Getting to Holiday Inn on Australia Day - what would you do?

We're due to arrive in Sydney Airport around 07:30, we're estimating that we will be making our way from Circular Quay train station some time between 09:00 and 09:30.  The Wheelchair Race is scheduled for 9-10:30 and the route goes right past our hotel.

Our original walking plan was up Argyle Street and right along George Street, but it looks like the pavements will be very crowded.  It's not far, we're well able to handle our luggage, and the roads will be closed to taxis in any case.  We can play it by ear when we arrive, but I wouldn't mind having a back-up route in mind. It looks like there's a door at the back of the hotel on Playfair Street - is that entrance available to guests?

Any suggestions? (The blue line is the race circuit.)

image.png.467ffeb408d6e84db4cdf807d688b730.png

Edited by Muckyduckway

I agree with Docker.

but

if you follow your plan, but cross George at Argyle you can get to the back/side entrance.

to be honest didn’t know there was a race on, so I’ll go do some research.

10 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I would shoot them an email and ask what arrangements they have put in place for guests arriving during this time, including alternative entrances.

if they haven’t done it yet, the message may spark some action.

Good suggestion - I have emailed them. Certainly can't do any harm.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I agree with Docker.

but

if you follow your plan, but cross George at Argyle you can get to the back/side entrance.

to be honest didn’t know there was a race on, so I’ll go do some research.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Ahh haa it the Wheelchair race.

Doest start till 9:00 I think you’ll be fine anyway.

I'm estimating an hour to get through formalities at the airport (is that realistic for international, declaring everything remotely problematic, passengers?)  With another half hour to 45 mins for buying tickets, toilet visits and train itself, that would put us in the thick of the race.

BUT, give the winner (a boy from up my way) a massive cheer, a truly great guy.

If I'm still standing and with voice, I certainly will.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Just found my map, up Argyl, along Kendall Lane or Playfair Street, if George is super busy.

That was my Google street view choice, so assuming I can get in the back door, sounds like a good backup plan.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Also there will be a lot of action on the harbour Great Ferry Boat Race etc, google Australia Day activities there’ll be a lot on.

I will bring my elbow spikes, at least until we can get rid of the bags :)

Perhaps the hotel will have a wonderous alternative for us :)!

Edited by Muckyduckway

4 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

I'm estimating an hour to get through formalities at the airport (is that realistic for international, declaring everything remotely problematic, passengers?)  With another half hour to 45 mins for buying tickets, toilet visits and train itself, that would put us in the thick of the race.

If I'm still standing and with voice, I certainly will.

That was my Google street view choice, so assuming I can get in the back door, sounds like a good backup plan.

I will bring my elbow spikes, at least until we can get rid of the bags 🙂

Perhaps the hotel will have a wonderous alternative for us :)!

Your timing sounds pretty close, maybe 1/2 hour either way.

yiu will nite that I already know who will win, well I’ll be shocked if Kurt doesn’t.

You will get pretty good views from the roof of Ye Olde Holiday Inne.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Your timing sounds pretty close, maybe 1/2 hour either way.  Fingers crossed!

yiu will nite that I already know who will win, well I’ll be shocked if Kurt doesn’t.  I was certainly not going to imply any race fixing or anything of the kind :classic_biggrin: - but I did wonder!

You will get pretty good views from the roof of Ye Olde Holiday Inne.  After 36 odd hours travelling I'm not sure I'll have a good view of anything, no matter where I am. But I will try to take advantage of all advantages.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Forgot to add, even if you canypt get in the back it side door there is a lane from either of those back to George St that comes our right next to the Frint door of the HI  Good to know,, thanks.