Search Function?

13 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Is there a way to just search an individual forum rather that the entire collection of forums on the boards?

Thanks

Yes, on some devices.  On a laptop/desktop (larger device) click on the Search box and then select from the options there as to "this forum"  "topics" "members"  whatever.  Then put in the search term you want and click the magnifying glass.

These options (the pull down menu) are not available on mobile devices, from what I understand.

From the page in your snapshot click Boards. This will take you to the CC boards.

image.png.0a6bd2028b958e8c63f442095999e446.png

In the top right corner of the webpage. Note the Search edit below your login name. If you click on it you should get several dropdowns that permit refinement. Alternately, click on the magnifying glass on the right of the edit to pull up a full window that has various filter criteria.

Click

On 1/10/2019 at 4:45 PM, Susie said:

Where is the drop down menu or the Search button? With this new forum, I seem to have lost the ability to fine tune a search. It's awful!

Agreed. The lack of a concise "Advanced search" menu is frustrating. 

Getting to that advanced search requires fist going to Activity from within the boards, and THEN to the Search link, which is different than the other TWO search functions that are also visible?  I'll give you that it's there, but rather confounding. 

31 minutes ago, D C said:

Getting to that advanced search requires fist going to Activity from within the boards, and THEN to the Search link, which is different than the other TWO search functions that are also visible?  I'll give you that it's there, but rather confounding. 

On a desktop

1) click where it says search above the topic

image.thumb.png.23d9c4eeff2ba92869b7bcd31339f657.png

2) pick your filters

image.png.950e49c690817410530dbfa5357e12f7.png

1 hour ago, D C said:

Not so. On a desktop the Search edit is present on all board pages. Simply click the magnifying glass on the right side of the edit to bring up the full page search criteria.

On a mobile the blue toolbar at the top of every page has a search button (magnifying glass) that will bring up detailed search criteria.

The search button on the CC banner searches the CC website. I agree that is a bit confusing when first encountered.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Not so. On a desktop the Search edit is present on all board pages. Simply click the magnifying glass on the right side of the edit to bring up the full page search criteria.

On a mobile the blue toolbar at the top of every page has a search button (magnifying glass) that will bring up detailed search criteria.

The search button on the CC banner searches the CC website. I agree that is a bit confusing when first encountered.

Frankly, that implementation couldn't be more counter-intuitive. 

Even with that "advanced" window open, I still can't search within a parent forum without first going to that forum, or selectively search across multiple forums.  Or maybe there's some magic button that I need to hit...

53 minutes ago, D C said:

Frankly, that implementation couldn't be more counter-intuitive. 

Even with that "advanced" window open, I still can't search within a parent forum without first going to that forum, or selectively search across multiple forums.  Or maybe there's some magic button that I need to hit...

For that level start or hover over  the activity tab and pick search

image.png.0f075e2ba679e5debe7f669879f9db9c.png

Then if you change content type to topics

image.png.b06f444620d37a3f9e21c3296f49f67d.png

Then you can expand any "gray" selection and pick multiples from multiple boards categories

image.png.5d46e453b88399ce65ab70ce9c9f6595.png

Then a search term in the top

image.png.d481aae400921539958b63d6ae04f3e5.png

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=Alaska AND Glacier AND Bay&type=forums_topic&nodes=133,119,51,103&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

Gets a bunch of results that you can now pick more search options to refine or change words to narrow

image.thumb.png.bfb832a2a502f64001784a959dc418f3.png

If I change from any of my words to all my words the results go from 380 pages to two pages

Edited by AlanF65