Golf cart vs car rental

I see golf carts are very popular here.Is there any advantage of renting a golf cart vs a car. Can you get to more out of the way places with the golf cart. I think a car rental would be a little cheaper but if the golf cart is a lot more fun, that's the way I will go.

I am happy you posted this as I was just about to!  I asked this question on the trip advisor travel forum and of my 3 responses, all recommended a car.  Mainly because I think they are locals and the golf carts can be annoying - they travel 15-20 mph and can clog up the streets.  Apparently not alot of space to pull over.  And although it is a small island, if you really want to go the south loop and the north loop, it will take some time.  I found that a car rental (prior to any fees) was about $50 per day and you could fit 5 people.  Golf carts are 2 seaters and $95 per day.  I'm not sure about gas/insurance for either.  I do know the golf cart seems to be super easy to get to from the pier and from what I googled, it looks like there are some car rental places within a 5-10 min walk from the pier.  I agree, golf carts sound alot more fun and it seems that most cruisers go that route.  I'm curious about your responses here!