Jump to content

FL proposes Beach smoking ban, will Royal follow lead?


Recommended Posts

No offense to anyone but smoking should be banned for one reason, its too dangerous because they can start a fire. All it takes is one irresponsible smoker to fall asleep with a cigarette in their finger or throw a butt off the balcony and blow back into the ship starting a dangerous, deadly fire in the middle of the ocean. Just my opinion though.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, theotherchad said:

I hope neither change happens. I don't smoke, and I don't like the smell of it, but I can't think of a place where someone's smoke is less likely to bother me than a beach. I do think they should throw the book at smokers who litter the beach (or anywhere else) with their cigarette butts. 

 

As to the vaping, meh. It doesn't really bother me. They usually don't smell bad. It's their lungs.

I

I have to disagree. When I go to a beach I want to enjoy the clean fresh air and it spoils my experience when I have to smell cigarette or cigar smoke.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

 

Not this non-smoker.  Growing up in a smoking family, I've seen people get pretty creative sneaking a cigarette here and there.

 

I'd rather see them smoke in a designated, self-contained area than trying to sneak a puff in the corner of the WJ.

 

Do ships still have a cigar lounge? That might be a solution to the smokey casino, although it seems the newer, larger ships, the casino's don't seem as smokey.

 

I caught a guest smoking in the Promenade on Freedom December 2017. All I could do is alert a staff member, and he approached her and took the butt she dropped on the floor. smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, zdad59 said:

I like a good cigar at night when I cruise.   I don't mind being relegated to an outdoor area away from the masses when I do care to lite up a stogie.   Otherwise I do not smoke.   I would like to see all cruise lines eliminate smoking from indoor areas, especially the casino.   It can get toxic in there with the low ceilings and large numbers of people.    Now RCL has gone a little down the road on the larger ships, having one side of the casino be non-smoking.   It certainly helps, but surely doesn't eliminate the issue.

Already happened in Australia 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Casinos onboard are already terrible gas chambers because of smokers, and plenty of folks would welcome the end to coddling the tobacco puffers. It will happen at some point.

I went to a casino resort a few years back and they had a smoking section in the casino, but it was completely enclosed. Only one way in and out through glass doors. The result was that the rest of the casino and resort was blissfully smoke free. Since then, I’ve wondered why casinos on cruise ships couldn’t be designed or retrofitted in a similar fashion.

 

This would keep the smoke and smell contained, give smokers a chance to continue gambling, while allowing the rest of the non-smoking population to enjoy a smoke free casino and surroundings. In the meantime, we’ve  learned to steer clear of the casino and anything near it, but the way some ships are designed with completely open spaces, some of which you need to cross in order to get from point A to point B, it’s almost impossible to fully avoid these areas. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

It was the Pride wasn't it?  Either way it failed. 

 

Always been named Paradise. I think it was changed to Carnival Paradise at some point.

 

If you look, you can still see the big no smoking symbol next to the name

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tapi said:

I went to a casino resort a few years back and they had a smoking section in the casino, but it was completely enclosed. Only one way in and out through glass doors. The result was that the rest of the casino and resort was blissfully smoke free. Since then, I’ve wondered why casinos on cruise ships couldn’t be designed or retrofitted in a similar fashion.

 

This would keep the smoke and smell contained, give smokers a chance to continue gambling, while allowing the rest of the non-smoking population to enjoy a smoke free casino and surroundings. In the meantime, we’ve  learned to steer clear of the casino and anything near it, but the way some ships are designed with completely open spaces, some of which you need to cross in order to get from point A to point B, it’s almost impossible to fully avoid these areas. 

Great post and perspective.  Also great questions that prompt the need for equally great answers by the cruise industry.  The time is long overdue for passengers to stop being punished for the selfish filthy habits of others.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with what @Tapi says, I don't see why cruise lines do not have a separate enclosed air-conned half/area of the casino for smokers.

 

As for beaches, the main thing that's annoying is the selfish littering with the dropping of butts (great gag btw @setsail, which went over a few heads lol), although that's not obviously limited to just fags and smokers.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Agree with what @Tapi says, I don't see why cruise lines do not have a separate enclosed air-conned half/area of the casino for smokers.

 

As for beaches, the main thing that's annoying is the selfish littering with the dropping of butts (great gag btw @setsail, which went over a few heads lol), although that's not obviously limited to just fags and smokers.

"not obviously limited to just fags and smokers."

 

WTH? I must be missing something.

Edited by ReneeFLL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

 

I caught a guest smoking in the Promenade on Freedom December 2017. All I could do is alert a staff member, and he approached her and took the butt she dropped on the floor. smh

Get this, on last April sailing on Harmony, in the CK, someone was vaping at one of the tables in the back during dinner. I told the CK manager. The CK mgr has a conversation with the vaper. Never saw it occur again but one must assume if they do it at dinner, they most likely are vaping in cabin/balcony. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...