NCL Bliss Returned to Nassau for Medical Emergency 1/4/19

cassandval

I am currently aboard the Bliss, and we just returned to Nassau to disembark a young child who apparently had a heart attack and fell down a flight of stairs. The captain said we will not dock in Miami until about 10:30am tomorrow-- 4 hours late. Prayers to the young child and his family. I hope that your son is okay. 

They are saying we get into port at 10:30. Disembarkation begins at 11. I wouldn't plan on showing up early. It will be a zoo. Whatever inconvenience we all have, it's nothing compared to the heartache of the family and their young son. 

• Like 2

That's really too bad and clearly of life event for the family.  Hope the young boy recovers well and the family endures.

We're on the Bliss B2B  today 1/5 and 1/12 and at the Intercontinental Hotel last night at 9:48 when the following TEXT came in from Norwegian.

"Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding tomorrow's sailing of Norwegian Bliss. The ships arrival will be delayed as a result of a medical debark en route to Miami. Therefore for your comfort guests are asked to not arrive at Port Miami until 1 pm.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Norwegian Bliss."

I'm sure transportation, flights, etc. are going to be a real inconvenience for a lot of passengers (best of luck getting re-booked travel arrangements as best you can under the circumstances) and a logistic nightmare at the port; we'll be staying away until well after 1 as requested.  

Again, back to the young boy and his family, hope everything turns out OK.

1. The captain did announce before we got off the ship this morning that thanks to the work of the crew and the quickness of the return and the medical teams in Nassau, the child survived and is recovering. Hope all is well for the family and that he recovers quickly
  • Like 1

Hats off to NCL and the Bliss team.  I was on the cruise and remain inspired by the response of the crew and organization.  The childs welfare was clearly their primary concern at all times.  Crew was unbelievably professional thru a really stressful time on the ship. 

FYI.  The 8 year old boy was flown back to Miami today by air ambulance.  A Go Fund Me has been set up to help the family under "Noah Anderson" if you would like to help.

Edited by InMyFreeTime
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, InMyFreeTime said:

Hats off to NCL and the Bliss team.  I was on the cruise and remain inspired by the response of the crew and organization.  The childs welfare was clearly their primary concern at all times.  Crew was unbelievably professional thru a really stressful time on the ship. 

FYI.  The 8 year old boy was flown back to Miami today by air ambulance.  A Go Fund Me has been set up to help the family under "Noah Anderson" if you would like to help.

Thanks for sharing about the donation page.  My heart is heavy for this family and what they’ve been going through.

Edited by stampincrazyinTX

6 hours ago, InMyFreeTime said:

Thanks for the update: prayers to the family and good luck to those of you who are now heading out for a fun cruise we hope. 

It is wonderful to hear how well NCL handled the event. 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:30 AM, tiffygirl said:

Ncl sent an text saying for us to come to the port after 1pm. Its going to chaos tomorrow.  

Prayers to that family!!!

Why chaos? Coming in late will make things run smoother because they won't be fighting with other ships for resources. The only chaos will be in the minds if the people who booked 10:00 a.m. flights.

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Why chaos? Coming in late will make things run smoother because they won't be fighting with other ships for resources. The only chaos will be in the minds if the people who booked 10:00 a.m. flights.

Now THAT is wishful thinking.  Tiffygirl knows that many/most will not know the ship is coming late and will be in line at the terminal at 930 am.  With that many waiting to board with no ship in sight does create chaos every time.  

I too was on this sailing.  I hope the kid will be okay!  

I didn't disembark until 12:15 yesterday afternoon and I wasn't the last one by far.  Kind of crazy to think that last Saturday, I had already eaten lunch on board by that time! 

My flight out wasn't until 4:20 so I still had plenty of time.  My Mom, brother, sis-in-law and their kids had a 1:30 flight which they were concerned about, but didn't call to make any changes.  They ended up barely making the flight so all was well from a "bystander" perspective!

I will share the ***** page with the other members of my group. 

Update 4 (10:44pm): please pray for comfort and easy rest for Noah. He has been vomiting, they think from the trauma of being intubated and his body has been through quite an ordeal. Brothers went off to the hotel with family a few hours ago, and Uncle Dave and Aunt Amy stayed with Noah while Grant and I got a couple hours rest. Uncle Adam is here from New Hampshire, Sarah from Colorado, and Dave and Amy are from Michigan. I have been blown away by the love and support you all have shown. You have encouraged me minute by minute. Our God is a God of the details, and He is seeing to each one of our physical, mental and emotional needs. Please continue to pray for all of us for strength, stamina, and clearheadedness as we make decisions in the morning with the care team. Pray for the family to strengthen through this crisis and for the name of Jesus to be glorified.  His name has carried me through this. He truly is our refuge in times of trouble. Noah is alive. Praise be to God. 

Update 3. Off the ventilator, back to sleep (naturally, not sedation). He is swollen, not super happy, but he spoke “it’s itchy!” being his first words. Tears of gratitude for my No-No. So incredibly grateful he is still himself. 

Update 2: awake and removing the ventilator 

update: reunited at the hospital. They are running tests while he is sedated. Hope to start to wake him up and extubate him soon. Pray for peace for his body, and his mind as he wakes and has to come to terms with what has happened. That peace, truth and love will reign in his heart and mind. He is a fighter. And such a little extrovert. Keeps trying to open his eyes when he hears our voices. ❤️❤️❤️

This little mister, full of life and fun, could really use some prayers. He had a cardiac arrest last night on a cruise ship. The ship had to return to the Bahamas for him to be medivac’d to the states. Grant and Noah were at a hospital in Nassau overnight and just landed in Miami and are in route to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. He is currently stable, but intubated, on a ventilator, and sedated. Our God is good. CPR was started within seconds of him arresting, the cruise doctors were there quickly as well. I can’t speak highly enough of the Norwegian cruise line, their staff and the very kind 4,000 other passengers that had their trips home canceled.  My heart will rest easier when he arrives and I can see him with my own eyes. Thank you for your prayers. Our God is mighty and faithful.

7 hours ago, zqvol said:

4000 passengers arrived hours later than scheduled.  My flight was scheduled for 12:30pm but I got to the airport too late to have luggage loaded so I was forced to book a last minute $1500 replacement flight out at 4:30pm which I was lucky to get since many of the aforementioned 4000 passengers were at the same time looking for flights home.  Many of these I can tell you have not yet made it home as many were re-booking on flights with plus one and plus two day arrival times.  4000 passengers were jammed up at the port trying to get themselves and their luggage onto the ship while the previous weeks 4000 passengers with luggage were trying to get off the ship most of whom were trying to be the first off to potentially salvage their plans.  While NCL staff were trying to deal with all of these 8000 stressed passengers ground crews were forced to manage the massive turnaround logistics disruption(fuelling and a weeks supplies on and off for a floating city) which is challenging on a good day. 

"The only chaos will be in the minds" ?

Looking at all this in perspective I really think we need to recognize how NCL responded.  They could have air evacuated the child from the ship and met the planned cruise timeline but that was not in the childs best interest and would have placed his life at greater risk.  So with full knowledge of the great cost and pain to the company and its staff that this would entail the captain, with NCL management approval and without hesitation, reversed the ship and proceeded back to port at best speed.  I was only one of the thousands and thousands that made small sacrafices in perspective yesterday following their lead and choose to focus on what ultimately is really important.

Edited by InMyFreeTime
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, InMyFreeTime said:

4000 passengers arrived hours later than scheduled.  My flight was scheduled for 12:30pm but I got to the airport too late to have luggage loaded so I was forced to book a last minute $1500 replacement flight out at 4:30pm which I was lucky to get since many of the aforementioned 4000 passengers were at the same time looking for flights home.  Many of these I can tell you have not yet made it home as many were re-booking on flights with plus one and plus two day arrival times.  4000 passengers were jammed up at the port trying to get themselves and their luggage onto the ship while the previous weeks 4000 passengers with luggage were trying to get off the ship most of whom were trying to be the first off to potentially salvage their plans.  While NCL staff were trying to deal with all of these 8000 stressed passengers ground crews were forced to manage the massive turnaround logistics disruption(fuelling and a weeks supplies on and off for a floating city) which is challenging on a good day. 

"The only chaos will be in the minds" ?

Looking at all this in perspective I really think we need to recognize how NCL responded.  They could have air evacuated the child from the ship and met the planned cruise timeline but that was not in the childs best interest and would have placed his life at greater risk.  So with full knowledge of the great cost and pain to the company and its staff that this would entail the captain, with NCL management approval and without hesitation, reversed the ship and proceeded back to port at best speed.  I was only one of the thousands and thousands that made small sacrafices in perspective yesterday following their lead and choose to focus on what ultimately is really important.

Yes, it was absolutely very real chaos!  With very good reason, of course, and I'm sure the vast majority of people (myself included) absolutely understood that it was necessary.  Kudos to NCL for handling it as best they could given the circumstance.  I know it's easy for me to say because I made my flight.  

Also, I went to the site for the family, and I saw them on board!!!  I remember thinking to myself how much I loved their red hair (my family has a lot of redheads, myself included).  I almost said something.  I wish I had.  So sad to know it was them.  =(  

The post above I recognize from the mother’s Facebook page (with the updates).  Such a cute family.  Can’t even fathom what they are going through.  Kudos to NCL for doing the right thing, and anyone who complains about being inconvenienced needs to imagine being in this family’s shoes.  Especially when kids are involved, just heartbreaking.  Another good reason to have trip insurance.  I’ll be honest, I never took it out before but will going forward anytime flights are involved.  Between weather and medical emergencies, lots of trip disruptions lately.