MS Roald Amudsen

jonikal

We would appreciate an update on the status of the Amudsen.  Is she still under construction, and if not, has she undergone any sea trials?  How certain is it that the ship will be ready to sail later this year?  Thanks.

• 4 months later...

As far as I've heard the first trip will start on June 19th. ! I'm anxiously waiting for first reports and reviews as we're booked on her sister ship , the Fridtjof Nansen without knowing what to expect and whether this second ship of the new fleet will be completed in time!

I have heard that Hurtigruten knew about the delays and they knew it already back in March that delay will happen until June! I have also heard they made a huge mistake in building the haul and now they are cutting and repairing. I am off to Spitzbergen next and than Nansen. We are coming because of their crew, overall Hurtigruten doesn't have standards such as Lindblad and Quark.

Edited by BobFischcruiser
Mistype

10 hours ago, terry&mike said:

If they are cutting and repairing, do you think they will make the June projection? Or do you think they will postpone again?

Well, I went ahead and took a leap of faith and jumped on board! I booked DH and I on the July 21 sailing to Norway and Spitsbergen. I hope the ship is ready, or I guess we'll be knocking around inland Norway. 

I have just read that they have been undergoing sea trials again and the first voyage is said to be on June 27th. now. Cruise friends who are booked on that voyage are not absolutely sure yet if that date still stands, but say they'll know in a few days as their final payment day is at the end of May.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you'll write a review about your experiences on that brand-new ship!

I did not want to start another topic so I hope someone can answer my question on this one. I am considering taking an Antarctic cruise on MS Roald Amundsen in Feb 2020. When I started booking the cruise on  the .no site the cruise indicates it starts on Feb 11 while on the .com site it says it starts on Feb 12. I can't imagine this is a translation issue since on other pages on the .no site it also lists it as Feb 12 after translation. Any idea how I can find out when this cruise actually departs? I have pasted the order displays from the two sites below. 

YOUR ORDER

Chilean fjords, Antarctica, Falkland Islands - Great explorers and wildlife

MS Roald Amundsen

February 11, 2020

cabin

Polar exterior

Larger cabins on the middle deck

Luggage Class: RR

Change
Overall
NOK 174 682

including taxes and fees

Chilean Fjords, Antarctica and Falklands - Great Explorers and Wildlife

MS Roald Amundsen

February 12, 2020

Cabin

Polar Outside

Outside cabin on lower/middle deck

Cabin grade: RR

Change
Total
$25,040

Conctacting Hurtigruten directly might provide the appropriate answer, but I suspect it is also a question of whether the mentioned date includes a flight or not. The earlier date would be the date of the flight before the cruise, the later date is the date the ship departs from port. I would check carefully for each quote what is included in the price and what is not (particularly with regards to flights) and the day by day itinerary if provided.

The price difference is crazy, particularly if the price in NOK includes the flight and the price in $ does not (or maybe it's not US$ ?).

Edited by SarniaLo

The latest information from Hurtigruten is that June 27 will be the ship's first sailing date.  The ship, according to my research, is currently at the Flora shipyard having sailed there recently from Kleven.  In our experience over the years sailing with Hurtigruten, it continues to be difficult, and yes, frustrating, trying to get reliable information.  A case in point, the launching of the MS Spitsbergen a few years ago was delayed several times and communication with passengers was sorely lacking.

Not to mention the mishandling of the failed Northwest Passage transit on the Fram in Sept of 2018 which was reported  by numerous passengers on this site.  Despite all that, we still love the ships, their itineraries and their amazing crew members.  

Hopefully the Amundsen will manage to transit the NW Passage this year as planned.

2 hours ago, SarniaLo said:

The price difference is crazy, particularly if the price in NOK includes the flight and the price in $ does not (or maybe it's not US$ ?

Two different cabin categories- however in general prices in NOK are much more favorable than in other currencies - I have observed 30% price differences on the exact same product.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Two different cabin categories- however in general prices in NOK are much more favorable than in other currencies - I have observed 30% price differences on the exact same product.

If 442 and 450 in the quote are the cabin numbers, then it seems to be the same category (cabins on the same deck, just a couple of doors apart and seem to be the same size).

Yes I agree prices in NOK are usually cheaper, I booked now all my Norway coastal trip on the Norwegian website, but that is a substantial difference (note however that if you buy on the Norwegian website in NOK, then the contract is ruled by Norwegian laws and not your own country's).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarniaLo said:

If 442 and 450 in the quote are the cabin numbers, then it seems to be the same category (cabins on the same deck, just a couple of doors apart and seem to be the same size).

You are right same Cabin Class - difference in price from .com to .no pages.

I contacted Hurtigruten and they indicated the Feb 12 date is correct for the start of the trip, not the date the ship leaves. The representative indicated Feb 12 is the date for the overnight in Santiago with the flight to Punta Arenas on the 13th. So if have my flights arranged but not booked and I am going to try to book the trip and the .no site and see how it goes. 

thanks to all

OK, I tried to make a reservation on the .no site and I get all the way to the payment page and my nationality and residence has been changed to Norway. I edited it to change it back and it accepts the changes but when I get to the payment page it is back to Norway. Does anyone know how to get past this or if this is an issue?

18 hours ago, p18750 said:

Does anyone know how to get past this or if this is an issue?

I have booked at the .no page with no problems. However in Europe geoblocking is banned - might be that Hurtigruten is using geoblocking outside Europe.

Try to contact booking@hurtigruten.com and make you reservation in NOK by email - then they can provide a link for payment.

I booked the Feb 12th 2020 departure as soon as it was released, but did so via my UK TA. This is a bucket list trip for a special birthday, and we are hoping the  departure is far enough ahead that  the ship will be opertaing by then. Felt a bit odd choosing a cabin as pot luck with no information from previous travellers! Normally I do a huge amount of research first.

The overall Hurtigrutren package includes the night of the 12th February at a hotel in Santiago then a non-upgradeable LATAM flight on the 13th down to Punta Arenas for embarkation later that day. According to the LATAM website the direct flights are scheduled for 3 hrs 21 , but some go via Puerto Mott with either a stopever or even a change of plane depending on which flight departure. I'm a bit concerned by the modest weight limit for the carry on luggage as I will have to be selective in choosing my camera gear, though I may wear my multi-pocket "poachers jacket" to take some extra gear.

We are flying in to Santiago to arrive on the morning of the 11th and have booked an extra night at the hotel chosen by Hurtigruten, the Sheraton Hotel and Convention Centre. I believe my TA mentioned a second cheaper choice (I think it was a HIlton). On the way back Hurtigruten recommend that you do not book an international flight leaving before the evening, though we will be staying on in Santiago for an extra couple of days.

This is our first time with Hurtigruten. On our previous trips with other lines there has always been an active role call but I've not yet been able to find one time time around. Is that usual for Hurtigruten? I see it is in any case lumped in with other roll calls.

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

On our previous trips with other lines there has always been an active role call but I've not yet been able to find one time time around.

Very little activities on Hurtigruten Roll Call - not many Hurtigruten cruisers at CC.

You’ll get better responses in this forum.

I ended up contacting a travel agent in Oslo and they were able to get me the lower fare on the Feb 12 trip with no issue. 

I also normally do a lot of research on the ship and compare cabin types but there does not seem to be any information on this cruise ship so I am also flying blind. Due to the chance of poor weather and rough seas I have chosen a cabin on deck 4 near the middle of the ship.