Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

In addition to the note about shuttles

to Lima, we also received a letter in our staterooms advising us to be extra

careful while in Lima - be careful with your purses/backpacks/wallets, especially in crowds, stay in public places and preferably go with a group, not alone,

etc. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

In addition to the note about shuttles

to Lima, we also received a letter in our staterooms advising us to be extra

careful while in Lima - be careful with your purses/backpacks/wallets, especially in crowds, stay in public places and preferably go with a group, not alone,

etc. 

We have gotten those letters in many ports -- always good advice.

20 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

For music trivia last night we slso

got points for singing and dancing to the songs when the answers were given. We had a lot of fun with that!!

That does sound like a lot of fun.

Sorry

11 hours ago, mcmarya said:

What is the dropoff point in Lima these days?  We will be there in April on the Zaandam and it would be helpful for planning our days in port. 

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.  Wish we could be there!

Someone posted on the South America board that recent Princess cruises have had a free shuttle to Real Plaza Salaverry instead of the Plaza San Miguel (where we were dropped off in October).  It was suggested that this is now the place where all shuttles will drop off passengers.  So, I was curious to know if this is true. The shuttle to the Marriott in Miraflores is probably just part of the more premium experience offered on a "Grand" cruise.  Guess we will have to be prepared for a variety of dropoff spots.

Kathi,

Didn't we have trouble getting in the sky-watching on SoPac cruise in 2016? I would have liked to have seen the 'southern hemisphere skies' with a knowledgeable instructor. Of course we missed a lost on that cruise - with the 'out of season 'weather.

Carole

Thank you for the fun Live thread - all very entertaining and informative, and I look forward to following along! (Really enjoying the trivia experience vicariously XD!)

One particular thing that stood out regarding Lima/Callao transport - "There will also be a port shuttle that will take guests from the ship to the port gate throughout our stay in Callao." If y'all take it or hear reports from those who do, I'd be very interested in hearing how HAL handles it - we were told on our recent Princess experience that that wasn't possible and that it was out of their hands.

Thanks again; fingers crossed for good health and good weather for you all!

Kathi, I hope I didn’t miss this but could you let me know who the piano man is please (the one in the Crow’s Nest)?

I got asked the question by my friends who are joining you and couldn’t answer them.

Thanks kindly if it isn’t too much trouble and if my memory has failed me, my sincere apologies.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Kathi, I hope I didn’t miss this but could you let me know who the piano man is please (the one in the Crow’s Nest)?

I got asked the question by my friends who are joining you and couldn’t answer them.

Thanks kindly if it isn’t too much trouble and if my memory has failed me, my sincere apologies.

It's Stevie.  I haven't seen a last name.

Roy

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's Stevie.  I haven't seen a last name.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

Sounds like it might be Steve from Halifax!  

I’ll let my friends know.  Thank you kindly 🙂 

You’ll have some company with them and Vict0riann in February 🙂 

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Roy.

Sounds like it might be Steve from Halifax!  

I’ll let my friends know.  Thank you kindly 🙂 

You’ll have some company with them and Vict0riann in February 🙂 

Now that you mention it I think he did say he was from Halifax.

Roy

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Now that you mention it I think he did say he was from Halifax.

Roy

He was on our cruise this spring.  The Crow's Nest was pretty busy 😉

Thanks again.  Really appreciate you taking the time out to help 😄 

I’m curious as to what Orlando and Gerald are doing on the cruise.  Have you seen them around or heard anything?  

Also, I’ll be very interested in hearing where the shuttle takes you from Callao.  It used to go to Miraflores but that stopped and the last time we were there they took you to Plaza San Miguel.  We didn’t think that was a better location...  we’ll be there soon on the World so inquiring minds want to know what the latest plan is.

Thanks,

Linda R.

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I’m curious as to what Orlando and Gerald are doing on the cruise.  Have you seen them around or heard anything?  

Also, I’ll be very interested in hearing where the shuttle takes you from Callao.  It used to go to Miraflores but that stopped and the last time we were there they took you to Plaza San Miguel.  We didn’t think that was a better location...  we’ll be there soon on the World so inquiring minds want to know what the latest plan is.

Thanks,

Linda R.

As far as I know they are not on the ship.  Not sure if they will come on (with families) for a short period of time like they did last year on the world voyage.

Our shuttle stop was at the JW Marriott hotel in Miraflores.  It is across the street from the waterfront.

14 hours ago, Crewbie said:

Thank you for the fun Live thread - all very entertaining and informative, and I look forward to following along! (Really enjoying the trivia experience vicariously XD!)

One particular thing that stood out regarding Lima/Callao transport - "There will also be a port shuttle that will take guests from the ship to the port gate throughout our stay in Callao." If y'all take it or hear reports from those who do, I'd be very interested in hearing how HAL handles it - we were told on our recent Princess experience that that wasn't possible and that it was out of their hands.

Thanks again; fingers crossed for good health and good weather for you all!

I did not see anything outside the port gate that anyone would want to do.  It is a rather rundown area for at least a few miles before you come to a mall.

• Thanks 1

January 15, 2019

Callao (port for Lima), Peru

We were due in to port about 11 am although we arrived early.  Because of our arrival time there was a 9:30 trivia.  We tied for first place with 14 out of 19 answers.

1) What kind of bird is on the Canadian $1 coin?

2) Which actress was in movie versions of Little Women, Taming of the Shrew, and Ivanhoe?

3) Which took place first – Mussolini coming to power in Italy, the Treaty of Versailles, or the formation of the USSR?

4) What has 24 official languages, has the motto of “United in Diversity”, and its anthem is “Ode to Joy”?

5) What character did Jennifer Anniston play in Friends?

As soon as trivia was over the stitchers met to finalize our field trip plans.  Some of us did not have a tour today so we had decided to go to the Indian Market which was supposed to have alpaca wool.  We decided to leave at 11:30 and met up near the gangway.  The shuttle did not leave until noon and it took an hour to get into the city and the drop-off/pick-up point of the JW Marriott hotel.

It was over a mile walk from the hotel to the market so Karen (who I actually “met” on the 2015 QE roll call) called an Uber.  For 12 sols (which came to about 65 cents each) we had a nice van for the six of us.  We walked around together for about a half hour before deciding to split up.

Pat (one of my trivia partners) and I started our search.  We looked around for close to three hours.  The place is huge and we never made it to the nearby Inka Market.  I was able to find 3 colors of alpaca for a good price as well as some souvenirs.

As we walked out of the market we were discussing finding a cab when a driver said he would take us for $5.  We were quickly back at the Marriott waiting for the shuttle.  It took a little longer to get back but we made it by 5:30 (Pat and her husband eat early).

I got ready for dinner and then went for a bowl of ice cream since we had not had lunch.

Pat and I were the only ones from our team for evening trivia but three other people joined us.  We had 16 out of 17 but three teams tied with perfect scores.

1) In what decade was King Tut’s tomb discovered?

2) What is the world’s longest mountain range?

3) What present animal is the closest relative to a T-Rex?

4) Rum is made from which plant?

5) What is the most northern group of Polynesian islands?

We have a new dinner companion, a lady from the Netherlands.  There were only five of us present.  I had fruit, beef tenderloin, and a not-very-good piece of cake.

There was only one show tonight and it was a local show featuring the music and dances of Peru.  It was very good.

Morning trivia

1) Loon

2) Elizabeth Taylor

3) Treaty of Versailles

4) The European Union

5) Rachel Green

Evening trivia

1) 1920s

2) Andes

3) Chicken

4) Sugar cane

5) Hawaiian Islands

Smooth sailing until next time!

Edited by Scrapnana

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

I did not see anything outside the port gate that anyone would want to do.  It is a rather rundown area for at least a few miles before you come to a mall.

Thank you - the port gate is sometimes used by independent tour vendors as a pick-up point since they cannot enter into the port area; having a dedicated shuttle would be a boon for that purpose. It otherwise indeed did not seem like an area for cruisers in our visit last December. 

Congratulations on the morning trivia! Will the purchased wool be used up on your journey?

9 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Thanks,

Linda R.

I'm quite sure Gerald and Orlando were only on board for a few hours and left before we sailed away. 

As always check with your EXC guide (will the World ever be the same without Barbara H), but I have a suspicion that for now the shuttle will go to Miraflores on Grand Voyages, and to Plaza San Miguel on regular voyages.  We passed San Miguel on our trip to the JW Marriott and it was less than half way.  HAL probably needs to hire at least 2 more buses for Miraflores than San Miguel so I think the better location is one of the benefits of a grand voyage.

When I walked at 5:30 this morning there  were 2 port shuttles waiting to take people to the gate but no other transportation.

Kathi, one sailaway addict to another, I had hoped to be back in time to watch the Albatros sail away at 5.  I was back at 4:10 and she was already gone.  Bummer.

Oh my god, I am posting here when I should be working on my own blog.

Roy

• Thanks 1

OMG. Lima is absolutely exhausting. The traffic is ridiculous. 

I did a wildlife boat excursion yesterday afternoon and it took half an hour just to get out of the port and to the marina next door. But the excursion was fun. I swam with the sea lions! And then we rushed back for early dinner seating and had a 7:15 excursion into Lima to see the night fountain show which was great. But we didn’t get back until 11:30 PM because traffic, even that late was jammed, and now I’m up early for an 8:00 AM call for an all day excursion to Pachamaca. 

10 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

As far as I know they are not on the ship.  Not sure if they will come on (with families) for a short period of time like they did last year on the world voyage.

Our shuttle stop was at the JW Marriott hotel in Miraflores.  It is across the street from the waterfront.

I see further down that Roy said they were only on the ship on debarkation day and didn't stay on.

Regarding the shuttle, I'm glad to see it going back to Miraflores!  On the '15 WC they said that area was too dangerous and wouldn't be taking us there.  We really like going there and wandering the mall across the street and having a nice meal overlooking the Pacific.  We've also walked up to the Indian Market with all it's great booths to hunt through.

Linda R.