Cruise Critic Community
AnitaVacation

Liberty of the Seas First-timer questions

My brother, SIL and 3 children (16,12,10) just booked a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston in March.  I've only been on RC once and he is asking for advice to get the most of this cruise.  So I am asking for your help to compile a list of things to 'don't miss' and things to 'skip' for this ship.  I also need information on wifi prices if anyone has that. 

I did tell him to download the app.

What things require reservations? (shows/entertainment in particular) 

What are the wifi options? (prices?)

Is there a way (an app?) so that everyone can keep in touch? (is there a price?)

Does RC offer 'anytime' dining?

Charge for room service?

Please send me all your tips and tricks for this ship!! 

Thanks in advance!!

ps. my husband and I are avid cruises on two other lines, just not much experience with RC

2 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

My brother, SIL and 3 children (16,12,10) just booked a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston in March.  I've only been on RC once and he is asking for advice to get the most of this cruise.  So I am asking for your help to compile a list of things to 'don't miss' and things to 'skip' for this ship.  I also need information on wifi prices if anyone has that. 

I did tell him to download the app.

What things require reservations? (shows/entertainment in particular) 

What are the wifi options? (prices?)

Is there a way (an app?) so that everyone can keep in touch? (is there a price?)

Does RC offer 'anytime' dining?

Charge for room service?

Please send me all your tips and tricks for this ship!! 

Thanks in advance!!

ps. my husband and I are avid cruises on two other lines, just not much experience with RC

On Liberty of the Seas you do not reserve shows at all.  Just show up about 30 minutes early.

WiFi prices vary.  Check you your cruise planner on RCI website.

RCI calls it MyTime dining.

Liberty does have an app but it does not have txt capabilities yet.  

Charge for room service is 7.95 except for breakfast that is free.

No pre-cruise entertainment reservations on Liberty.

WiFi prices will be in your Cruise Planner on Royal's website.

No app supported on Liberty with texting ability as of today.  May come in the future.

Anytime dinins is available, called My Time Dining (MTD) on Royal.

Room service charge is $8 per order, except for continental breakfast items in the morning.

Don't miss the ice show.

There is a family doing a Live Review of Liberty this week if you want to follow.  I hope this brings up the entire thread:   

Also, for the internet package, check the cruise planner frequently.  The prices for a Multiple Device package may change randomly on a day to day basis. .  

Edited by BSocial

Instead of sitting back and asking others to tell you everything about the ship.

I recommend you do a little research on your own to find out the answers.

Perhaps go and read some of the "member reviews" on this site.   There are hundreds and many are very detailed with much information.

Or use the search function and type in key words.  All your questions have been asked multiple times.

Unless you really need to be able to have connectivity (ie for work, school) the internet packages are pretty slow with choppy service.  I used my cell phone while in port.  AT&T has an international day pass that you can request be added to your line that will allow you to use your phone (data, voice and text) just as you would back home, within the limits of your plan for $10 per 24 hour period.  The service using that is pretty good.  

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Instead of sitting back and asking others to tell you everything about the ship.

I recommend you do a little research on your own to find out the answers.

Perhaps go and read some of the "member reviews" on this site.   There are hundreds and many are very detailed with much information.

Or use the search function and type in key words.  All your questions have been asked multiple times.

There's always one.....Thank you for taking time to leave your negative comment....If you've got nothing valuable to add to this thread, you should just move along...and please, don't respond to this post with another negative comment.....thank you

Do the balcony cabins have refrigerators?

What can you bring onboard? (water? wine? nothing?)

Can you purchase 6pks/cases of water on the ship?

Can you bring your own wine and pay corkage?

7 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

There's always one.....Thank you for taking time to leave your negative comment....If you've got nothing valuable to add to this thread, you should just move along...and please, don't respond to this post with another negative comment.....thank you

He might not have been polite in the way he said it but he is right though every question you have asked you could find with the search button.  They have all been asked multiple times.  Also he did have add something to the thread, he gave suggestions on how to find all the answers you need.

Personally I prefer to use the search button because you not only find what you are looking for but usually there is other info out there that you will need add well.

10 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

Do the balcony cabins have refrigerators?

What can you bring onboard? (water? wine? nothing?)

Can you purchase 6pks/cases of water on the ship?

Can you bring your own wine and pay corkage?

All staterooms on Liberty have refrigerators.

You can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom, which are subject to corkage.

You can bring 12 containers of soft drinks per stateroom, each no larger than 500ml.

You can buy water on the ship, both singles and packages of 1L bottles.

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

All staterooms on Liberty have refrigerators.

You can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom, which are subject to corkage.

You can bring 12 containers of soft drinks per stateroom, each no larger than 500ml.

You can buy water on the ship, both singles and packages of 1L bottles.

Thanks!

You can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom? (even though it's 2 adults and 3 kids? They have 2 cabins, so they can bring 4 bottles?)  when you say 'subject to corkage' do you mean if you take it to the dining room?  do they allow you to bring the wine to your cabin or do they hold it? (on CCL we can carry on 1 bottle per adult and consume it in our stateroom at no charge, but if you bring it to the dining room, you pay corkage)

Edited by AnitaVacation

Does RCCL have a way to order bottles of water to be delivered to your cabin before your cruise, or do you have to wait until you are onboard?

14 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

Thanks!

You can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom? (even though it's 2 adults and 3 kids? They have 2 cabins, so they can bring 4 bottles?)  when you say 'subject to corkage' do you mean if you take it to the dining room?  do they allow you to bring the wine to your cabin or do they hold it? (on CCL we can carry on 1 bottle per adult and consume it in our stateroom at no charge, but if you bring it to the dining room, you pay corkage)

Any stateroom with an adult age 21 or over can have two bottles of wine brought on, regardless of the number of guests in the stateroom.

Subject to corkage (which seems to be rarely charged) if brought to a public venue.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

No pre-cruise entertainment reservations on Liberty.

WiFi prices will be in your Cruise Planner on Royal's website.

No app supported on Liberty with texting ability as of today.  May come in the future.

Anytime dinins is available, called My Time Dining (MTD) on Royal.

Room service charge is $8 per order, except for continental breakfast items in the morning.

Don't miss the ice show.

for sure, go to the ice show. And don't be afraid to go skating yourself. Skates and helmets are provided. You need socks and long pants. Then you can tell your friends that you went skating on a cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean/Caribbean Sea. I think that is pretty cool.

14 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

Does RCCL have a way to order bottles of water to be delivered to your cabin before your cruise, or do you have to wait until you are onboard?

Yes, you can order an Evian water package to be delivered to your stateroom pre-cruise.  I believe the choice is either 12 or 24 one-liter bottles.

4 hours ago, BSocial said:

There is a family doing a Live Review of Liberty this week if you want to follow.  I hope this brings up the entire thread:   

Also, for the internet package, check the cruise planner frequently.  The prices for a Multiple Device package may change randomly on a day to day basis. .  

Thank you!  I will keep an eye on that thread!  When you say prices change randomly on the internet...do you mean before the cruise or once onboard?  I'm not even sure if they are interested in wifi, but just in case.  

AnitaVacation (clever screen name)...also for the adults go to QUEST. The night and time will be posted in your Cruise Compass. It will be held in Studio B. The ice show will also be in Studio B, deck 3. 

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

AnitaVacation (clever screen name)...also for the adults go to QUEST. The night, time will be posted in your Cruise Compass. It will be held in Studio B. The ice show will also be in Studio B, deck 3. 

What is QUEST? a nightclub? a show? a game?

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Any stateroom with an adult age 21 or over can have two bottles of wine brought on, regardless of the number of guests in the stateroom.

Subject to corkage (which seems to be rarely charged) if brought to a public venue.

If you bring wine....keep it in your carry-on??

1 hour ago, AnitaVacation said:

Thank you!  I will keep an eye on that thread!  When you say prices change randomly on the internet...do you mean before the cruise or once onboard?  I'm not even sure if they are interested in wifi, but just in case.  

I meant pre-cruise, in the online cruise planner. If your Brother does not have an account on Royal Caribbean’s website, encourage him to create an account, and link his cruise confirmation.    Then, he can log in and browse the cruise planner for their cruise.  It will show current prices for various options (dining, internet, beverage, excursions, spa, etc).  

Once they have a Royal ID, also, they can download the Royal Caribbean International app onto their phone, log in, and their cruise info will be available on the app.  Itinerary, hours in port, info about the ship, etc. 

If they are interested in Internet packages, one of their party can purchase a multi-device package, if they need devices connected simultaneously.  A few months ago in my cruise planner for a March cruise, a 4-device Surf and Stream package was  - $23 a day.  The next day it was $27 a day.   $23 a day (for 4 devices!) was a great price less than $6 a person per day. 

Edited by BSocial

Wine must be brought on thru carry-on.  My wife is the only one drinking wine so we bring a glass to dinner with us or to the show.

Consider the Royal Refreshment package..every drink without alcohol.  Cheapest on sale pre-cruise on Black Friday came to $18/day.

5 hours ago, AnitaVacation said:

What is QUEST? a nightclub? a show? a game?

Without giving a lot away about QUEST, it's an late night adult only game. Kind of a scavenger hunt theme. It's funny whether your a spectator or a team member participant.  

Edited by davekathy

16 hours ago, AnitaVacation said:

If you bring wine....keep it in your carry-on??

We've found it best to keep wine in the carry-on.