Live on Reflection: 14 Nt Exotic Southern Caribbean (Jan 4)

mahdnc

8 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

The cruise director is Eddy Jenkins.  Correct?  We really liked him on the 12/7/18 sailing.  He is low key but has a wicked sense of humor.

8 hours ago, Bonita232 said:

The lady beside him is named christine she was the cruise director on my Hawaii crusie and assistant cruise director on our Caribbean in june on the solstice and equinox respectively. Martin the other director was great on The equinox so hopefully he is with her on this one aswell then.

Last year on the Eclipse Eddie was the Cruise Director and Christine was his assistant.

This seems to be what you have.

Eddie is GREAT ! I don't know if Christine is ditsy or just plays that role .

1 hour ago, hopeless holiday booker said:

So I have another question for you.  What's the noise like in the morning.  I think they've been taken but I  bid for one of those for my cruise but then read a review and withdrew my bid.  They said whenever you docked it was so noisy and early in the morning?

By the end of this cruise, we will have spent 64 days in an S class FV cabin, all on Deck 8. So that tells you something right there. 

There is noise in these cabins mostly related to port maneuvers whether it be docking or anchoring. The noise is usually a humming whine from a winch, a sporadic thud, accompanied by a small amount of vibration. 

Sometimes during heavy seas you can hear an occasional loud thud from the bow cutting through the waves. 

The noise never wakes us up in the morning when we arrive in port. It's not a consideration for us at all. 

Noise perception is such a personal thing that I wanted to give you the best description of it and our opinion of it.

I am sitting next to my son on our balcony and I asked him if the noise ever  bothered him to which he says, "I don't think so".

I have read about complaints from Deck 7 forward cabins and they read nothing like what I've experienced. 

A9422563-9DBB-4976-B458-6849F7ED9D78.jpeg

Above: My son is planning a trip to Europe later this month before he begins his full time job with Apple in Cupertino. Right now he is researching his skiing choices in Switzerland. Lucky dog....

Edited by mahdnc

Here is a floor plan for FV 8107 that I drew up from an Eclipse cruise. The floor plan is identical to the one we're in on Reflection, however it is much better furnished. But it gives you an idea of the layout and dimensions. 

4EDC9883-0BE9-4266-A325-AF7A413F25B8.jpeg

Here is the main living area

D6F4BF38-B9F8-4986-A7C4-50AB50F4EBEA.jpeg

Our 6' 2" son enjoys sleeping on this couch at night with the TV all to himself!

C821DB52-3C84-428D-9DD9-786D7F971D9E.jpeg

Above: The cabin has a standard size desk, standard number of outlets (all by the desk and a light duty outlet in the bathroom), and a standard size TV which is a little too small for the room. 

3B0CE41D-EEAF-4578-82CC-A4D681616077.jpeg

The living area and master bedroom (visible thru the door on the right) have nice large windows that overlook the bow with long chest/desk beneath it. 

C440FC6E-D935-4A1C-815B-B4337D34DD66.jpeg

Master bedroom is more visible here. 

1867290F-6563-42AC-966F-A04A203D2CCC.jpeg

This picture allows you to see the balcony door and the dining table. 

Edited by mahdnc

60C40C39-B69B-4405-BB58-212906E68AE9.jpeg

This table comes in handy. Incredibly, Solstice FVs were not furnished with this table--leaving just a lot of empty floor space

654B9E68-3B64-4D9E-BA6D-69B88D5E9828.jpeg

This long desk with drawers in the living area is awesome. There is a nearly  identical one in the master bedroom. Solstice, Eclipse, and presumably Equinox FVs did not have this. 

Edited by mahdnc

B40CFB5A-ABC1-4E98-959D-98F05F338D26.jpeg

Here is the nice dresser in the master bedroom. This in addition to the standard closet and another dresser in the MBR

B704C8C2-2095-4336-8561-2744AFCFC205.jpeg

The separate thermostat for the MBR is visible in the wall at the right side of the photo

Edited by mahdnc

Here is the compact 2nd bedroom which is furnished with two bunk beds with their own separate reading lights.

It also has a closet which has a set of 4 shelves on the right side. 

The room has its own separate thermostat. 

Our daughter enjoys sleeping here. 

E900E383-25BB-4908-940F-23D6A84E9C29.jpeg

The lower bed is on legs and does NOT fold into the wall. 

711F1C77-91A5-4639-B815-A48C4A4D0840.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Thank you for this live review; I'm thoroughly enjoying all the great pictures!  i have been following pretty much everyday.  I had also read your review from last year (I think) of your cruise that started in Australia, and it had me thinking we would try that for our holiday cruise instead.  The airfare kind of killed that idea, though!  We were just on the Silhouette for 12 nights over the holidays and have booked a cruise on the Reflection for the 2020 holidays.  The Celebrity staff member showed me a family OV cabin, but we have three girls and we need those two bathrooms to stay sane.  If it had two bathrooms, though, I'd so be there!

Safe travels back home, and thanks again for taking us along with you on your family vacation!

Linda

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SleepingUgly said:

Thank you for this live review; I'm thoroughly enjoying all the great pictures!  i have been following pretty much everyday.  I had also read your review from last year (I think) of your cruise that started in Australia, and it had me thinking we would try that for our holiday cruise instead.  The airfare kind of killed that idea, though!  We were just on the Silhouette for 12 nights over the holidays and have booked a cruise on the Reflection for the 2020 holidays.  The Celebrity staff member showed me a family OV cabin, but we have three girls and we need those two bathrooms to stay sane.  If it had two bathrooms, though, I'd so be there!

Safe travels back home, and thanks again for taking us along with you on your family vacation!

Linda

Hi Linda

I was thinking the exact same thing!

We have 4 daughters so it was always better to book 2 cabins to get that second bathroom. (And, to tell the truth , that really wasn't enough. Our youngest always came to our cabin when getting dressed for dinner because her older sisters "yelled" at her that she took too much time in the bathroom.

But I have to say that that FV really looks wonderful.

I love, love , love those windows overlooking the bow! And all that storage - wow!

9 minutes ago, SleepingUgly said:

Linda

The single bathroom works for us but it's not for everybody. It's the one question that I ask people if they ask me whether I recommend an FV

2 hours ago, chamima said:

Last year on the Eclipse Eddie was the Cruise Director and Christine was his assistant.

This seems to be what you have.

Eddie is GREAT ! I don't know if Christine is ditsy or just plays that role .

I wonder why she hops ships so much because in June of last year she was on the equinox! I'm just glad to her she isnt the main person, I honestly really dislike her so its disappointing all 3 of my cruises I've has her now. I also dont know if it's an act or what but manner just throws me off! I told my travel mates and they were laughing at me, but also super disappointed to see it was her. As no one either trip was impressed with her

Reflection Theatre: Our CD is explaining the connection between his native Wales and the Empire State Building. I'm sure CC member welshwizards, who is on this sailing, already knew this. 

01583412-1A20-4C99-AEA1-684F9B7E84E0.jpeg

Answer: the bricks are from Wales. 

Edited by mahdnc

Outside cabin 8105 (now facing cabin) is connectable with our FV through this common vestibule. 

C35FBD72-F8F1-45D5-BB85-C477D3F0DE50.jpeg

FV 8107 balcony is connectable with  adjacent 8109

4A163378-4B1C-418F-BD62-3155BBF5DD10.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

On 1/14/2019 at 4:49 PM, merinski said:

Did they have any gluten free options?

Yes, they have a jar of gluten free products at Cafe al Bacio. Although by the time I took the photo this was all that's left. The tongs in the photo are labeled for gluten free food. 

9D90EBE5-A801-4691-A4B5-4BA929B31734.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

I may have been remiss in not reading the reviews. It is very stuffy and hot in here at least in the middle of the day. The ceiling fans don't seem to be enough and there is no natural breeze because of all the glass. You're actually in a greenhouse. I was thinking that The Torch may be the more appropriate name. 

We ended up getting re-seated to a table close to the sliding door exit and then the staff kept the doors open giving us a comfortable air conditioned breeze!

5A0E02D9-4E5C-4AAF-9B93-DC70050D6AC2.jpeg

1:00pm on a sea day. The Porch has 4 of its 12 tables occupied.  The $30 pp cover charge may have something to do with it. 

05C37805-62B1-4AAC-A20B-168CBC98578D.jpeg

The open sliding doors are providing the cool ventilation for this venue. 

Edited by mahdnc

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, they have a jar of gluten free products at Cafe al Bacio. Although by the time I took the photo this was all that's left. The tongs in the photo are labeled for gluten free food. 

9D90EBE5-A801-4691-A4B5-4BA929B31734.jpeg

Thank you. Really enjoying your review. We will be on in Feb. It's nice they have this option.