Safaga, Egypt

MSPCUBS

I will be on a cruiser that stops in Safaga for 2 days.  I would like to visit Cairo and Luxor.  (I know, that is a big order, but I don't think I will ever be in Egypt again.)

Does anyone know of a good, reliable, travel company that does such a shore excursion?

Thank you for any information.

Safaga is best placed for a Luxor visit,if you must visit Cairo you will need to fly out of Hurgharda.

On such a short trip,I would overnight in Luxor at Winter Palace or Hilton and enjoy Luxors treasures.

Any Egyptian travel agent can book this for you.

Luxor is about 3 hrs from Safaga, Cairo at least 5 by road.

Luxor / Valley of the Kings will take you a full day but very worthwhile.

You won't have time to visit Cairo by road & back in one day (over 10 hrs on the road), and a one-way road transfer to Cairo then flight to Luxor surely won't work well financially.

So I see your choices as

- Fly from Hurghada (near Safaga) to Cairo on Day One,  fly Cairo to Luxor that night or next morning depending on flight times, a driver/guide to meet you at Luxor airport or Luxor hotel, show you the sights, and drop you back at the ship. 

- Or fly Hurghada to Cairo & back on Day One, with a driver/guide to meet you at Cairo airport. Overnite on the ship & take ship's Luxor tour on Day Two. That's probably the most economic, but ship's tours might not run on Day Two (do you know your sailing time on Day Two?) so it'd be an expensive private tour to Luxor.

- Regardless of whether Day Two to Luxor is by ship's tour or private tour  I'd strongly recommend making Cairo on Day One, Luxor on Day Two, in case of travel delays to / from Cairo - better to miss Luxor on Day Two than to miss your sailing. But if you were prepared to take that flight delay risk you could take ship's tour to Luxor on Day One, bale out at the end of the tour & before the bus heads back to Safaga, taxi to Luxor airport, overnite in Cairo hotel, tour in Cairo, fly to Hurghada. That'd be cheaper, but riskier 

.There's potentially another option. 

What are your ports before and after Safaga?

Would you be prepared to miss a day at one in order to fly to Luxor or Cairo? Would it be economic? Would you get permission?

Me? I'd forgo Cairo and concentrate on Luxor.

And if my port were Port Said or Alex. or Port Sokhna I'd forgo Luxor and concentrate on Cairo.

But I'm not you :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, MSPCUBS said:

I will be on a cruiser that stops in Safaga for 2 days.  I would like to visit Cairo and Luxor.  (I know, that is a big order, but I don't think I will ever be in Egypt again.)

Does anyone know of a good, reliable, travel company that does such a shore excursion?

Thank you for any information.

We did an overnight off the ship this year when we docked in Safaga ... private with Ramses (Ramasside Tours) and were very happy with the experience. http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/07/day-126-luxor-from-safaga-egypt.html... this is the link to the first day's blog post ... the next post covers the second day. 

We may have visited some of the other ports on your itinerary, so feel free to browse the archive ... or easier, click on the Itinerary Tab at the top and use the list to get to specific ports.