Cruise Critic Community
OceanPrince

Tour vendors at every port?

Hi all, I'll be going on the Majestic to New Zealand in couple weeks. Will be hitting up Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin.

Do all these ports have vendors selling tours when we get off the ship or tender? 

16 hours ago, OceanPrince said:

Hi all, I'll be going on the Majestic to New Zealand in couple weeks. Will be hitting up Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin.

Do all these ports have vendors selling tours when we get off the ship or tender? 

Dunedin- we took shuttle to city center, there in info center bought city tour.

Wellington- shuttle to city center, then free shuttle to Zelandia park and Botanical Garden on top of hill near upper station the cable car, then walk down through Botanical Garden back to center. Very easy.

We definitely saw vendors selling tours at the pier in Tauranga, Akaroa, and Dunedin in December.  We did not see any in Wellington, but we were not paying attention there so could have missed them

On 1/3/2019 at 6:42 AM, OceanPrince said:

I found New Zealand quite tricky with doing tours etc. It is heavy regulated. Very unlike Asia ports where it is every man to himself and you get surrounded by vendors selling tours. Just jump on a resource like trip advisor and book a guide ahead of time. It will save less of a headache on shore.

On our recent cruise to NZ, there were private tours available at Taurranga, in the information, tourist tent/marque before the gate and in Akaroa at the end of the pier. Some of the people who were on our tour at Tauranga booked after disembarking.

Leigh