Cruise Critic Community
Gaybo

CM&V Premium Beverage Package...

My husband and I are booked on the new Vasco da Gama ship,  Singapore to Tilbury.... 23rd April - 6 June, 2019

This will be our first cruise on CM&V.

Reading through the paperwork, we are looking at the 'Additions Packages'...

Can anyone who has cruised with CM&S tell me if they are worth the money?

We are looking at the 'CMV Premium' package... $41 pppd

Does anyone know what types of beer CM &V carry onboard and roughly their prices?

Does CM&V have Happy Hours?

Cheers Gaybo

Hi Gaybo. Look at this link  https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/on-board-experience/cmv-additions-packages  .  We were on a cruise last summer and had the premium package. Because every seventh day is free it was good value. We also booked and paid with a debitcard before boarding which saves you 3 pound sterling per day per person. The pricelist for the drinks is underneath on the page of the link . Enjoy the cruise  greetings Henk

CMV don't have happy hour, in all fairness their drinks are well priced, as you can see from marylizcat's link. You will still have to pay 50% on the price of beer and coffee on the premium package, so you need to do the math. I am assuming that they will do the drinks cards? this was 39.99 for 14 beers, 29.99 for 10 cocktails and 20 coffee's/teas for 24.99 in Dec on Marco Polo. You need to bear in mind that you have a lot of days at sea, if it is rough will you want to drink? They do have a fair selection of beers, usually the Bitberger is the only draught lager with the rest in bottles/cans. I found the Bitberger a little harsh so tended to stick to the German wheat beer (Franziskaner) and Guinness. Enjoy your cruise.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:37 AM, boradruma said:

Hi Gaybo. Look at this link  https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/on-board-experience/cmv-additions-packages .  We were on a cruise last summer and had the premium package. Because every seventh day is free it was good value. We also booked and paid with a debitcard before boarding which saves you 3 pound sterling per day per person. The pricelist for the drinks is underneath on the page of the link . Enjoy the cruise  greetings Henk

Thank you so much for your reply... I think it will be worth our while to take up the package... We will sign up now with our credit card... Can I also ask you if there are any formal nights on board or is there a need for my husband to bring along a dress suit for dinner or will a sports jacket and nice trousers suffice?

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

CMV don't have happy hour, in all fairness their drinks are well priced, as you can see from marylizcat's link. You will still have to pay 50% on the price of beer and coffee on the premium package, so you need to do the math. I am assuming that they will do the drinks cards? this was 39.99 for 14 beers, 29.99 for 10 cocktails and 20 coffee's/teas for 24.99 in Dec on Marco Polo. You need to bear in mind that you have a lot of days at sea, if it is rough will you want to drink? They do have a fair selection of beers, usually the Bitberger is the only draught lager with the rest in bottles/cans. I found the Bitberger a little harsh so tended to stick to the German wheat beer (Franziskaner) and Guinness. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much for your reply... We are FF with Princess and HAL and are used to their Happy Hours... Buy one drink and get the 2nd one for $1- extra... which always works well for us... I will look at the pros and cons now... thanks for your advise!

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

On 1/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, marylizcat said:

Here is the link to the bar menu with prices https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/images/CMV_2018_BAR_MENU-P1_WHITE2.pdf You really need to do the sums yourself and calculate how much you would spend per day to decide whether or not it is worth it. Every person will have a different consumption.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply marylizcat... I will try to estimate our daily drinks :-))

7 hours ago, Gaybo said:

Thank you so much for your reply... I think it will be worth our while to take up the package... We will sign up now with our credit card... Can I also ask you if there are any formal nights on board or is there a need for my husband to bring along a dress suit for dinner or will a sports jacket and nice trousers suffice?

CMV do have traditional formal nights. They should tell you how many. When sailing ex-UK, there are many dinner suits. With Australians on board, it is possible formal night will be less formal. However I should definitely take a tie anyway.

Thanks very much marylizcat... we just weren't sure if it was going to be a tuxedo affair as it was on the Cunard ships we have sailed on a few years ago... They are very bulky items to carry around when you are a long way from home and doing more than just the cruise... Cheers...

Hi Gaybo,

I do hope you post a review after your cruise. We've also been HAL and Celebrity people in the past, but have booked the Christmas cruise out of Adelaide on the Vasco de Gama and are looking forward to it because we did a Norwegian cruise on her sister ship, HAL's Ryndam, four years ago and just loved the feel and the size of the vessel. I will be so interested to read your thoughts post-cruise. And I'm with you, we would miss those HAL happy hours, and so we will be going for the drink package for sure.

Cheers.

dont forget premium package includes tips, there is a beer included in package bittburger which i found ok 

viv

On 1/3/2019 at 1:26 AM, yorkshirephil said:

I have just returned from CMV Astor from Perth to Capetown and had the VIP package which cost $42 AUD per day if booked in advance. (every 7th day free) That covered all drinks including specialty coffees except for French champagne and high end wines. The premium package is $10 per day less and you are only covered for house wines and draught Bitburger beers and basic spirits and cocktails. Don't forget both these packages also include your tips so that is a further saving of $10 per day. I found the package to be very reasonable compared to other cruise lines and we certainly got our moneys worth.

2 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

I have just returned from CMV Astor from Perth to Capetown and had the VIP package which cost $42 AUD per day if booked in advance. (every 7th day free) That covered all drinks including specialty coffees except for French champagne and high end wines. The premium package is $10 per day less and you are only covered for house wines and draught Bitburger beers and basic spirits and cocktails. Don't forget both these packages also include your tips so that is a further saving of $10 per day. I found the package to be very reasonable compared to other cruise lines and we certainly got our moneys worth.

Neil were the drink prices in AUD, and do you have a copy of the drinks list.  Thanks K

On 4/9/2019 at 10:48 PM, kunnocat said:

Neil were the drink prices in AUD, and do you have a copy of the drinks list.  Thanks K

For our cruise out of Perth all drink prices were in Australian dollars. Unfortunately I have not kept a record of the drinks list. Even though all our drinks were covered by the VIP package I seem to recall the following prices:

Beer (draught Bitburger)      $6.5

Beer stubbies (local and imported)      $7.00 - $8.50

Spirits (including mixer)       $10 - $12

Cocktails    $9 - $12 

Wine by the glass (house)      $6

Wine by the glass (select)      $8

Wine by the bottle                    $32 - $38

The prices are on the web site but I think they are in Pound sterling.

3 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

For our cruise out of Perth all drink prices were in Australian dollars. Unfortunately I have not kept a record of the drinks list. Even though all our drinks were covered by the VIP package I seem to recall the following prices:

Beer (draught Bitburger)      $6.5

Beer stubbies (local and imported)      $7.00 - $8.50

Spirits (including mixer)       $10 - $12

Cocktails    $9 - $12 

Wine by the glass (house)      $6

Wine by the glass (select)      $8

Wine by the bottle                    $32 - $38

The prices are on the web site but I think they are in Pound sterling.

Thanks Neil,    I have just come off the Marco Polo which obviously was is Pounds.  I have been doing my conversions, and just wondered if there was an AUD one hanging around.   The prices are roughly the same ( I think).   I had the premium package at a reduced price of 10 pounds a day, so  definitely got my monies worth.  Thanks K

17 hours ago, kunnocat said:

Thanks Neil,    I have just come off the Marco Polo which obviously was is Pounds.  I have been doing my conversions, and just wondered if there was an AUD one hanging around.   The prices are roughly the same ( I think).   I had the premium package at a reduced price of 10 pounds a day, so  definitely got my monies worth.  Thanks K

Hi, I'm just about to buy a drinks package for our cruise in a few weeks and was wondering how you managed to get it at the reduced price of £10?

Hope you don't mind me asking!

2 hours ago, Waju said:

Hi, I'm just about to buy a drinks package for our cruise in a few weeks and was wondering how you managed to get it at the reduced price of £10?

Hope you don't mind me asking!

No problem,   When I booked the Marco Polo South American cruise it was one of the specials offered to early bookers. Gratuities were also paid for.  They later introduced the packages, which caused a lot of problems for those who had booked early. Even at twice the price it was a good deal.  I had a double brandy each night before dinner (couldn't taste the single) and that was 8.70pounds, a wine with dinner, and something after dinner and I was well in front.  K 

5 hours ago, kunnocat said:

No problem,   When I booked the Marco Polo South American cruise it was one of the specials offered to early bookers. Gratuities were also paid for.  They later introduced the packages, which caused a lot of problems for those who had booked early. Even at twice the price it was a good deal.  I had a double brandy each night before dinner (couldn't taste the single) and that was 8.70pounds, a wine with dinner, and something after dinner and I was well in front.  K 

Thanks for your speedy reply!  That was a great offer - its going to cost us £414 per couple for a 10 day cruise but that includes gratuities so we think it is good value anyway.  On my next cruise with P&O it is £40 per person per day - I couldn't drink that much no matter how hard I tried!

Have a great day.

I have heard that C&M are now going to offer a drinks package on mini cruises, I am not sure how true this is. We are on a 3 day cruise Aug 2020 as a group of 10 and think the package would suit us. How much is it per day and has anyone else heard about it being offered to short cruises. Thank you 

On 1/4/2019 at 3:11 PM, Gaybo said:

Hi,

If somebody (Gaybo perhaps) currently on the Vasco da Gama (or other recent cruises as I expect pricing is consistent) could check the price of the drink cards that would be great. Yorkeshirephil  noted that back in December the dinks cards were 39.99 for 14 beers, 29.99 for 10 cocktails and 20 coffee's/teas for 24.99 on Marco Polo but I am not sure if that was pounds or maybe $AUD or whether there has been a price increase. If it is in pounds then it is hardly a good deal for me as the beers I would drink cost the same as using the card. I  am particularly interested in the beer cards and for what type of beers it applies - draught (Bitberger) only or also bottles. Also, is Bitgerger the only draught beer available? TIA.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, Nang said:

Hi,

If somebody (Gaybo perhaps) currently on the Vasco da Gama (or other recent cruises as I expect pricing is consistent) could check the price of the drink cards that would be great. Yorkeshirephil  noted that back in December the dinks cards were 39.99 for 14 beers, 29.99 for 10 cocktails and 20 coffee's/teas for 24.99 on Marco Polo but I am not sure if that was pounds or maybe $AUD or whether there has been a price increase. If it is in pounds then it is hardly a good deal for me as the beers I would drink cost the same as using the card. I  am particularly interested in the beer cards and for what type of beers it applies - draught (Bitberger) only or also bottles. Also, is Bitgerger the only draught beer available? TIA.

I can only speak from my experience on the Astor (now replaced by Vasco da Gamma) but the only draught beer available was Bitberger which I found quite acceptable.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nang said:

Hi,

Hi Nang,

We still have another 2 weeks to go...

Currently in Naples at present...

When I get to a steady/regular WiFi source I will answer all your questions... after 6th June...

We are all quite miffed as we are being charged in Euros... and the beers they listed and also the wines are not what we were told...

Lots of surprises on board and not all of them pleasant but saying that the cruise is going well and we all keep telling ourselves that 'you get what you pay for' and the cruise was a bargain...

So all good really!

Cheers  Gaybo

On 5/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Nang said:

Hi,

Hi Nang,

Having just disembarked from the Singapore to Tilbury, VDG, cruise... Here are the 'Drinks Deals' that were offered onboard... All purchases were charged in Euros...

Cheers  Gayle

Special Drink Packages… but NOT inclusive of any other discounts or Columbus Club discounts

Cocktails = 15 for 60-

Coffee = 15 for 36-

Specialty Coffee = 15 for 46

Most nights there was a feature of drinks being discounted in a few bars… from 5pm – 7.30pm…

50% off Sours & Fizzes

50% off Aperitif Cocktails

50% off Martinis

50% off Sherry & Port

50% off International and Favourite Cocktails (Old fashioned, Alexander, Oasis & Black Rus30% off Gins & Vodkas

50% off International and Favourite Cocktails (Bloody Maria, Singapore Sling & Summer Dreams)

30% off Ceraon & Septimo Wines (White, Red & Rose) by the glass

50% off Draught Bitburger Beer (0.4CL)

Beer choices were very limited with the only Draught Beer being 'Bitburger'... horrible...

Corona, Smaller bottles of Grolsh, Guinness Stout (not beer) and Becks. We assumed this was because the ship was heading to Germany and no self respecting German would drink any of these brews, so they wanted to run their supplies down.

There were many, many whingers on board and they were often rude to the inexperienced staff who had their hands full, what with being on a cruise ship for the first time or being on a new to them cruise ship. Staff also had to have German lessons as an extra burden and to a lot of them English was not their first language. I think they did very well under the circumstances.

We had no problems with our cabin at all, our room staff were excellent, as was the entertainment and the activities offered were varied and the guest lectures were great!

My husband and I both thought the cruise was very good... despite what you read on other posts... the price was excellent and remember you get what you pay for and while it wasn't 5 star it would in my opinion be a good 4 star.

We would certainly sail with CMV again!

Cheers Gaybo

Thanks for posting here, Gaybo, and for the positive comments. There are always whingers on every cruise and, sadly, they tend to be the ones that post the most. Your post has made me even more excitable about our Christmas cruise on the VdG.

7 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

Thanks for posting here, Gaybo, and for the positive comments. There are always whingers on every cruise and, sadly, they tend to be the ones that post the most. Your post has made me even more excitable about our Christmas cruise on the VdG.

No problems at Beejay4016. Another point that may be of interest...

The Laundry was operating on AUD$1 coins... (3 for the washer and 1 for the dryer) this was a leftover from the P&O days...

This wasn't immediately obvious and there were many days with limited coins being used. Eventually CMV had some tokens made up (not enough) to replicate the AUD$1 coins and CMV were then charging the onboard accounts with €1 for the tokens... this in turn gave the many whingers, another thing to whine about...

But they were fortunate to have access to a self service laundry as there are very few ships offering this service these days...

Laundry detergent was supplied by pressing a button when starting the machine.

So if I were you, I woud take a roll of Australia $1 coins with me... even if they do manage to change the machines over to Euros when the VDG goes into dry dock in September, you can a spend them on your return home.