Book with Royal or safe to book on our own? Concerned about times

new-to-cruising22

Hi all,

hoping someone will have some insight here.   Going on a cruise, only my 2nd one and wondering if there will be enough time to book our own tour or if we are better off going with RCI for our day in Grand Cayman.   I understand you need to take a tender off and back in and I am not familiar with that.   Also we get in at 10 am and are one of 4 ships in port that day.    Our group would really like to do the Turtle farm and also Stingray city.   There is a tour but which includes both as well as a stop at the rum factory and a stop in hell which leaves me thinking we would not get much time at any of the stops.   

Thoughts?

thanks so much!  These boards have been so helpful!

Hell takes about 10 minutes at most.  It's right by the Turtle Farm so isn't even far out of your way. Not sure whether the "rum factory" part is Tortuga, where they just offer tastings of rum and rum cake, (with options to buy) or if it's the Seven Fathoms Distillery (which may include a tour).

Stingray City will probably take the longest, as you need to get on the boat, travel out into the North Sound, spend the time with the rays, travel back and disembark.  If they go all that way out, they aren't likely to only keep you in the water for 10 minutes.  🙂

What I'm not sure about is how long they will give you at the Turtle Farm.

Hell is overrated...not worth the trip, unless you want to say you've been "to hell"....you could say that without it being so!

None of the stuff you're likely to do requires an excursion.  GC is a very EASY DIY day!  The buses are great...$2.50 pp...and run regularly.  You can google the routes....Grand Cayman bus routes. The bus goes to the Turtle Farm...you can google that, too.     7 Mile Beach is all public...with lounger/umbrella rentals.  Shopping is right off the tender dock...the tender takes about 5 mins. from ship to shore.  (Of course, it takes a bit to load it up!....they carry about 150 or more at a time).

You will need to be back at the tender dock 30 mins prior to sailaway....

Bring a watch set to "Ship's time", so there is no risk of missing the ship!  Your cell phone will show local time, and it may not be the same as ship's time.  Check the clocks at the exits and make sure your watch and the ship's clock read the same!

On 1/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, cb at sea said:

Hell is overrated...not worth the trip, unless you want to say you've been "to hell"....you could say that without it being so!

Maybe you think it is overrated, others don't.