Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

51 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

I did not go to the show as I plan to go to bed very early (before midnight!!).

Love your definition of 'very early' (and agree with it wholeheartedly).
Hope you feel better in the morning.

I took the tender ashore with Patty and Andrea about 8:00 AM.  It’s a lovely resort town with beautiful beaches and well kept streets and restaurants. 

We walked sbout 30 minutes at a leisurely pace out to see La Mano, or The Hand. It’s at the beach on the Atlantic side. This sculpture in the sand signifies man emerging into life, and has become a well known symbol of Uruguay in recent years. 

There were here also some awfully cute sea lions st the marina where the tenders docked. 

D9A097C0-583A-48E6-98DC-6654C55F2D8E.jpeg

83188A38-AABC-4335-A536-0852436C5E33.jpeg

42C641B4-CBCE-4998-A4E6-0B75504C163B.jpeg

8EDF437E-13A3-4EF8-AD50-E50B7081CC30.jpeg

98FDBDF4-E826-4658-90DE-50A64B7D1DFF.jpeg

February 17, 2019

Montevideo, Uruguay

After ten hours of sleep I woke up feeling much better so I ventured out to walk around the city.  Because it was Sunday, everything was very quiet and most of the shops were closed except by the port.

I walked for just over three hours stopping at an ATM and McDonald’s for a Coke.  Montevideo is a city which is being revitalized.  There are many beautiful buildings and many waiting for refurbishment.

Near the ship was Mercado del Puerto with some shops and restaurants in and around it.  There were also some stalls on the street surrounding it and I spent about 45 minutes looking around in the area.

In afternoon trivia we had 11 out of 19 but the winning team had 15.

1) How tall in feet is the Eiffel Tower including the antenna – 974, 984, 1063, or 1142?

2) What was the role of Hermes in Greek mythology?

3) How many years did Rip Van Winkle sleep?

4) True or false – Anacondas lay eggs?

5) What island nation is the only member of NATO without a standing army?

I ate with my other table as this was Andrea’s last night (she departs tomorrow in Buenos Aires).  It was one of my least favorite menus.  I had a Caesar salad, crab cakes (they were really crab balls), a piece of beef that was only OK, and a fruit sundae for dessert.

We had 20 out of 21 for evening trivia and tied with a couple of other teams.  Nobody got the tiebreaker correct so we left it as a tie.

1) What German surname means “beet garden” in Dutch?

2) What Southeast Asian country’s name means “land of the free”?

3) Who designed the Rolling Stones lips and tongue logo?

4) What does a logophobic fear?

5) What year followed 1 BC?

Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I stayed in the Crow’s Nest for Name That Tune at 9 pm.  We won with 17 out of 18.

I have two early mornings coming up in Buenos Aires so I plan for an early bedtime.

Afternoon trivia

1) 1063

2) Messenger

3) 20

4) False

5) Iceland

Evening trivia

1) Beethoven

2) Thailand

3) Andy Warhol

4) Words

5) 1AD

Smooth sailing until next time!

We are in Buenos Aires!  We have spoken to a number of people who are either joining the Prinsendam or the  Zaandam.  Crowds at the airport waiting to go through Immigration.

About half an hour before we landed, we saw this interesting confluence, I think, of two branches of the Parana.

DB1D9EC2-18E7-4EBC-AF4E-814900D4797E.thumb.jpeg.5de0b9d16bcfc398c07292566ba181e2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, travelnap said:

VictOriann, Glad you made it safely to Buenos Aires to join Roy and Kathi for the rest of the cruise.  Yesterday's sailaway was much better than Saturday's although it was still pretty slow.  Hope you two have a great cruise.

Thanks.  I’m sure it will be great - if we ever get out of the airport!

2 hours ago, travelnap said:

I hope your repaired suit case made the trip safely too.  Sorry Kathi, didn't mean to steal your thread.

Pat and Ann are on board and have been to the lido for dinner.  Pat's already been roped in as a sub for Sherita in trivia.  They were in the airport for 4 hours.  That after a long flight.  I think they'll sleep well tonight.

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Pat and Ann are on board and have been to the lido for dinner.  Pat's already been roped in as a sub for Sherita in trivia.  They were in the airport for 4 hours.  That after a long flight.  I think they'll sleep well tonight.

Roy

Thanks for the update, Roy.

No report tonight as I am wiped out from a 7.5 hour tour and then visiting with Ann and Pat, a trivia, and a local cultural show.  And I have over 300 photos to go through.  And I have to get up at 7 am (!!!!!!) tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Yay, glad to hear they got there safely.  🙂 . 

uggh on their airport time but they are there safe and sound 😄 

13 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

No report tonight as I am wiped out from a 7.5 hour tour and then visiting with Ann and Pat, a trivia, and a local cultural show.  And I have over 300 photos to go through.  And I have to get up at 7 am (!!!!!!) tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

You’ve had a really full day Kathi 🙂 

No worries, we’ll wait for you when you have time.  YIKES on the 7 AM tomorrow.

Hope you get a good night’s sleep and enjoy tomorrow’s tour.

Kathi forgot to mention that it was well over 90 degrees F yesterday in Buenos Aires so we were all pretty wiped out from the heat too. 

Patty and i skipped dinner (and trivia, sorry Kathi!) and went to a dinner and tango show. Both were EXCELLENT!! The show was first as there were some other HAL tours there too. It was one hour long and extremely well done. 

Afterwards a smaller group of about 20 of us went to a private home for dinner. A local chef prepared our 4 course meal. Of course that Argentina beef was the main course!

We returned to the ship quite late - about 10:45 PM. My bed never felt so good!

509778BF-1FE9-499A-AE39-8F29B6F28852.jpeg

902F58CB-E9C4-43A2-A129-F138129C62D0.jpeg

98CFD330-B8DB-4524-AD50-7872A155CDE7.jpeg

58 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

Patty and i skipped dinner (and trivia, sorry Kathi!) and went to a dinner and tango show. Both were EXCELLENT!! The show was first as there were some other HAL tours there too. It was one hour long and extremely well done. 

Afterwards a smaller group of about 20 of us went to a private home for dinner. A local chef prepared our 4 course meal. Of course that Argentina beef was the main course!

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous evening, Sherita 😄 

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

Kathi forgot to mention that it was well over 90 degrees F yesterday in Buenos Aires so we were all pretty wiped out from the heat too. 

509778BF-1FE9-499A-AE39-8F29B6F28852.jpeg

902F58CB-E9C4-43A2-A129-F138129C62D0.jpeg

98CFD330-B8DB-4524-AD50-7872A155CDE7.jpeg

90 degree heat -- too hot for me.

Your show and dinner sounds wonderful.

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Glad they made it.  Yikes -- 4 hours in the airport -- terrible.