Coco Cay Construction

8 minutes ago, skidawg79 said:

Nice,  correct me if I’m wrong, but  wasn’t the pier supposed to open in December?   

I think it was expected earlier than that when first announced.

17 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Hey...ISLAND TIME is not like OUR time....it's a different way of life!  If they SAID December, then count on MAYBE next October....maybe!

That’s exactly why I did not choose to go to Coco cay In May. I’m waiting till the waterpark is finished!

1 minute ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

And you believe it??? Read the fine print!:classic_laugh:

Not in the slightest, just putting that out there for those that haven’t seen the latest official “estimate”.  We’re there in November on Navigator and as long as there’s a beach, chair and somewhere to get a drink I’ll be happy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, iahawkfan21 said:

Not in the slightest, just putting that out there for those that haven’t seen the latest official “estimate”.  We’re there in November on Navigator and as long as there’s a beach, chair and somewhere to get a drink I’ll be happy.

I hope RCI does better on it's timetable then MSC is doing on it's private island Ocean Cay. Originally opening in 2016, delayed 3 times now scheduled to open Nov 2019.

• Like 1

Weather is the huge x factor... Sunny days are great for us but wind not so much for a crane or pile driver.  We had to skip coco cay a couple of weeks ago due to swells/winds...  Im sure RCL can't wait to get that thing built....less disruption

The pier doesn't look that much further along than when we stopped there is August.

But the island construction looks a LOT further along.  In August, there was no evidence any actual building of the stuff.  Just the preliminary work of moving the dirt and site prep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradison said:

I am guessing that getting the pier done will stabilize the construction schedule as it will eliminate the biggest variable of being able to get people, equipment, supplies, etc on the island safely.

That's why the Pier was supposed to be done in 2018. Sound's like when I worked for US Govt. Was helping them design our new building in 1989 to be complete in 1992. Was finally opened in 2005 and only reason completed that soon was post 9/11 increased our priority

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, torbs said:

Weather is the huge x factor... Sunny days are great for us but wind not so much for a crane or pile driver.  We had to skip coco cay a couple of weeks ago due to swells/winds...  Im sure RCL can't wait to get that thing built....less disruption

Good point, I wasn't thinking about the winds, but anything over 25 mph would stop or hinder crane operations.  Operating a crane on a barge has a high pucker factor.  😃

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The pier doesn't look that much further along than when we stopped there is August.

But the island construction looks a LOT further along.  In August, there was no evidence any actual building of the stuff.  Just the preliminary work of moving the dirt and site prep.

Lots of behind the fence construction, really couldn't see to far back as they have a screened fence all around the project.

17 hours ago, WVHillbilly said:

Lots of behind the fence construction, really couldn't see to far back as they have a screened fence all around the project.

In Aug I could see over the fence from onboard the ship.

Just my thoughts.  I know many people are excited by the new attractions at Coco Cay.  I, on the other hand, see a beautiful area being transformed into an amusement park.  I guess it’s the way of the future but to me it is a little sad.  Katherine 

• Like 5