Platinum dinners: Ribeyes are now $22 at Cagneys!

fstuff1

9 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It's time for me to look at MSC maybe.   Do they honor NCL's latitudes guests' status?  

Yes, platinum+ matched to their highest black level. Afaik regular platinum does as well.

It is closer to Costa than NCL, RCI or Celebrity but MSC definitely has potential. They messed up their beverage packages, they exclude drinks from special menus, and actually put out a new "special" Caribbean menu with standard IBA drinks like bahama mama with well liquor but refused to honour it on the package even though the price was the same like a mojito from the regular menu. By the rules it was probably okay because of the "special" menu. But the bar manager promised to check with their office to get permission to change it due to negative feedback and two days later the supervisors were distributing the new rules to the bar staff to include drinks from the special menu for the package.

Reminded me of NCL a couple of years back working hard to balance company interests with guest satisfaction. Every time we met somewhere he checked if I had any suggestions and was honestly interested in how his department was doing.

Same with managers and asst. managers helping out behind the bar when it gets to busy and actively moving staff around to cut down wait times.

If there were just less french/italian/german people on this ship or at least more of them with an international mindset. 

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

I too am disturbed by this....if they are going to give you a free dinner in a specialty restaurant, it should be entirely free, with no limitation's.   Or else they should simply say you will get a 'discount' at the specialty restaurant.

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

I would think marketing could see a downside to this price increase and the latitudes program.   It just looks cheap and thoughtless as far as what the free meal was supposed to be for returning latitudes guests.  It just says we like you, but only up to a point.   It cheapens the gesture of free meal certificate.  As someone said, I don't care about $2.40 really.  But I feel somewhat insulted by it being required of me in this situation.  

Absolutely agree.   

• Like 1

From Latitude benefits T&Cs:

Dinner For Two At Cagney's Or Le Bistro With A Bottle Of Wine6

6 Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $20 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Entrée item Côte De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées. No restaurant substitutions, Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships.

• Like 1

We were on the Spirit for 4 back to back cruise OCT< NOV<DEC 2018, so we had 4 dinners at Cagney's.  All waiters said it was the price of your entree, plus side dish that needed to be under $20.  All the entrees were $2-$4 less at that time.  So a ribeye, plus one side dish was $20 at the time.  They did not change their stories, all 4 different waiters said the same thing.  Whether or not they would have charged, I don't know.  I ordered the petit, which at the time was $16.

But, I agree, you can't say it is free it there is a charge, no matter how small.  

19 minutes ago, Level six said:

We were on the Spirit for 4 back to back cruise OCT< NOV<DEC 2018, so we had 4 dinners at Cagney's.  All waiters said it was the price of your entree, plus side dish that needed to be under $20.  All the entrees were $2-$4 less at that time.  So a ribeye, plus one side dish was $20 at the time.  They did not change their stories, all 4 different waiters said the same thing.  Whether or not they would have charged, I don't know.  I ordered the petit, which at the time was $16.

But, I agree, you can't say it is free it there is a charge, no matter how small.  

I always thought that one entree and one side was included, up to $20 for the entree but the side didn't matter - you were just allowed one. That's very odd you were told that as that's not what has been practice for us - although I note "senseib" has quoted the verse of the T&C's which doesn't mention a side.

35 minutes ago, casofilia said:

If there were just less french/italian/german people on this ship .......

??  Was that you Mike, from Germany?

Yep, I wasn't talking about citizenship, not checking their passports, but the language and group building. Same with huge amounts of for example chinese travel groups on NCL. If the group is big enough the cruise line caters imho to much towards those special language groups, which in turn then approach the staff in their first language which annoys the heck out of me and the whole atmosphere on board changes. I have met great people from a lot of different places all foreign to english just like me on primarily english speaking cruise lines as everyone expected to get out of their language comfort zone.

On MSC, same with costa, it is more like 500 italians, 400 french, 300 german, 300 spanish, 300 english, ... completely changes the experience. 

Sorry for offtopic 🙂

btw: I have been drunk enough on cruises that people thought I was british not german 😉 

13 minutes ago, casofilia said:

At one time it was "thought" that only 1 side was allowed but no one ever had it enforced once they queried it if the server tried to do that.  The statement was over-ruled by the head waiter or Assistant Maitre d'

Earlier this year we were told that we could have 2 sides 🙂

The server kind of insisted I pick a 2nd side!

4 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

Let the nickel and dime-ing continue...... Happy New Year 2019 :classic_rolleyes:

As someone cleverly posted to my thread regarding 1 instead of 3 bottles of liquor in the Deluxe Owner's Suite (5 day cruise)... 

You can't spell NiCkLe and dime without NCL.

• Haha 1

NCL can do the math to determine how many $2 upcarges it would take to loose 1 paying couple to another form of vacation. 

This is thread clearly shows differing levels of disappointment in their best customers.  

I believe it is a mistake to anger us. 

5 minutes ago, trex-de said:

NCL can do the math to determine how many $2 upcarges it would take to loose 1 paying couple to another form of vacation. 

This is thread clearly shows differing levels of disappointment in their best customers.  

I believe it is a mistake to anger us. 

Funny thing is that so many of the people who complain on this forum and make stupid jokes about the Nickle and Diming are the same people who are coming back to tell us about their next NCL cruise.   Seems odd,don't you think?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

Funny thing is that so many of the people who complain on this forum and make stupid jokes about the Nickle and Diming are the same people who are coming back to tell us about their next NCL cruise.   Seems odd,don't you think?

I don't find it odd at all.  Just because someone has a negative opinion or complaint about an NCL policy, doesn't mean they won't cruise NCL. I can't stand the constant nickel and diming, but I find enough value in the product to continue to cruise with them. If I find a better value elsewhere, then I may choose to cruise elsewhere. But to leave NCL solely because they charged me $2.40 for a steak that used to be free would be foolish.

• Like 2

Even the certificate you get in your room says, 1 entree, 1 appetizer and 1 dessert...........I think.  Oh well, that is what they all said to me, and I am also a big rule follower, so I would never break "the rule".  I guess it depends on who you know.   

Unfortunately the statement that says "1 entree" is totally illogical. Who, when you are being GIVEN a free meal, provides only a plate with a piece of meat on it?  And would then expect you to pay for the sides?

NCL needs a cynic with a master's degree in the use of English to proof read every document they publish.

Unfortunately if it happened many on Cruise Critic would have nothing to post about.

If you are going to be pedantic quote in full:-

Dinner For Two At Cagney's Or Le Bistro With A Bottle Of Wine6
(per stateroom)

Dinner For Two At Moderno Or La Cucina6
(per stateroom)

Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $20 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Entrée item Côte De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées. No restaurant substitutions, Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships.

(But note there is no mention of sides!!!)

10 hours ago, Level six said:

Even the certificate you get in your room says, 1 entree, 1 appetizer and 1 dessert...........I think.  Oh well, that is what they all said to me, and I am also a big rule follower, so I would never break "the rule".  I guess it depends on who you know.   

Now that is a legit complaint you are bringing up.This stuff about I deserve better treatment or I am mad as H@LL is what ticks me off. Yes, I was shocked when we went to Cagney's and I had to pay extra for surf and turf as I had never had to do this before and we have been platinum for many yeas. I do think the extra charge should be noted somewhere, not after you order or after you get to the restaurant.