Cruise Critic Community

We will be on the Magic for the 07/14 cruising. Our ports are Half Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Is it crazy that I am considering not doing any excursions? Half Cay will be a beach day for us and GT/AC I am planning on utilizing the pools and the shopping area. What do ya'll think? I booked a cove balcony which is what I am looking forward to the most. No kids, just my hubby & I.

GT -- grab a drink, sit at Margaritaville, enjoy the music and pool.  You could do worse.

Well, at least you are getting off at the ports!  Nothing wrong with lounging on a beach - that's what we did at Grand Turk last month.

We have booked an excursion at Amber Cove for an upcoming cruise, because it looks like fun, but none for Grand Turk on the same cruise - instead I think we'll maybe buy some snorkel gear and play in the water off the beach.  Or just lounge around again!

Do what you want - it's your cruise!

I don't think you are crazy at all.  DD and I leave in 10 days for a 6 day cruise on the Conquest and we will not take any excursions.  HMC will be a beach day, Grand Turk will be a beach/pool day, Amber Cove will be a pool day and Nassau will be a stay on the boat and enjoy the non-crowded pool deck day.

Have fun!

On 1/3/2019 at 1:13 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, at least you are getting off at the ports!  Nothing wrong with lounging on a beach - that's what we did at Grand Turk last month.

We have booked an excursion at Amber Cove for an upcoming cruise, because it looks like fun, but none for Grand Turk on the same cruise - instead I think we'll maybe buy some snorkel gear and play in the water off the beach.  Or just lounge around again!

Do what you want - it's your cruise!

What excursion did you book at Amber Cove?  Is it a ship excursion? 

Posted (edited)

Not crazy at all, in fact we're considering not booking any excursions at all for our upcoming cruise and just going with the flow. One of our ports will GT, we've been there before and did a tour excursion that was interesting, but will definitely be a beach day this time around. Our other 3 ports I'm thinking about doing as we did in Grand Cayman last year and just go ashore and find a tour or activity on our own.   

Edited by schazzy

We haven't done any excursions on our last few cruises. Not to bad mouth them, we just aren't looking to spend hundreds of extra dollars to be on specific schedules, have to follow a group, etc. 

We very much love finding a place to relax, grab some food, and drink. Enjoy the beach and scenery. One of the most fun times I had was grabbing a rental vehicle and just exploring on our own, at our own pace.

For us Margaritaville is too loud, busy and expensive. We try to avoid American chains while on vacation. In Amber Cove we went to the taxi station and hired a driver. He was awesome, took us all over Puerta Plata, rum and cigar factory. We had a great day for $50.

1 hour ago, CUontheC said:

What excursion did you book at Amber Cove?  Is it a ship excursion? 

Yes, it is a Carnival excursion.  Um...oh, here it is:

"Waterfalls Of Damajagua - Adrenaline Adventure"

Hopefully the water won't be too cold in May!

33 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, it is a Carnival excursion.  Um...oh, here it is:

"Waterfalls Of Damajagua - Adrenaline Adventure"

Hopefully the water won't be too cold in May!

Thank you for the info.  I hope you enjoy your cruise.  I think the water will be warm in May.  We are going in February.  

On 1/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, ctsharpie05 said:

We will be on the Magic for the 07/14 cruising. Our ports are Half Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Is it crazy that I am considering not doing any excursions? Half Cay will be a beach day for us and GT/AC I am planning on utilizing the pools and the shopping area. What do ya'll think? I booked a cove balcony which is what I am looking forward to the most. No kids, just my hubby & I.

Not crazy at all.  We did the same thing last September at GT, HMC, and Freeport. 

Grand Turk has shopping and Margaritaville (only cost is what you purchase), plus the large beach area in front of the ship (front row chairs are rented by locals, but plenty of free chairs too).  We walked further down the beach to Jack's Shack and spent $10 for 2 chairs with an umbrella plus another $10 - $15 for a drink (+ tip).  Nice snorkeling from the beach at this port too.

HMC is a gorgeous beach and you can be close to the crowds or farther away without having to spend anything.  Some people do like to bring small inflatable rafts, with the saltwater I was fine just floating without assistance.

There isn't much at Freeport without a taxi or excursion, but there is some shopping and the ship will be less crowded if you want to use the slides and pools.

Honestly, those are all great beach ports anyway.  So, no I don't think you're crazy....I think it sounds perfect!

Sounds absolutely wonderful to me! Of course right now I'm stuck in the house with my second round of pneumonia this winter and hearing the forecast for snow, so anywhere warm sounds good to me.