2 Questions

boyerd

We went on our fist PG cruise in Mar 2018 for 11 days and it was magnificent in every way. However the carpeting in all dining rooms was old and smelled ( I didn't notice buy my wife who has a sensitive nose did).

So my questions are;

1) Has anyone else noticed this and when is the ship due for a refit?

2) Heard a rumor that PG is getting a new or different ship...any truth to this?

Thanks

I've noticed the carpets at various times in the past, between soft goods refits (I started cruising the PG in 2000.) Usually n and around the stairs leading up and down towards the gangway.

But in their defense I believe it's very difficult to keep the carpets pristine when pax are trooping off and on the ship soaking wet, with sand in their shoes, all in a humid, tropical environment.  So I cut them some slack, and don't let it bother me.

I have heard absolutely no recent rumours about a new ship.

In March of 2018, the carpeting in the dining rooms was probably less than a year old since the Paul Gauguin had been in dry dock the previous year. We spoke to crew members when we were onboard in late 2017, and they told us that those who stayed onboard as the ship headed to dry dock (without passengers onboard) spent all of their time ripping up carpeting and installing new carpeting. The next dry dock will be in 2020 after the Fiji to Bali cruise and before the Fiji to Tahiti cruise. At least the Paul Gauguin leaves time to get to dry dock and back from dry dock with no passengers onboard. That's very unusual for a cruise line.

We have never noticed a smell to the carpeting, and we have been on a cruise early in the year before dry dock. As Wendy said, cruisers on board can bring in a lot of dirt. There isn't a lot of time between cruises to shampoo the rugs.

On the other hand, we just cruised on HAL, and the Prinsendam was just one 6 night cruise out of dry dock. Our Neptune Suite smelled like dirty clothes, and it seemed to be coming from the mattress and pillows. I had some Lysol spray with me (the benefit of not having to fly to Port Everglades), but it only helped for a few days without spraying again). Much of the carpeting in the hallways was worn to the point of the pattern being gone in the center. Deck 12 looked good, even though we were on the way to the Crow's Nest,  but deck 11 carpeting was extremely worn.  Since the Prinsendam was sold after we made our reservations for that cruise, and won't be turned over to it's new owner until July,  I can understand why they may not maintain it, but it was our first and last cruise on HAL. We already have the Paul Gauguin booked later this year, and we can't wait.