Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:40 AM, 0bnxshs said:

Kathy, I know you're a little beyond Antarctica now, but something was brought up on our roll call for next year in Antarctica that caught me by surprise and I thought to ask you about it.

It's been stated by a member of our roll call that an FCC on some 'dam ship said that HAL offers/gives heavy coats to passengers for use on board.  I don't think this was the case in 2010/2011 when we were there on Veendam (we never saw any such thing) and I haven't seen it mentioned by you, Sherita or Roy but thought I'd ask.  Did you see anything like this on this cruise? 

Thanks!  Am enjoying your blog.... :classic_biggrin:

Well, that didn't work! The quote showed up but not my reply. We just finished the SA/Antarctic cruise Feb. 21 and there was no mention of parkas and I didn't see any with any kind of name or logo other than the usual brand names. And it really wasn't that cold unless the wind was blowing. Flannel shirt with my parka worked well. I did have a fleece scarf that covered my neck and I could pull it up over my chin plus a hat with ear covers-those were the areas that were the coldest.

March 11, 2019

Manaus, Brazil

Today I did a 4-hour tour (actually was just over 3 hours) of the city.  We started by driving to the Indian Museum which has artifacts from various Indian groups in the area.  Our guide (who was the same as yesterday) told us about some of the items but we also had time to wander on our own.

The next stop was at the Teatro Amazonas, the Manaus Opera House.  During the rubber boom at the end of the 1800s, it was decided to build an opera house to rival those of Europe. The building was done over 15 years and the theatre was opened on December 31, 1896.  The materials to build it were brought in from all over Europe.  When the rubber boom was over (seeds for the rubber trees were smuggled out of the Amazon and areas in Asia took over the business), the building was closed for most of the 1900s until the opera house was refurbished and is once again having performances.  We were lucky in that the orchestra was having a rehearsal today and we were able to have a mini-performance. 

After our visit we walked across the street to the square and that is when the rain started – it would continue through most of the afternoon.

Our last stop was at the Mercado (market).  We had time to walk around and shop.  Most of the items were handcrafts but there was also some other items. 

Some facts about the city…

·       Population is about 2.2 million

·       Getting to Manaus from the rest of Brazil is by air or by boat (there is an

unpaved road that runs up to Venezuela)

·       The first Portuguese settlement was in 1669

·       Manaus was the center of the rubber boom in the late 1800s

·       Electronics is an important industry with a number of mobile phone

manufactures having plants here

We returned to the ship at about 12:45 and Sherita, Patty, and I had a leisurely lunch in the Pinnace Grill.

I knitted before afternoon trivia.  We had 13 out of 19 but three teams tied with 15.

1) Which well-known “a” word comes from the Aramaic for “it will be created in my words”?

2) What is nomophobia?

3) What is the collective noun for a group of cobras?

4) In Gulliver’s Travels, what was Gulliver’s profession?

5) What was the previous name of Zimbabwe?

I ate early with my other table.  I had artichoke and crab dip, sweet and sour chicken, and a white chocolate sundae for dessert.

At 7 pm trivia, we had 11 out of 19.  Two teams tied with 13.

1) Who lost a 1975 fight to Muhammed Ali despite landing 440 punches?

2) How long did it take to build New York City’s first subway?

3) Which of the 12 apostles is said to be buried in northwest Spain and is that country’s patron saint?

4) How many years was Tony Blair Prime Minister of the U.K.?

5) Who gave Florida its name?

Sherita, Patty, and I stayed in the Crow’s Nest while Tom and Pat went to eat dinner.  Pat returned in time for Name That Tune.  We won with 18 out of 18 (and had a hilarious time doing so!).

Afternoon trivia

1) Abracadabra

2) Fear of not having your mobile phone (really!)

3) Quiver

4) Surgeon

5) Southern Rhodesia

Evening trivia

1) Joe Frazier

2) 4 years

3) James

4) 10

5) Ponce de Leon

Smooth sailing until next time!

Oh you sooooo understated our “hilarious” time at music trivia tonight!!!  First off, we trounced the other teams with our perfect score and because another team falsely claimed to also have a perfect score, Erin forced us into a tie breaker, which was the theme song from Titanic, which we had to ACT OUT as well as name. And let’s not forget the special items of clothing that went “missing”!!

And now I’ll keep quiet!! 😂😂😂

16 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Well, that didn't work! The quote showed up but not my reply. We just finished the SA/Antarctic cruise Feb. 21 and there was no mention of parkas and I didn't see any with any kind of name or logo other than the usual brand names. And it really wasn't that cold unless the wind was blowing. Flannel shirt with my parka worked well. I did have a fleece scarf that covered my neck and I could pull it up over my chin plus a hat with ear covers-those were the areas that were the coldest.

Thanks for the reply!

March 12, 2019

Parintins, Brazil

Parintins is best known for its annual folklore show which is one of the largest in Brazil.  It is a competition between two groups, the blue Caprichoso and the red Garantido.  In the festival they present songs, dances, and floats to try to outdo the other.  The Boi Bumba tells the story of a bull that has been killed but has to be brought back to life.  The details of the story vary from place to place.

We were given the chance to view a one hour presentation of the story as an excursion complete with the Brazilian national cocktail, the caipirinha (made with cachaca, sugar, and lime).

Pat and Tom, Patty, Sherita, and I took the tender into town at 10 am.  Instead of using our tenders, we had some of the river boats take us ashore.  There were crafts as we left through the terminal but we opted to walk around town first.  It was slightly drizzling (not enough to use the umbrellas we had all brought). 

There was not much to see although we walked a number of blocks.  Pat was able to find a couple of baby items for the still yet to be born grandchild.  We walked through the craft stalls an bought a few things and then went to a large outdoor restaurant and had a large (600 ml) beer while we sat and talked.

At about 1:15 we got in the line for the show.  The convention center where it was held was right across the street from the tender pier and right beside the craft stalls.  Luckily, it was not real hot and the drizzle had stopped.

When we were allowed in we were handed a caipirinha which was really tasty.  The show lasted an hour.  It was constant singing and dancing with a number of amazing costumes.

We returned to the ship just in time for 4 pm trivia.  We probably would have been better off to skip trivia.  We only had 8 out of 19.  The winning team had 11.

1) What was Captain Steubing’s first name on The Love Boat?

2) Where is the oldest existing zoo in the world – Denmark, Germany, or Austria?

3) What is the cocktail made with white wine and crème de cassis?

4) The finish line for the New York City marathon is in front of which famous building?

5) What is the capital of Liberia?

As I was going to grab something to eat (no food all day other than peanuts and goldfish at trivia), I met with one of my dinner mates and found out three of them were not going to dinner tonight.  I quickly decided to join my other table for an early dinner.  I had cold berry soup (delicious), fruit, and pork medallions.  We ran out of time and had to skip dessert to get to trivia.

We did not do much better in evening trivia.  The winning team had 15 and we had 11 out of 18.

1) What part of a car has a bead bundle running around its carcass?

2) What scares the chute out of a barophobic sky diver?

3) Which award is decided by the fewest eligible voters – Emmy, Grammy, or Oscar?

4) Which sport gets its name from the French for “crooked stitch”?

5) What was Tom Wolfe’s first book of pure fiction?

Pat and Tom, Patty, Sherita, and I went to the show at 8.  It was a group called Graffiti Classics billed as “The Comedy String Quartet”.  If you have not seen them it is hard to picture but they combined music, dance, singing, and comedy.  It was a great show.

When I returned to my cabin the dreaded “Disembarkation Options” paper was on my bed.  It simply can’t be time for the cruise to end!

Afternoon trivia

1) Merrill

2) Austria

3) Kir

4) Tavern on the Green

5) Monrovia

Evening trivia

1) Tire

2) Gravity

3) Oscar

4) Croquet

5) Bonfire of the Vanities

March 13, 2019

Alter Do Chao, Brazil

Alter do Chao is a resort community on the banks of the Tapajos River.  It has been referred to as the Brazilian Caribbean.

Pat, Patty, and I met at 10 am to board the tender to go to the town.  There were some craft stalls by the tender landing which we briefly looked at before walking the few blocks into town.  We visited a number of shops and bought a few things.  One of the most interesting places was Arariba a shop that contained all kind of indigenous crafts.  We stopped for a cold drink and a bit of a rest before looking at a few more shops and stalls and heading back to the tender. 

There were a couple of things that struck me about the town.  One was the fact that the cats and dogs we saw looked healthy – unlike most we have seen in Brazil.  Second, there was virtually no graffiti on the houses, walls, etc. again very unlike what we have seen in other places.

We returned to the ship at about 1:30 and made our way to the Lido for lunch where we sat and knitted (and made mistakes) until time for afternoon trivia.

We did much better at trivia than yesterday with 15 out of 18 but the winners had 16.

1) How many members make up a team in an official game of tug-of-war?

2) Operation Sea Lion was Hitler’s plan to invade which country?

3) Which city is sinking into the ground having lost 35 feet in the last 100 years – Paris, London, Rome, Mexico City, or New York City?

4) In what country did Keats and Shelley die?

5) What are the three largest islands in the Caribbean?

At around 6 pm we passed Santarem (where we were a few days ago) and saw Veendam.  The captains put on a good tootfest and there was quite a bit of horn blowing between the two.

We again were one off the winners in evening trivia with 17 out of 19 (three teams tied with 18).

1) Who is credited with discovering the rabies vaccine?

2) Pupusas are a type of corn tortilla from which country?

3) Where were the 1988 winter Olympics held?

4) What was the last country Titanic was docked in?

5) What does the bird say in The Raven?

All present for dinner.  I had fruit, prosciutto, parmesan encrusted chicken (very good), and Heath Bar frozen yogurt.

The show was a digital magician which I skipped.

Afternoon trivia

1) 8

2) Britain

3) Mexico City

4) Italy

5) Jamaica, Cuba, and Hispaniola

Evening trivia

1) Pasteur

2) El Salvador

3) Calgary

4) Ireland

5) Nevermore

I have just posted some videos on my blog.  There is a portion of the tooting between Veendam and Prinsendam (especially for my "sail-away" friends).  Also, Ann (Vict0riann) had a great seat at the Boi Bumba show and allowed me to use some of her video clips.  Many thanks for her generosity.

March 14, 2019

At Sea

Finally, a sea day!  After six port days in a row, most of us were more than ready for a lazy day at sea (actually we were still on the Amazon for most of the day).

The day started with Knitters and Stitchers.  When I got to the Crow’s Nest they were having the final run-through for the King Neptune Ceremony.  For those who have not crossed the Equator on a ship before, this is a funny means of making those who have not crossed before (polliwogs) into shellbacks.  King Neptune and his Mermaid Queen review the charges against the polliwogs and then the officers decide whether they get dunked in the pool or are “spared” and have to sit on the side baking in egg white goo.  Regardless, all the polliwogs have to “kiss the fish”.  I watched some of it (it was my fifth time) and then went back to the Knitters and Stitchers. There were about 10 of us present.  I made a beanie for Pat’s soon-to-be grandchild to match one of the sweaters she has made.

Lunch in the Lido before afternoon trivia.  As we were waiting for trivia to begin we crossed the Equator for the last time this cruise.  We only had 12 out of 20 and the winning team had 16.

1) Hugh Jackman won a 2004 Tony for what play?  For a bonus point what was his role?

2) What cosmic even was visible to the naked eye in 1987 for the first time in 383 years?

3) What letter do all Japanese words end in that do not end in a vowel?

4) What major league baseball team has a moose as its logo?

5) Marvin Hamlisch is one of the few people to achieve EGOT fame.  What did he do to get this?

To arts and crafts where we made a necklace with finger-nail polish and metal washers.  Sherita, Pat, and I knitted afterwards.

We are really in a trivia slump!  We had 15 out of 19 and two teams tied with 17 in evening trivia.

1) How many of the eight Ivy League schools are in New England?

2) What is the largest lake in Central America?

3) How many arc seconds do astronomers divide an arc minute into?

4) What nocturnal scavenger is the only non-feline to purr?

5) Which late actress has a sculpture outside the UNICEF headquarters?

All present for dinner.  I had tomato soup, a salad, macaroni with ham and cheese, and a berry sundae for dessert.

The show was a repeat of Dance! with the singers and dancers.  I did not go.

Afternoon trivia

1) Boy From Oz, in the role of Peter Allen

2) Supernova

3) N

4) Seattle Mariners

5) He has won and Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony

Evening trivia

1) 4

2) Lake Nicaragua

3) 60

4) Raccoon

5) Audrey Hepburn