Cruise Critic Community
Wishing on a star

Cabin location - Nieuw Statendam

I hope the experts can help with this...   I am rethinking the cabin we have booked.  (after just having a forward higher deck on our recent cruise - whoa!!!)  And am seeing a low deck, mid-ship, cabin available.

It is on the Main Deck, close to the bottom level of the Atrium.

Can anyone give me any insight on what kind of noise/traffic there might be.

Music Walk is forward of the Atrium, on Deck 2.

Could this be an issue?

I am wondering if I should consider one of the new Ocean View cabins that were added to the Nieuw Statendam on the Main Deck.

Any thoughts?

Posted (edited)

We would have to rebook, and give up what is probably a decent price, and some good perks, if we were to give up the balcony/verandah cabin we have booked.  But, those larger ocean view cabins there mid-ship did interest me, if they were offered at a really great rate.    I think we have decided that the one that is non-adjoining, which is like right on the bottom level of the Atrium would just be too close to public areas...  Even though, on the N. S. there is nothing really ON that bottom level.  Still, just one open stairway up....

It would be interesting to hear some feedback about this area, or those rooms!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We would have to rebook, and give up what is probably a decent price, and some good perks, if we were to give up the balcony/verandah cabin we have booked.  But, those larger ocean view cabins there mid-ship did interest me, if they were offered at a really great rate.    I think we have decided that the one that is non-adjoining, which is like right on the bottom level of the Atrium would just be too close to public areas...  Even though, on the N. S. there is nothing really ON that bottom level.  Still, just one flight of stairs up....

It would be interesting to hear some feedback about this area, or those rooms!!!

Well, you don't say when you are booked, but my first suggestion would be to keep your verandah cabin and just move it aft if there is any availability. If you stay in the same category of cabin,  there is a chance you won't have to entirely rebook (unless you booked under a restricted fare). We have sailed on the K'dam twice and are also booked on the NS for next week and prefer an upper, aft cabin. The ride is smooth, it's close to the Lido and if you are on 7, or 6, you are sandwiched between all cabins and no public areas. Hope this info helps!

I opted for the Family Oceanview stateroom this time over a verandah cabin because I like the 2 bathrooms (only 1 toilet though) and the extra cabin space.  The price is a bit cheaper than the verandah.  I usually get verandah staterooms but wanted to try this one out for the additional space.  Has anyone stayed in the Family Oceanview?  This is first on Koningsdam but I heard it is a bit roomier on the Nieuw Statendam.

Have you looked for video of these cabins?

Have you looked to see if deck plans would indicate that there might be some that are a bit larger than others?

I would be more interested in two toilets than two showers!

Two sinks/vanities is a plus...

Anyhow, for the additional space, I was interested in the new OV cabins, on the Main deck, that are about as spacious as the Family cabins, but have more interior space, with only the one one bath.   (just two of us)

Another poster was kind enough to post a picture to the entrance to the one of these that has been available, (THANK YOU!) and yes, it opens right DIRECTLY to the floor level of the Atrium and the Internet area.  Way to 'open' for me.   And, while there is really nothing else down there, and any sound/music might not drift too far down...  the Music Walk area is forward of the Atrium on the next Deck up.

We were on the NS two weeks ago and had a midship cabin on Deck 4 - directly over one of the shops which was immediately adjacent to the upper level of BBKings.  And while the music being played was actually two decks down and not directly below us, we still heard the music and singing (although it didn't sound very loud at all - a good substitute for my sound machine at home).  If it were any louder than that we would have complained, but it wasn't that much of a problem for us.  

So the sound does travel.  Just not sure if it travels down as well as up.