dleighb

Advice on US to Australia to New Zealand

We are getting ready to book our air and trying to figure out the best way to handle this. If I fly DFW- SYD-New Zealand  and then a return SYD-DFW, the cost of the ticket is $1000 more per person than if I book a RT DFW-SYD and book a separate one way ticket from Sydney to New Zealand. Financially, this seems like a no-brainer. What are the logistics? I assume that I will have to go through Customs upon arrival in Sydney, collect my baggage, and then I would have to go to my airline to from Sydney to New Zealand and recheck my baggage with them. Is having to recheck my bags on the second airline the only difference? How much time should I allow between flights since I would have to do this on my own and couldn't check my bags all the way to my final destination? Is there any reason I should not save $1000 USD per person by booking this as two separate flights?

What airline?  You might want to try an open jaw fare and booking with the same airline.  Try AA, Qantas, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, United.

If you do buy two separate tickets, I'd recommend 4 hrs at SYD (entry can be as bad as in the U.S.).  If the airlines will interline (i.e., transfer bags at SYD), only an hour or so is required.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruising cockroach said:

What airline?  You might want to try an open jaw fare and booking with the same airline.  Try AA, Qantas, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, United.

Just for grins, I put in some dates into Google flights and found round trip tickets for the OP's itinerary for between $1000 - $1300 per seat depending on dates for economy.  Of course  the dates and preferred class of service can change things quite a bit.

Edited by SelectSys

As cruising cockroach said, what airline, etc. Back in January, 2017 we did a Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland. Granted we spent a day or two on each end so that may differ from your plans. However, you are correct booking RT from a US city to Sydney and then adding a one way flight between Auckland and Sydney is financially friendly compared to multiple city pairs.

We flew Virgin Australia RT from LAX (added our flight PHX to LAX on Delta due to codeshare) then booked a one way Auckland to Sydney on Air New Zealand. Agree 4 hours minimum for transfer at Sydney if you choose to do so. Yes you will need to clear customs and immigration, collect bags and proceed to the terminal for your next flight.

If time allows, do try to stay an extra night and see the surrounding areas of Sydney and Auckland. So much to see and do!

We did this trip in reverse. Nonstop DFW to Sidney, and return Auckland- Sidney-DFW on Qantus. Easy ticket to book. Let me advise flying PE, if you don’t want to spring for BC. That 17.5 hour leg can get long!

And realize if your flight to Sydney is delayed, you may miss the flight to New Zealand and have to purchase a new ticket for that leg. (And risk the same again for return flights.)

I presume the cruise line's offering is not attractive? When we booked our Auckland to Sydney HAL cruise a few years back, their air add-on price was less than anything I could find.

We did this when we took a NZ cruise a few years back.  The flight from Sydney to NZ was like flying Southwest fares.  Also, check flights roundtrip to Honolulu, and then roundtrip to Sydney or NZ might be cheaper.  Plus you can get a few days in Oahu before the cruise!!!  We did that, too.

Sometimes Hawaiian Air has some great flights roundtrip HNL.