Room Service Changes Suspended!!

Indytraveler83

Carnival takes in (on average) a little over $1400 per passenger on a 7-day cruise.  That includes shopping, drinks, excursions, etc.   On that same 7 day cruise, Carnival will spend $87 per passenger on food.  That's $12 a day.   That's the "waste" Carnival is trying to cut down.  
I think they should go the other way.  Up the quality of what is served, spend a little more time on preparation, and offer smaller portions. 

I am heading to Miami on Saturday for our cruise on the Magic on Sunday. I was disappointed to read about the change hitting us with no advanced notice (but what would we really do?...cancel?), but happy to hear they are reconsidering. On the flip side, I do see the amount of food that is wasted on cruises and the mind set of people who think they "paid for it". There will always be THOSE people anywhere you go, whether the local buffet or a cruise. I think on our cruise, room service usage will go up tremendously just because they might start charging for it at some point in the future. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

I think that this was actually a big planned PR event for Carnival.  Announce charging for room service, get tons of press, angry customers and then reverse course based on customer response.  Then signal to everyone that they have listened to their customers and reacted accordingly.  Brilliant!

3 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Sorry have to disagree. As ships get bigger they need larger crews. Why should we accept less service on larger ships?

Okay, what I was trying to say was the included room service is obviously a popular feature on Carnival, going by others on here saying they use it regularly or by others reporting about seeing all the trays in the corridors. So as Carnival is moving towards bigger ships that carry more passengers, they are faced with a decision, either keep it included and increase the number of crew members needed to to provide the service to more passengers or start charging for it to attempt to reduce the demand and keep the staffing needed to a minimum. They chose the latter, which is par for the course as they have made other attempts to reduce staffing in other areas as well. Not saying I agree with it, I'm just pointing out the obvious.      

7 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m starting to think that John Heald is unwittingly using CC members and other social media followers as focus groups. I don’t think this change was announced anywhere else.

If so, it's a good idea.

Focus groups done right cost money.  Another method would be to try the change on one or two ships.  Best would be to have multiple versions:

* Free all day

* Free until 10pm

* Free all day for suites; free until 10pm for others

* One free per room per day

* Free on sea day mornings

Maybe try them on different lines of Carnival Corp

3 hours ago, Gypsywych said:

Carnival takes in (on average) a little over $1400 per passenger on a 7-day cruise.  That includes shopping, drinks, excursions, etc.   On that same 7 day cruise, Carnival will spend $87 per passenger on food.  That's $12 a day.   That's the "waste" Carnival is trying to cut down.  
I think they should go the other way.  Up the quality of what is served, spend a little more time on preparation, and offer smaller portions. 

Ok, but how do you offer smaller portions in a buffet?

I am actually annoyed by this, because it cements into people’s minds the mentality that if they kick and fuss and cause a scene, they’ll get exactly what they want. Which amuses me because JH is always blabbering on about how entitled some customers are, yet he’s happily enabling it. 

Ohwell. Here’s hoping this also includes Carnival ships in Australia, who always had to pay for room service anyway. I mean, I doubt it, but hey. A girl can dream. 

15 hours ago, splash_in_the_water said:

Imagine the convo in the baord room:

boss person: "So, have any of you thought  put  in any thought this weekend about ways to make more money?"

underling: "yes. So you know how we have that free room service, well, til 10 anyway?"

bp: "yes, the customers love it, one of the many reasons they keep coming back....you're not thinking what I think you're thinking are you?"

u: *grins* "precisely"

bp: "well now, we can't just go  charging for everything now can we, what about the people?"

u: "well, we could...hasn't stopped us yet"

Very good. Very clever writing. Made me laugh. Thanks.

18 hours ago, berniez said:

I wonder if this became a legal issue. You have paid for your cruise already based on current rules, and they change the rules after you paid. I am not a lawyer but I wonder if this is breach of contract. Wonder if complaints and asking for refunds changed this.

Not a lawyer either, but seeing as there is wording in your ticket contract about making changes. I am sure the is wording to cover Carnival if they choose to increase or add fees.

3 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

Oh please do explain how this would have been a cutback.  

Is it that difficult for you to understand? It is a cutback in the quality of the cruise product, plain and simple.  The cruise (actually cruises - BTB) product I purchased included free Room Service.  The product they were going to be delivering to me come this time next year, when I finally sail, would not.  It was cut out, thus a cutback.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Simple.  It use to be free, then they were going to charge for it.  That's a cutback.  They took away (Cutback) the free part.

What he said.

10 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

While you can't stop people from overloading their plates, you can  a) add a server or two to dish out portions (which is unlikely since paying for labor is a higher cost than food), 

b) portion the food in smaller sizes which will cut down on what many people put on their plate. 

14 hours ago, Fla Senior said:

I think that this was actually a big planned PR event for Carnival.  Announce charging for room service, get tons of press, angry customers and then reverse course based on customer response.  Then signal to everyone that they have listened to their customers and reacted accordingly.  Brilliant!

You mean like "New Coke" vs "Classic Coke"?

Well, brilliant, indeed!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

:classic_biggrin: On the Breeze in December there were "Bacon Police".  If you asked for bacon she put 2 slices on your plate.  You had to ask for each ensuing pair of slices.  It was all done with a smile :classic_rolleyes:

On 1/6/2019 at 9:25 AM, berniez said:

I wonder if this became a legal issue. You have paid for your cruise already based on current rules, and they change the rules after you paid. I am not a lawyer but I wonder if this is breach of contract. Wonder if complaints and asking for refunds changed this.

My husband called customer service and said just that. I paid for something in full and you changed it.  That is shady. Anyways he called early one morning and the rep he spoke with said she had already taken 10 similar calls that morning.  We all spoke loudly and they listened I suppose. He actually said I paid for a Camry and you are gonna deliver a Corolla lol

Edited by Mommawo

1 hour ago, Gypsywych said:

While you can't stop people from overloading their plates, you can  a) add a server or two to dish out portions (which is unlikely since paying for labor is a higher cost than food), 

b) portion the food in smaller sizes which will cut down on what many people put on their plate. 

I'm sure it also wouldn't hurt if they had smaller plates. Those massive ones almost make you feel like you have to load up. A smaller plate might make someone say "I'll just get more later" to which they might not.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, berniez said:

Not a legal issue per the contract we sign when we book.

I booked a cruise last year that advertised free 24/7 room service at the time of booking, but when I got onboard that had changed. Last year Carnival started charging for room service after 10PM. I called CS after I got home but was told that things like that can change and are not breach of contract.

I think they gave me a token credit, which probably could be used to prove culpability if I chose to seek legal options but haven't done so nor do I plan to. I'd rather let them know how I feel with my wallet. Haven't booked another cruise since, still not sure if I will - especially if all room service goes extra charge.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'm sure it also wouldn't hurt if they had smaller plates. Those massive ones almost make you feel like you have to load up. A smaller plate might make someone say "I'll just get more later" to which they might not.

They went to those huge plates when they took away the trays.  Again, to save money by not washing trays.   But I absolutely agree with you.  It is very easy to put far too much on those huge oval plates.  Everything looks so good!  :classic_biggrin:

On 1/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, berniez said:

Most contracts drafted by a corporation have a clause that indicates that they can change things at will. Don't know if this is true in Carnival's case.

2 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

This change was not a legal issue!!    Wow. I was kinda in agreement with charging for Room service, but they should have, and I think they will charge "room service" fee of $2.99 to $7.99.  That's my guess. 

So you agreed with them charging for room service?

A big factor in our choosing Carnival over RC for our cruises has been the fact that RI seems to be nickel and diming you for everything.

One of the reasons the wife and I cruise instead of taking a different type of vacation is because of the "all-inclusive" nature of it.
I don't mind paying for drinks, since we don't drink very much.

I don't mind paying for "specialty" desserts, coffees or restaurants, since it can be nice to have an upgrade from the "standard" fare once in a while.

However I really expect room service to be included in the basic package.
I wasn't too upset when they divided the menu and started charging for certain items I would consider "specialty".

I understood their reasoning on it.
But basic snacks like cookies, milk, coffee, pbj, etc, I expect to not have to pay for.
We always order either coffee or hot tea in the morning to sip while we watch the sun rise from our balcony.

We also always order the same in the evening to have before bed.

According to the menu JH posted, I would now have to pay $3 for either coffee or hot water for tea every evening.
That's in addition to the tip I already give the steward when they deliver my room service.

Like I said, some things should be included

When I was discussing this with my wife, she brought up one of our close friends that we have cruised with several times.
Due to his health (he has mobility issues due to a bad back and leg problems) he spends the majority of the cruise in his room, except for joining us for dinner in the MDR.
He pretty well depends on room service during the day. 
And I am sure there are many others like him that this would cause a problem for.

Carnival is making the right decision by reversing this one.
It never was about food waste.
This is about finding a way to reduce staff enough further.

A quick perusal of the forums will reveal how noticeable the staff reductions have been in every area of the ship. Dining room, room steward, etc.

They keep trying to cut costs by cutting staff.
And while I understand the are a business and are in the business of making money, there has to be a balance in pleasing the customer and pleasing the stockholders.
Too many cutbacks and there won't be a customer to worry about.