Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
abisha

Seaside Docked Only in Evening - Things to Do?

Recommended Posts

Looking for things to do in the evening in San Juan as our ship is only there in the evening and leaves at 1 AM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, abisha said:

Looking for things to do in the evening in San Juan as our ship is only there in the evening and leaves at 1 AM.

 Our ship is in port form 3-10. We just plan on getting off the ship and doing some shopping close to the port. I think the shuttles     stop running at 6pm.                                                                                                                                                                                              

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not into eating at restaurants in port (Old San Juan in loaded with them) or bar hopping (lots of great places) or shopping, check out a tour to the Fajardo Bio Bay. It only runs at night since you're taken by kayak or by electric boat (recently back up running) into a bay full off dinophagellates. They are microorganisms that live in the water and glow in the dark when agitated. It's a pretty awesome experience so long there's not a full moon out. It's basically the only off-the-beaten-path tour available in the evenings that comes to mind. If shopping in the old city leaves you wanting more you can catch a cab to Plaza Las Americas mall, about 20 minutes away. The mall closes at 9pm so you'll have plenty of time to get back using either Uber or taxis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your in the old city for sun set time, make your way to El Morro it is a beautiful time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highly recommend Bio Bay - very unique experience.

 

Depending on the month, you can walk to the fountain and along the Paseo del Morro - very nice walk along the ocean at the base of El Morro's stone wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be in port from 1pm - 10pm late October and was wondering the same.  The only other port that we've been to in the evening was Bermuda and it was in October also.  Everything closed so early that we were back on the ship by 8pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the flamenco show at Triana Restaurant on Recinto Street. No cover - just buy minimum $20 food and drink per person. Family friendly. Starts at 7:30 most nights. Not open on Monday.

 

The Raices Fountain is a gorgeous site at night. You can take beautiful night photos by walking around Old San Juan.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me the name of the tour company that does the Bio Bay with the electric boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, Stinger-pr said:

If you're not into eating at restaurants in port (Old San Juan in loaded with them) or bar hopping (lots of great places) or shopping, check out a tour to the Fajardo Bio Bay. It only runs at night since you're taken by kayak or by electric boat (recently back up running) into a bay full off dinophagellates. They are microorganisms that live in the water and glow in the dark when agitated. It's a pretty awesome experience so long there's not a full moon out. It's basically the only off-the-beaten-path tour available in the evenings that comes to mind. If shopping in the old city leaves you wanting more you can catch a cab to Plaza Las Americas mall, about 20 minutes away. The mall closes at 9pm so you'll have plenty of time to get back using either Uber or taxis.

Do you happen to know the name of the company that does boat tours to El Fajardo/Bio Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, seagunthera said:

Do you happen to know the name of the company that does boat tours to El Fajardo/Bio Bay?

While I'm not supposed to point to a single company since I'm local, try searching for "electric boat fajardo bio bay". It will take some digging but it should give you an idea as to what to look for. You can also call some of the "kayak-only" companies to see if they can point you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gregg00ss said:

So my ship is in port from 3:30-9:30 and I SO wanted to do this tour.  Problem is, the tour begins at 7:15, is roughly an hour and a half long and the site is a 70 minute drive from the port. Further, unless you have a rental car, the lady who  contacted said a RT taxi is about $200 (not sure of the Uber scene there?).

 

PS_ Thank you Stingr-PR and Greg00ss for giving us the site/info.  Hopefully someone will be able to swing the times:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This place offers evening concerts and is close to Ft El Morro.

I did the electric boat in Vieques. It was really  cool because you're higher up so you see more than from a kayak. We saw a sting ray gliding through the water.

 

I've done the kayak twice. Lots of fun, too, because it's like playing bumper kayaks until you get out of the narrow channel and into the lagoon.

 

I came a few days early so I could do the tours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

This place offers evening concerts and is close to Ft El Morro.

I did the electric boat in Vieques. It was really  cool because you're higher up so you see more than from a kayak. We saw a sting ray gliding through the water.

 

I've done the kayak twice. Lots of fun, too, because it's like playing bumper kayaks until you get out of the narrow channel and into the lagoon.

 

I came a few days early so I could do the tours.

 

What is the place that offers evening concerts? Or is it called "This place"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99% of ships visiting San Juan for the day dock at the Old San Juan piers 1-4. Carnival usually uses pier 4 and I have seen the Divina docked at pier 3. This is along the SJ waterfront, across the street from Sr. Frogs and the Old San Juan Sheraton Hotel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we will be in Dec 17 Tuesday on cruise ship, 3pm-10pm; do you need a taxi to see sunset at El Morro? is there any place in old SJ that has local music Tuesdays/early evening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...