Cruise Critic Community
LewiLewi

Problem With Dining Time

We will be on a very long cruise and are waitlisted for our desired dining time. We have tried to call Cunard and ask if there is anything that we can do to ascertain that our dining time is what we want. We were told that we were number 2 on the waitlist, but there was no guarantee that it would come through. They suggested that we speak with the Maitre'D when we get on the ship, but again no guarantee that we would get our choice.

Any suggestions?

This topic comes up very often on these boards. 

You don't say which ship or restaurant category , however my advice ( and others here will agree with me) you should contact the duty Maitre'D who will be available in the main dining room (usually at 1.30/2pm) on the day of your embarkation . The restaurant management are very accommodating as they are dealing with these requests every day , however ,don't expect your request to be sorted immediately there and then, give them a day and I can guarantee your request will be sorted. You are on a long voyage you'll have no problem. 

You are wasting your time contacting Cunard shoreside, these agents have no overview of the vacant tables, this is the responsibility of the restaurant Maitre'D and his staff. 

Just to add;   All  Cunard bookings in any category are unable to give a 'confirmation' for a table size or a particular sitting ie early/late, they can be requested but they are never confirmed on a booking confirmation.      

Edited by Bell Boy

It seems odd you didn’t get your request. You’ve been on our roll call a long time. You must have committed to the cruise early on.

I’m sorry, I know that’s stressful.

I agree. The Maitre’D will fix you up.  I think you are a full world cruiser and they will make things right for you. 

5 minutes ago, jeno said:

It seems odd you didn’t get your request. You’ve been on our roll call a long time. You must have committed to the cruise early on.

I’m sorry, I know that’s stressful.

I agree. The Maitre’D will fix you up.  I think you are a full world cruiser and they will make things right for you. 

Hi Jean,

Yes, it is stressful. But hopefully it will be taken care of when we board.

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

Hi Jean,

Yes, it is stressful. But hopefully it will be taken care of when we board.

See you at 11 on 1/22! 

Edited by jeno

7 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

This topic comes up very often on these boards. 

You don't say which ship or restaurant category , however my advice ( and others here will agree with me) you should contact the duty Maitre'D who will be available in the main dining room (usually at 1.30/2pm) on the day of your embarkation . The restaurant management are very accommodating as they are dealing with these requests every day , however ,don't expect your request to be sorted immediately there and then, give them a day and I can guarantee your request will be sorted. You are on a long voyage you'll have no problem. 

You are wasting your time contacting Cunard shoreside, these agents have no overview of the vacant tables, this is the responsibility of the restaurant Maitre'D and his staff. 

Just to add;   All  Cunard bookings in any category are unable to give a 'confirmation' for a table size or a particular sitting ie early/late, they can be requested but they are never confirmed on a booking confirmation.      

If available when booking your sitting whether it be early or late is confirmed and states that on your booking documents it is only table size that is not confirmed.

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Tell your TA to get involved and see what he/she can do.

We have and she is unable to do anything.

We booked a cruise years ago and did exactly as the OP suggested.  We went to the Maitre'd on embarkation day and he told us it may be a day or so to sort it out.  Lo and behold the next day we received a note notifying us that our request had been met and we were happy with the new assignment.  I think it will work out fine for you.  

It seems you are in the USA and joining the QV, from your posts.

on our round trip Caribbean voyage just before Christmas we did actually talk to a few people who were on late dining against their wishes, because of the fare they had chosen.

As a matter of interest, for those of you who book with Cunard in the USA, do you not have a fare that will almost certainly g’tee your preference of dining, if booking for the MDR? We have a 3 fare structure in the U.K., with varying benefits.

Being No.2 on the waitlist, must give you a good chance!

44 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

on our round trip Caribbean voyage just before Christmas we did actually talk to a few people who were on late dining against their wishes, because of the fare they had chosen.

As a matter of interest, for those of you who book with Cunard in the USA, do you not have a fare that will almost certainly g’tee your preference of dining, if booking for the MDR? We have a 3 fare structure in the U.K., with varying benefits.

I am not aware of any different booking structures in the USA. We were not offered any different fares, it was one fare when we booked for the accommodation we chose.

58 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

The standard fare in the US is similar to the "Cunard" fare in the UK with regard to dining preferences. Here are some screen shots showing where the dining preferences are selected during the US booking process as compared to the UK booking process for the "Cunard" fare. Both of these screen shots are for the same voyage where first sitting is currently waitlisted.

Dining Preferences Selection during US Booking

346590171_CunardUSDiningPreference.jpg.7490714d9dc1e360c35b864dfc8b18c5.jpg

Dining Preferences Selection during UK Booking with "Cunard" Fare

2071676451_CunardUKDiningPreference.thumb.jpg.3a80e3ced99d5cd9bbbf77b3b39e796c.jpg

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

I am not aware of any different booking structures in the USA. We were not offered any different fares, it was one fare when we booked for the accommodation we chose.

I totally agree, there was only one price through Cunard.  Only chance for a cheaper price was through a TA.  We booked in late December and early dining was availble then.  My husband would have really been unhappy with late seating. I understand your frustration. 

Just to explain US fares a bit more, the past two years Cunard has started offering what they call "Value" fares in the US during their 2019 and 2020 Summer Program launches. These fares were/are offered on many of their newly-launched voyages. Last year they were offered until February 28, 2018 on 2019 voyages. Not sure when the cutoff date is this year for 2020 voyages.

These lower "Value" fares come with significant restrictions such as non-refundable deposits, no ability to select a specific cabin, and of particular interest to this thread, lower priority on dining assignments.

So, to be a bit pedantic about it, there are currently at least two different fares offered by Cunard in the US on some of their 2020 voyages with different benefits applying to those fares. But you won't find any of those lower "Value" fares (with more restrictions) advertised on the Cunard website. You have to know the promotional code to enter to be able to see those fares.

If you do a normal booking on the Cunard US website, you will only see the standard unrestricted fare that offers selection of a specific cabin and higher priority on dining assignments.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, Wiltonian said:

Surely with a Cunard fare, timing IS confirmed, but table size is indeed only a request.

No, that is not how it  often works.  It can all depend how 'Far in advance one has booked'   even on a Cunard fare, a table  confirmation ( early/late)  is never confirmed on the voyage personaliser. 

Edited by Bell Boy

31 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

No, that is not how it  often works.  It can all depend how 'Far in advance one has booked'   even on a Cunard fare, a table  confirmation ( early/late)  is never confirmed on the voyage personaliser. 

Sounds like that's another difference between the US and UK. Here is what's showing in the US voyage personaliser for a QM2 voyage we have booked in July 2019 (under the US terms and conditions) showing that our previously selected seating time is confirmed and the other seating is available (after I click "Select Sitting"). Table size is not confirmed though even in the US.

689368958_CunardUSVPDiningChoice.jpg.29056fdf80385359d2bd52adc1be2760.jpg

Also, our US booking confirmation documents from Cunard state "Dining Request: Second Sitting / Confirmed".

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Sounds like that's another difference between the US and UK. Here is what's showing in the US voyage personaliser for a QM2 voyage we have booked in July 2019 (under the US terms and conditions) showing that our previously selected seating time is confirmed and the other seating is available (after I click "Select Sitting"). Table size is not confirmed though even in the US.

689368958_CunardUSVPDiningChoice.jpg.29056fdf80385359d2bd52adc1be2760.jpg

Also, our US booking confirmation documents from Cunard state "Dining Request: Second Sitting / Confirmed".

Thank you Bluemarble ,  Interesting to see   that on both sides of our  pond there are so many different booking conditions . 🤔

How far out are you from your sailing?

I booked in October (on the US site) for a December cruise and was over 200 on the waiting list for early seating.  It was stressful, for sure.  Our roll call was small and all of us were in the 200's.  A few weeks before, some of us crept up the list, but then a week or 10 days before, we were all suddenly on the early seating.  I can only think that they just put everyone on a list until the last minute to arrange seating.

Anyone wanted changes through the course of the cruise (that I was aware of) were accommodated by the maitre'd.  If you want a table for 2 it might be more difficult, but I wouldn't lose hope.