Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

March 21, 2019

Willemsted, Curacao

Pat and Tom, Patty, Lance and Sue, and I were on an excursion set up by Sherita.  We met at 8 am and were among the very first off the ship.  There was a bit of a mix-up on where we were meeting the guide but we eventually found him.

Unlike other excursions, this one started out with a box hunt.  Last year the ship sold boxes for sending items home.  For whatever reason (they never told us but I have heard a rumor) there are none this year.  Both Patty and I needed a box or a cheap suitcase.  Our guide, Larry, first took us to a FedEx store but it was not open yet.  We then went to a DHL store and after waiting about ten minutes were told they do not sell boxes.  Back to the FedEx store where we found they did not sell boxes either.  Larry then took us to a movers and we were each able to get a box (for $3 each).  Now the real tour could begin.

We headed to Shete Boka on the north coast.  Shete Boka means seven inlets and it has amazing views along the coast.  We visited the blowhole at Boka Pistol.

The next stop was at Playa Piskado (Fishermans’ Beach) where we saw men cutting fish up and the most beautiful sea turtles.  Many people were snorkeling in the water along with the turtles.

Lunch was next at Rancho el Sobrino.  They had some beautiful birds including some caracaras.  Very interesting items decorated the restaurant including a bed hanging from the ceiling and a Renault parked by the tables.  I had a crabmeat baguette which was very good.

We were going to go swimming at Kenepa Beach but it was drizzling and nobody really wanted to get in the water.  Instead, we took some pictures.

Our last stop was at the Jan Kok salt flats to see the pink flamingoes who all seemed to be snoozing while we were there.

On the way back to the ship we had a drive through the city area and were able to see the Queen Juliana swinging bridge (moves to allow in ships) come back into place.  Three people got out to walk around but since I had a box, I needed to go back to the ship.

It was almost trivia time when we returned.  We only had 9 out of 17 in afternoon trivia.  The winners had 11.

1) What famous guitarist pioneered the solid body electric guitar with Gibson?

2) What was first patented in 1750 with a recipe of mainly fish and fish bones?

3) What letter is used to represent the holes in the body of a violin?

4) What color is a huckleberry?

5) How many eyelids does a cat have?

I ate at my other table and had shrimp bisque soup, crostini with tomatoes, nasi goreng, and a while chocolate sundae for dessert.

In evening trivia we had 10 out of 18 with the winners having 11.

1) Who was the first author to get three books on Oprah’s book list?

2) What nation boasts the most donut shops per capita?

3) Who was the first president to dance onstage with Ricky Martin?

4) What nation is home to the Great Bear Rainforest?

5) What mountain range separates Casablanca from the Sahara Desert?

At 9:00 we had Name That Tune with Stevie.  We won with 20 correct.

All aboard was at 11:30 pm and I was out on my deck watching our penultimate sail-away.

Last port tomorrow.

Afternoon trivia

1) Les Paul

2) Glue

3) F

4) Blue

5) 3

Evening trivia

1) Toni Morrison

2) Canada

3) George W. Bush

4) Canada

5) Atlas Mountains

Smooth sailing until next time!

I can't believe it's almost over.  I've loved your blog and your posts on here just as I have during your other voyages.  Thank you for taking so much time to write in wonderful detail and give us so many great photos.  Enjoy your last days on that great ship with your fun friends.

6 minutes ago, Oahucruiser said:

I can't believe it's almost over.  I've loved your blog and your posts on here just as I have during your other voyages.  Thank you for taking so much time to write in wonderful detail and give us so many great photos.  Enjoy your last days on that great ship with your fun friends.

Thanks for following along.  We have all been asking where the time has gone and how could the cruise almost be over.😔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Last port tomorrow.

WOW - Last port 😞 

Can't believe your cruise is nearly over.  I've so enjoyed following along with you here and on your blog.

Sadly, time always flies by faster when you are having fun - at least, it sure seems that way 😉 

Great pictures of all the places you visited in Curacao.

I found the lizard but can't describe where he is -- long thin one -- tail and him near the lower right.

Lots of pretty birds and wild life.  Those yellow trees remind me of the ones we see on the hill sides as we go through the canal.  Pretty beach.

Kathi, It has been fun following you and Roy on your threads for this cruise.  I think we all have enjoyed going along with you and it is too bad that it is almost over.  After Aruba do you sail directly to FLL, or is there a stop in the Bahamas?

3 hours ago, travelnap said:

Kathi, It has been fun following you and Roy on your threads for this cruise.  I think we all have enjoyed going along with you and it is too bad that it is almost over.  After Aruba do you sail directly to FLL, or is there a stop in the Bahamas?

Just two sea days and back to FLL.☹️

March 22, 2019

Oranjestad, Aruba

Pat and Tom, Patty, and I met at 10 to walk around and do some last minute shopping.  There were some nice shops in the terminal and some new stalls with souvenirs.  We walked down the street by the water and did some window shopping of high-end jewelry and some shopping for less prices items.

We were back on the ship by 12:30 and had lunch in the Lido and then did some knitting.

We only had 10 out of 19 at afternoon trivia.  Two teams tied for the win with 14.

1) Who was the author who created Hannibal Lechter?

2) Which jazz trumpeter was nicknamed “The Prince of Darkness”?

3) The first Miss World beauty pageant winner was from which country?

4) What instrument did Marilyn Monroe play in “Some Like It Hot”?

5) How many inches in diameter is an official NHL puck and how much does it weigh?

Our last sail-away was just after trivia and I watched from my deck as Aruba disappeared as we moved away.

We tied with one other team with 14 out of 18 in evening trivia.

1) What is the color of mourning in Japan?

2) Which is not nocturnal – bat, mole, or guinea pig?

3) In Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”, what was the name of the candlestick character?

4) Whose funeral in 2005 was attended by 5 kings, 4 queens, and 70 Presidents and Prime Ministers?

5) What is the only planet not named for a Greek or Roman god?

Pat and Tom, Ann and Pat, Patty, Sherita, and I ate in the Canaletto.  There was a lot of food and we shared.

The show tonight was Jim Curry with a tribute show of John Denver songs.  He was good.

Afternoon trivia

1) Thomas Harris

2) Miles Davis

3) Sweden

4) Ukulele

5) 3”, 6 ounces

Evening trivia

1) White

2) Guinea pig

3) Lumiere

4) Pope John Paul II

5) Earth

Smooth sailing until next time!

Oh Kathi, 

Soon back to your humdrum life. Cleaning your house, making your own meals, babysitting the grandkids - with only a few sailaways to break it up.

I've enjoyed following along - because I know  [with the cold and no desire to see Brazil] I will not be going myself. I did look forward to all your posts. Thank you so much.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Aruba is a nice port to walk around -- even the back streets.

I love when we dock at that first terminal instead of the one way up front and you have to walk all the way back to the gated area.

Glad you tied at morning trivia.   I have noticed that questions are getting harder.

Hard to believe this was your last port.  Two more days and you will be back in Ft Lauderdale.

As a regular reader and a very infrequent poster on this board, thanks for taking me along on your voyage.  I absolutely love trivia and those are some really hard questions, but I usually manage to get a couple of right every day.  One day, a Grand Voyage is on my wish list (pending the big lottery win!)

March 23, 2019

At Sea

I started the day with Knitters and Stitchers.  We had about 10 present.

Patty, Sherita, and I left for the Lido and lunch just after 11:30.  They had an “Ice Cream Social” with four or five different ice creams and a large number of toppings you could add.

Trivia was at 1.  We had 17 out of 22.  The winners had 19.

1)       Name the famous Hungarian pianist and composer who was treated like a rock star is today.

2)       What was Police’s biggest selling single?

3)       What does “MRI” stand for?

4)       How many times was Nelson Mandela married?

5)       Which artist did Matisse and Picasso call “the father of us all”?

I met with Sarah to arrange to send home two of my suitcases and my box.

The Photo Contest results were in progress so I went in to see some of the winners.  The overall winner was a picture of a seal and a penguin from Grytviken.

Then on to the library where I turned in my 200 vouchers for a $20 Amazon gift card.  I am going to use it to purchase a swift.

Pictures from the watercolor classes and items from arts and crafts were on display in the Lido so I went to see them.

Around 3:30 I headed back to my cabin to do more packing.  Although all of my clothes (except for Sunday’s and Monday’s) are packed, I still seem to have a ton of things to pack.

It was our last Gala Night and I was surprised how many people had dressed up this close to the end of the cruise.

We won evening trivia with 15 out of 18.  No prizes.

1) What was the name of the first space shuttle launched?

2) How many major league baseball teams are named for four-footed animals and for an extra point name them.

3) What is the common name for the main vent at the top of a volcano?

4) What is kept in a ship’s binnacle?

5) Who was the King of Spain at the turn of the 21st century?

All of us were present for dinner.  I had a shrimp cocktail, apple, pear, and cucumber salad, surf and turf (very good), and an almond orange cake (so-so).

The Prinsendam singers and dancers presented “Concerto” billed as a classical take on popular music.  One of the singers was sick so the others took over for him.  They were quite good.

Afternoon trivia

1)       Liszt

2)       Every Breathe You Take

3)       Magnetic resonance imaging

4)       3

5)       Cezanne

Evening trivia

1) Columbia

2) 2,  Cubs and Tigers

3) Crater

4) Compass

5) Juan Carlos