Cruise Critic Community
kelship

Miami fun & restaurant recs

Cruising with my mother- in- law late September, flying in the day before.

What are your favorite things for a fun day/evening in MIA and restaurant recs for dinner?

Thanks!I

**bonus points if these things are near a hotel with free airport shuttle 😁

4 hours ago, kelship said:

Cruising with my mother- in- law late September, flying in the day before.

What are your favorite things for a fun day/evening in MIA and restaurant recs for dinner?

Thanks!I

**bonus points if these things are near a hotel with free airport shuttle 😁

Only Hotels out near the MIA airport offer free airport shuttles. Not much fun out there. Focus on downtown hotels, which will require a taxi ($25-30) or Uber/Lyft (about $20).

If you arrive early enough there are a couple of different hop-on/off bus tours that give you an overview of Miami and Miami Beach.

Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is very popular, includes breakfast, and is close to lots of local dining options.  Prices in late September should be reasonable. 

Have a great cruise. 😎

Please don't waste your time looking for airport shuttles hotels. Nor port shuttle hotels. 

Miami airport is very close to the city center. September is not high season, you should find good deals for nice hotels in the Downtown Miami and Brickell area. That is where you want to be. Unless you want to spend an evening in South Beach. 

Take uber/lyft not taxis, they are cheaper, much better service and can't take you for a "ride". 

As for things to do. There are plenty. You have a full day? There are hop-on/off buses with boat tours packages. Bayside is a nice place to catch a 60-min boat tour around the bay and enjoy a drink. There are better options for dinner though. Miami has a bit of everything. 

As for food. What do you want? Floridian seafood type. Southern? Popular foodie spot? Local hole in the wall? More upscale? Latin American/Cuban? 

Just for some popular suggesting I'll list some spots that I enjoy and usually a hit with visitors: 

Yardbird 

Havana 1957 (Lincoln Road Location is nice) 

Pollo Y Jarras 

Trulucks 

Versailles

27 Restaurant

Here is a good list as well: Everything on this list is great, been to many of them: https://miami.eater.com/maps/miami-best-restaurants-38

On 1/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, Flymia said:

Please don't waste your time looking for airport shuttles hotels. Nor port shuttle hotels. 

Miami airport is very close to the city center. September is not high season, you should find good deals for nice hotels in the Downtown Miami and Brickell area. That is where you want to be. Unless you want to spend an evening in South Beach. 

Take uber/lyft not taxis, they are cheaper, much better service and can't take you for a "ride". 

As for things to do. There are plenty. You have a full day? There are hop-on/off buses with boat tours packages. Bayside is a nice place to catch a 60-min boat tour around the bay and enjoy a drink. There are better options for dinner though. Miami has a bit of everything. 

As for food. What do you want? Floridian seafood type. Southern? Popular foodie spot? Local hole in the wall? More upscale? Latin American/Cuban? 

Just for some popular suggesting I'll list some spots that I enjoy and usually a hit with visitors: 

Yardbird 

Havana 1957 (Lincoln Road Location is nice) 

Pollo Y Jarras 

Trulucks 

Versailles

27 Restaurant

Here is a good list as well: Everything on this list is great, been to many of them: https://miami.eater.com/maps/miami-best-restaurants-38

That's a great article!  Planta is no longer strictly vegan/vegetarian.  A friend is the DofO for Dave Grutman. 

La Sponda is one of my favorite restaurants in the world!  

Guess the article writer didn't want to put both Le Sirenuse and The Surf Club Restaurant on the same list 🙂