them before wont do it again. they have a customer charter but broke every 1. we emailed a complaint with no reply and to get my money back was on the phone to miami many times, they find it hard to phone you!!!

After all I'm reading, I want to know: Why did you have to cancel?

The cruise still started in Southampton and arrived in Miami on the same dates !

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear Blo,  We naive come on these boards for guidance , not to be judged by a group of pompous ( you know whats). Thank you for some kind words. Yes, you all may be right in your assumptions, we can not all be 'mensa' members like the many posters. Many of you have no courtesy or sympathy for the plights of your fellow travelers. Many of you sit in judgement on these boards. Whenever someone says " I have no problem with 'this or that'. " That is exactly what they have a problem with, 'this or that.' We are only bringing our missteps to the travel boards attention to educate those like us, and perhaps to get future guidance, that will help us all.

Hi Teacher42,  when did using common sense make people "'mensa' members"? 

There are plenty of stories in the press and on other social media sites that warn people about not taking all possible precautions to ensure they are not out of pocket if their holiday is cancelled for any reason.  

The OP learnt an expensive lesson by not heeding those warnings.

I use my common sense and heed those same warnings, I book refundable extras or take out extensive insurance. That does not make me a  "'mensa' member".     

On 12/31/2018 at 5:48 PM, willow1uk said:

hello there, its not a case of illness is it, i think you have very little understanding of poeple and dont quote your problems please. this was a special trip and the insurers didnt cover change of itinerary at lkast minute. we travelled with cunard in storms last year with no change. some empathy from you!!!

Youre confusing empathy with sympathy.

2 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Hi Teacher42,  when did using common sense make people "'mensa' members"? 

The OP learnt an expensive lesson by not heeding those warnings.

I use my common sense and heed those same warnings, I book refundable extras or take out extensive insurance. 

I heard this one not that long ago.  “Common sense isn’t common anymore”.

It is easy to imagine in this post of Willow that RCCL is a Scrooge, Scrooges's paid lawyers are the minions on this board that do not give up attacking the defenseless and defending Scrooge's terms and conditions. Willow is Bob Cratchit and their disabled brother is Tiny Tim.

What Scrooge 'ought' to do is offer Willow  a voucher for a free future cruise, to compensate this family for the uninsured loses they incurred, which they obviously could not afford, hence this post on these boards.

The ghosts of past, present, and future 'ought' to persuade Scrooge to acquiesce in this act of good-will. These ghosts are the 5000+ viewers of this thread. They 'ought' to all log-in and vote 'Yea' for Willow. 5000+  entries could certainly have an impact on RCCL.

Alas, this misanthrope says 'nay', the viewers will not get involved. Prove this misanthrope wrong!

48 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

It is easy to imagine in this post of Willow that RCCL is a Scrooge, Scrooges's paid lawyers are the minions on this board that do not give up attacking the defenseless and defending Scrooge's terms and conditions. Willow is Bob Cratchit and their disabled brother is Tiny Tim.

What Scrooge 'ought' to do is offer Willow  a voucher for a free future cruise, to compensate this family for the uninsured loses they incurred, which they obviously could not afford, hence this post on these boards.

The ghosts of past, present, and future 'ought' to persuade Scrooge to acquiesce in this act of good-will. These ghosts are the 5000+ viewers of this thread. They 'ought' to all log-in and vote 'Yea' for Willow. 5000+  entries could certainly have an impact on RCCL.

Alas, this misanthrope says 'nay', the viewers will not get involved. Prove this misanthrope wrong!

Ok...I'm confused... but then again I"m not a mensa member..... what are you talking about?  Are you suggesting that because willow chose to not insure, and chose not to cruise, and was given a full refund for the cruise portion, the portion they purchased through Royal Caribbean, and because they made non refundable air and hotel reservations on their own, that the cruise line is responsible for their choice to not cruise?  Why wouldn't it be the responsibility of the hotel and airline to refund the loss since they also chose not to use the hotel or the airlines?  Can you please explain to this non-mensa member, in plain language,  your rationale for this? 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

I’m sure those who pay for travel insurance would disagree.  I know the share holders would disagree.  I’m not a share holder but I pay for insurance.  Why should I/we have to have for the OP’s decision, as well as those who continue not to pay for it.

Your “Scrooge”, gave them their money back.  They are out what they booked on their own.  If you want to lobby the misanthrope; send them after the hotel, the airline, their credit card company or anyone else who kept their money because the OP booked non-refundable without the correct insurance.  It’s not RC fault and it’s not our job.

I love the movie but I believe in reality.  One is responsible for their own decisions.  In this case the OP knew exactly what they were getting into when they cancelled their cruise.  As a family they should have decided how they were going to split up the lost non-cruise funds before they decided to take the full cruise refund.

Regretfully sometimes the hardest lesson is when you lose something, in this case it’s money. The OP and their family will never forget this life lesson.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't even know if travel insurance would help in this case. The cruise wasn't canceled. The OP chose to cancel.  They gave them a full refund which is more than they were entitled to. Expecting RCCL to reimburse them for other expenses  is insane. Did the OP really think RCCL would pay for their airfare and hotel even though the cruise still went on?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

I had to look up the definition of misanthrope. Wouldn't that make also make you a Scrooge? For someone that hates humanity, you seem to spend a lot of time on crowded cruise ship.

I have to say, I kind of enjoy your creative writing style. I gives me a good chuckle. I almost look forward to your next post. Alas, I believe you are just toying with people now to see what kind of reaction you can provoke. Balsam12 is correct in that this thread has outlived its usefulness.

See you on the next complaint thread! 

P.S. - If you feel so badly for Willow, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you sent a nice donation. It would be the Post-Christmas Scrooge-thing to do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Calm down Dickens! 😂

• Haha 1

I, personally, do not expect novice cruisers or travellers, to foresee all situations.  I can fully empathize that OP might have never thought about the possibility that ports could be changed, until it happened.  And that, when it did happen, OP might have been disapointed and frustrated with the situation as a whole and sad to miss out on visiting NYC.  Maybe posting a vent of being annoyed at the weather and letting new cruisers who may not have thought of it know that ports can and are missed on cruises, would be met with lots of sympathetic and supportive replys.

However, OP, chose to make a frustrating situation far worse by cancelling the cruise even though they had prepaid hotels and parking and booked flights which would not be reimbursed, and even though it was too late to book another holiday in the time frame and now posts about being treated badly--in spite of having had two months to reflect on the situation, research how ships deal with large storms at sea, etc.  So, no, I do not have empathy for the OP's in their seeking compensation well above and beyond anything they are due and in their insistence that they were treated badly.

Rationality is not a lack of empathy.  And being treated fairly does not always mean getting whatever you want.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One update to a few of you responding, the way I read it the OP had insurance but it would not cover their non refundable items since THEY cancelled their cruise.  

Do I feel sorry for the OP, absolutely as I believe most others do.  However, they made a rash decision to cancel the cruise when ports were changed.  They didn't care that the change was for their safety, only that they were not getting what they wanted.  Bottom line it was an expensive unfortunate lesson.  Cruising is not your standard land vacation but many still think it is.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

So you think RCI is responsible for the airfare and hotel Willow didn't use?  RCI only changed the intervening ports, not the start or end, so again, why did Willow decide to cancel the cruise?  Before (presumably) he made the decision to cancel the cruise, shouldn't he have thought about the non-refundable money he sent to the airlines and hotels?  

On 1/3/2019 at 6:59 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Exactly! Burden of proof would be with RCI that they were NOT effected by that! Also other lines were sailing that route during that time frame so the excuse "weather" will not hold up in court - also they changed DAYS before departure as a precaution - a good lawyer will argue the other lines were fine... and will win as RCI will not be able to proof otherwise! 🙄

Also they kept the port charges.... that will finally break their neck as judges will see that as evil conduct! 😈

I know the cheerleaders do not like these facts! 😁

Actually there were other diversions of multiple cruise lines during this time frame.  There was very unusual hurricane level storm activity, including a major one moving north along the US, impacting any cruises in the north east section of the US. Princess, and Celebrity also had cruises diverted south during that same week.

Even under UK law, which is where the OP is located, if there is a major change in a cruise, all the cruise line must do is to offer full refund of the money paid to them.  They did offer, the customer accepted, end of obligations by the cruise line under UK law.

The cruise line has NO responsibility for any money paid by the passenger to other entities, only those paid to the cruise line.

I very much doubt what you are claiming as facts.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

No scrooge in this case.  The cruise line had to change the route due to weather conditions.  Under UK law a major change in route, know prior to departure, requires the cruise line to offer to the passenger the option to cancel for full refund.  The cruise line did offer, the customer accepted.  At that time all obligations of the cruise line ended.  End of story.

As far as the other items go, they are decisions made by the customer where all bookings and transactions were handled outside of the cruise line and as a result the cruise line has absolutely no obligation or responsibility , legal or moral.

The loss of the customer was totally based upon their decision to cancel the cruise and receive a refund from the cruise line.  In most cases this also means that the loss would not be covered by travel insurance.  Even if they were covered, they would have to be covered by cancel for any reason insurance to have any chance of collecting on the other, self inflicted, losses.

• Like 1

Sadly, I have to announce that the firm of Scrooge & Marley, Ltd. has been forced to close. Assets of said firm will be available at a public auction held on the county courthouse steps this coming Wednesday. When asked for details, Mr Scrooge said; "Those courtesy refunds really overwhelmed our revenue; I hope you enjoy your next Carnival cruise."

• Like 2

Dear HBE,   Were we married in a past life? You are correct in all your assumptions. Firstly, I am  a misanthrope and not 'Daddy Warbucks'. Second, as you can see from the posts, I am firmly entrenched in my misanthropic views about my non- fellowman. We always book a suite with a large balcony , table for two, never eat buffet ( we our germaphobes as well), and keep to ourselves. We love this ship within a ship concept. It limits our contact with our non-fellowman. If we desire we could have the best friends money can buy, but alas they are too hard to find in 'this' world.

P.S. I am not a teacher, though I do aspire to that lofty position.

58 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear HBE,   Were we married in a past life? You are correct in all your assumptions. Firstly, I am  a misanthrope and not 'Daddy Warbucks'. Second, as you can see from the posts, I am firmly entrenched in my misanthropic views about my non- fellowman. We always book a suite with a large balcony , table for two, never eat buffet ( we our germaphobes as well), and keep to ourselves. We love this ship within a ship concept. It limits our contact with our non-fellowman. If we desire we could have the best friends money can buy, but alas they are too hard to find in 'this' world.

P.S. I am not a teacher, though I do aspire to that lofty position.

Troy “are” this you.  🤡:classic_laugh:😈

jc

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I had to look up the definition of misanthrope. Wouldn't that make also make you a Scrooge? For someone that hates humanity, you seem to spend a lot of time on crowded cruise ship.

I have to say, I kind of enjoy your creative writing style. I gives me a good chuckle. I almost look forward to your next post. Alas, I believe you are just toying with people now to see what kind of reaction you can provoke. Balsam12 is correct in that this thread has outlived its usefulness.

See you on the next complaint thread! 

P.S. - If you feel so badly for Willow, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you sent a nice donation. It would be the Post-Christmas Scrooge-thing to do.

If you like his writing, go read his review of a recent cruise.  His wife, who was a teacher for 42 years, is referred to as Mrs Astor through the whole review.

• Thanks 1